Religion
I believe in myself.
The following 1 user Likes Jan's post:
  • Wolven
Not religous myself but try to understand religous people instead of shutting them out and acting like atheism is really cool.
The following 3 users Like Bobby's post:
  • Dimitris, Exotic, Eclipze
I was raised Roman Catholic and went through the final stages of confirmation as a teenager. I think being brought up this way definitely taught me some good morals (however I was never that devout, I went to church maybe once every couple of months). At the time of my confirmation, saying in front of a high up person in the church that I was christian it was about the same time I started to doubt religion. I starting learning about science and the big bang (leading up to me joining secondary school I was pretty naive to the fact that others weren't religious). And I reasoned that the big bang was created by God, etc.

Slowly but surely I started losing more and more faith until the point now that I would consider myself an atheist. I don't flat out disagree with religion and I do find things confusing to accept without God being in the picture. It's also interesting to think that a lot of religions are linked: With Christianity basically being Judaism but with Gods son coming to the world, Islam has Jesus in the bible, and Sikhism came out of Islam but they refused to accept the cast system. Another interesting point is that nobody knows the true origins of Hinduism, so for all we know it could be the correct one.

My stand point on the afterlife is that I wish there was one, but in my opinion I'm not going to spend so much time and energy praising a specific religion to be gifted with a wonderful afterlife if there doesn't even end up being one. Instead, I just believe in being a good person and if there is a God who has any good sense about them, then they should let those who are kind in, despite their faith. The closest thing I believe to there being an afterlife is that we're in a dream state, so we're just constantly dreaming (there's a thing stating that you can only see the faces of those you know when you are dreaming, so maybe something like that - I am aware that are brains aren't active when we're dead or what not, but as I said it's the closest thing to an afterlife I could even slightly consider).

I chose to do religious studies for GCSE as I found the topic of religion and different cultures extremely interesting and one of the religions we covered was Buddhism and from learning about it I fell in love with it. I won't go into too much detail as there is a lot about it but all in all, they practice simply being a good person and learning how to stop having negative things in your life. They don't particularly believe in a God either, but they don't flat out say one doesn't exist too. The Dalai Lama is someone I see as being very wise and a lot of people would argue it's more of a way of life than anything. So if I had to identify as anything it would most likely be Buddhism, but a lot of people find that quite pretentious to say.

I do have quite a cynical view of religion too, despite me believing it has a lot of good life lessons. I studied Sociology for my A levels and we learnt of different perspectives people have in society, such as Functionalism and Marxism and one of the things we covered was religion and we explored how religion is something that in the view of the Marxist, is something that calms the working class down. There is a quote in the bible (I don't know the exact quote) which basically states that anyone who is wealthy in life, will not be accepted into the gates of Heaven. Meaning that a lot of the working class (especially many years ago) would not bother starting an uprising against the bourgeois and our capitalist society, as although they were suffering in the real world, their agony would all be worth it in the afterlife as they would be rewarded with the idea of mansions, etc. in the afterlife.
[Image: f2kzlKW.png]
The following 1 user Likes Divey's post:
  • Bobby
Bruh ya'll talking about getting dipped in a bit of water by an old man. Bruh pfft lol. God ain't real, prove me wrong
Wolven

(11-04-2018, 04:25 PM)Wolven Wrote: Bruh ya'll talking about getting dipped in a bit of water by an old man. Bruh pfft lol. God ain't real, prove me wrong

Can't lmao, there is zero evidence pointing to the existence of a creator deity
[Image: 7EmE7CZ.png]
Have I helped you or am I friendly?
+rep
The following 3 users Like Archer's post:
  • Jeffrey, Wolven, juicyorange
(11-04-2018, 05:31 PM)Archer Wrote:
(11-04-2018, 04:25 PM)Wolven Wrote: Bruh ya'll talking about getting dipped in a bit of water by an old man. Bruh pfft lol. God ain't real, prove me wrong

When I was younger I got a bit confused with having a religious faith and it has not contributed anything to my life and I started going to church less, but I still stayed in contact with the people I met there.
pls rep so i can be famous like soulripper
The following 1 user Likes Jeffrey's post:
  • juicyorange
i think when u die u just die and then nothing happens just like we can’t remember anything before birth

reply to divey cause idk how to snip

There is zero evidence Australia exists
(11-05-2018, 07:36 AM)juicyorange Wrote: i think when u die u just die and then nothing happens just like we can’t remember anything before birth

reply to divey cause idk how to snip

its been proven that consciousness is linked to the brain. Nothing after death would be a wrong way to describe it as there isn’t a “self” to experience the “nothing”
+rep
(11-05-2018, 09:38 AM)Nudelhollz Wrote:

There is zero evidence Australia exists

but you can explain the universe without a deity, the laws of physics are sufficient. You can’t explain the Asian tectonic shifts without Australia however.
+rep