Removal of the Teacher rank
Since I am a bit late to this party I am just going to sweep over comments I see instead of quoting people.

As someone who has disliked the teacher team since its creation, I am going to have to say I am all for this removal. The teacher team is at this point more about the prestige of the rank than actually helping people. Granted there are some people who have been teachers that just wanted to help people, but for the majority, they are either trying to use the rank to get admin or want the rank for a different title/badge.

To the people who are saying this is going to be bad because this means the admins are going to spammed more, it's not. Most people who are new to the server are either going to ask for help either in the OOC or send an @. The only time you will see them actually using /help was when you saw the teacher team spamming it in OOC. That hasnt been a thing in a while so I doubt the usage has been there. Anyone admin, ex-admin, or player who thinks this is going to be a negative affect on the admin team who now have to answer help based questions or help players on the server get over yourself. That has always been their job and them trying to pawn it off on other people is pathetic.

The admin team not teachers should be the ones answering questions regarding the server, helping players IG with problems they have with building, with roleplay with, anything honestly. You guys say this will take away from them answering @ calls for rule breakers. Fun fact, they arent answering @ calls already let alone with the inclusion of help calls. But this is leading into a convo about how I feel about some of the members of staff and that is not what this thread is for.

All in all we are not going to see much of a change at all in the removal of teachers. Just some people are shit brown titles anymore. OH and to the people saying we needed to poll the community for this, get over yourself. No your opinion on the removal of teachers doesnt matter. Its the staffs choice, not ours.
The following 10 users Like Fultz's post:
  • Lewwings, Alphaverse, MasterNoda, konsta, sebasti161, equal, Floodify, Wolven, Pollux, DVN
It's a bit a stupid to say that before removing the rank, "let the community decide".

The community cannot decide on everything, we cannot decide on who gets staff, we cannot decide if there should be new ranks, we cannot decide if there should be new content. We have the power to voice and feedback, and they get implemented with approval.

The teacher ranks being removed with community approval or not won't help at all, at the end of the day it's just normal players with a fancy rank that apply for a duty to help and teach players. (That was the purpose of the teacher rank originally, before it became another way to staff for some players and were given some special abilities such as giving RPPs or start a storm).

Like I said it before and I will repeat it again and I will emphasize it; What's the difference between a 1000-2000 hour experienced player with dozens of RPPs and a long loyal member of FL, to a teacher that is basically the same thing to the other player but has a rank? There's no difference whatsoever. Instead of everyone chatting shit how bad of a decision this is, how about help out players yourselves instead of hoping for someone with a teacher rank to help out instead of you? The community can be a better place if we all become collectively helpful, instead of relying on some teachers.

Back in the day, we never had teachers. When I was new, I asked in OOC or PM players with more than 500 hours and had a lot of RPPs. I hope that this will happen again in FL, I hope that everyone will give their part and be helpful.
The following 6 users Like konsta's post:
  • Pollux, sebasti161, Nevy, Baskingner, Lewwings, DVN
but how will I get admin back now if I cant be teacher
The following 6 users Like Nevy's post:
  • Tomo, Narcotic, James, Lewwings, Balls, DVN
(07-05-2018, 10:03 PM)Eeee394 Wrote: -Snip-

Eeee, we go way back to knowing eachother since 2011 and even ran a little server together, so you attempting to call me out, I take that personal aswell.

Instead of calling me an edgy veteran how about you show the same backbone you dare to show to regular players to the ones with the same rank as you, or above you? Because I can assure you you would have been able to push the teacher time into the right direction.

As for you saying you felt the teacher team wasn’t heading into the right direction when I was in charge, which is easy to say 1,5 years later, it sure as hell didn’t crumble, the overall opinion on teachers was nowhere near as bad as now.

Don’t claim stuff years afterwards, you always had a chance to state your opinion. But doing so years afterwards is weak as hell, don’t.
The following 1 user Likes Jan's post:
  • Archer
All the ex teachers now be learning to code so they can get their different colour Phys gun and more props again.
[Image: giphy.gif]
The following 4 users Like Marty's post:
  • Zona, Lewwings, Pollux, Balls
(07-06-2018, 06:04 AM)Marty Wrote: All the ex teachers now be learning to code so they can get their different colour Phys gun and more props again.

I’ve been learning ever since my demotion!!
The following 4 users Like Falc's post:
  • SpaghettiFTW, Zona, Lewwings, Pollux
(07-05-2018, 10:51 PM)Divey Wrote:
(07-05-2018, 10:50 PM)Reebs Wrote: The point is, Noda: the teachers were much more of a help than many think they were. 

As for what you said, Eeee, I just want to set the record straight here: I do not feel as if what happened to the rank is the fault of any of the teachers, nor the liaisons. That being said I have to agree with Grunt. While I was a teacher under Tomo and Falc, everything was fantastic but it just kind of progressively got worse as things went on and new liaisons were in and out. As I said I don’t think this is the fault of any specific liaison. Each liaison had their own things they wanted to do and some worked some didn’t. Unfortunately, Eeee you and Siphon were the unlucky guys who’s direction didn’t work and it resulted in the removal of the rank. I do not blame you or Siphon whatsoever.

As I've stated several times their direction was working, it's just the entire team were against the concept and wanted to move in a direction which would encourage more players to help out, rather than a select few who are rewarded over others.

I actually don’t see this, Divey. You all talked about how teachers were going to be the role models. Excellent role players who both acted maturely in both public and behind the scenes. Someone who got fabulous building skills and who will be there to assist role play and hand out rewards to exceptional role plays which staff doesn’t have much time to when the server is full and only one or two staff members are online like it often is these days. Teachers are great roleplayers with an amazing knowledge and experience with both the gamemode and the roleplay-styles which is important to have when you are going to set an example. They need teachers who are out in the streets where the roleplays are, not in the air where the admins fly. You need teachers who see the whole roleplay and sees who is in involved, not all the players who are at the scene. You need teachers who promote passive RP, underground RP and other types of roleplays which is less active on our servers, not teachers who contrafarm in a base with only themselves and other popular and well-known members. You need teachers who start the chats with new players who maybe don't know the intentions of what the server is for and you need teachers who can help both new and experienced players out to create the best roleplay scenarios you can get by using their knowledge and their own experience

I believe this is how the teacher team should work... Not how I have seen them for the last weeks. I have only seen teachers basing with each other on a hidden place in gas masks! How are the new players going to see the exceptional roleplayers who have been SELECTED to be role models for the future roleplayers here at FL, when they only sit in a room and contrafarm? 

I believe the issue is here and I think you guys really should rethink your actions and start working on what you agreed on in the first place.
[Image: clvck9d.png]
The following 3 users Like Zona's post:
  • Archer, Grunt, Reebs
It's all fun and games for a roleplay server, but in the end a lot of you people seem to have this image of the Teacher rank where the Teachers have to put in more effort in it than a regular 9-5 job. Just like administrators, teachers also do this as a free service to support the server. You can't expect every single teacher to always be promoting roleplay and/ or helping out new players. Sure, they should be answering questions and all, and trust me, whenever I saw a help call come in they did it ASAP.

You do need to remember however that these people play on the server because they enjoy playing on it, not because they want the Teacher rank as a chore. It gets very tiring sooner or later if things you are supposed to enjoy turn into chores.

It's good that the teacher rank is gone, because ultimately we do not need players on pedestals through an application form. Everyone in the community knows their stuff after a certain amount of time, and if you believe the teachers team was a requirement for Fearless to properly operate, then perhaps it's time that you yourself start contributing to assisting new players and promoting roleplay, because a mere handful of "elite" players shouldn't be responsible for that. We as the community together should be.
Regards,

[Image: mEVbpdN.png]
Thanks to Envy for the signature.
The following 5 users Like Yonno's post:
  • Exotic, Eeee394, Panda, Lewwings, Wolven
(07-06-2018, 09:58 AM)Yonno Wrote: It's all fun and games for a roleplay server, but in the end a lot of you people seem to have this image of the Teacher rank where the Teachers have to put in more effort in it than a regular 9-5 job. Just like administrators, teachers also do this as a free service to support the server. You can't expect every single teacher to always be promoting roleplay and/ or helping out new players. Sure, they should be answering questions and all, and trust me, whenever I saw a help call come in they did it ASAP.

You do need to remember however that these people play on the server because they enjoy playing on it, not because they want the Teacher rank as a chore. It gets very tiring sooner or later if things you are supposed to enjoy turn into chores.

It's good that the teacher rank is gone, because ultimately we do not need players on pedestals through an application form. Everyone in the community knows their stuff after a certain amount of time, and if you believe the teachers team was a requirement for Fearless to properly operate, then perhaps it's time that you yourself start contributing to assisting new players and promoting roleplay, because a mere handful of "elite" players shouldn't be responsible for that. We as the community together should be.

I think you also have missed the point which many has pointed out, they are normal roleplayers. How much time does it take to chat with a new player? I don't take much time at all. It is simply being nice and saying "Hey, whats up?" and there you have it. It doesn't have to be a 30 min long chat about love or whatever the topic will be. 

The thing is that when it states in the tips and requirements for becoming a teacher that you should all these things which is actually expected of you as a teacher then do it. Roleplay as normal but maybe involve a new player which you haven't roleplayed with. DO another roleplay style for maybe 1-2 hours or maybe just do a shop RP. Teachers often roleplay with other well-known players in the community and they forget that the community is more than them. The community is also the new players, the veteran role players who have roleplayed for ages, the roleplayers in the middle who isn't recent new and who hasn't been here for a long-term and the community is also the well-known players. I have never ever seen one of the "current" teachers roleplay with someone under 50 hours and that's not okay. If you don't want to be a role model and set an example but you want to contrafarm then resign and let someone else take the role. If you are just hungry on getting a shiny rank then resign and let someone else take the role. You don't have to be a teacher until you have to leave the server because you need to focus more on school or because you are getting promoted to a higher rank or whatever. Take a break in some month if you only want to roleplay with the well-known roleplayers and let someone else do the important job. 

The server has turned into a minge server now and I believe I'm not the only one who thinks this ...

(Sorry for the horrible grammatic... It went a bit too fast but yea)
[Image: clvck9d.png]
(07-06-2018, 09:48 AM)Zona Wrote:
(07-05-2018, 10:51 PM)Divey Wrote:
(07-05-2018, 10:50 PM)Reebs Wrote: The point is, Noda: the teachers were much more of a help than many think they were. 

As for what you said, Eeee, I just want to set the record straight here: I do not feel as if what happened to the rank is the fault of any of the teachers, nor the liaisons. That being said I have to agree with Grunt. While I was a teacher under Tomo and Falc, everything was fantastic but it just kind of progressively got worse as things went on and new liaisons were in and out. As I said I don’t think this is the fault of any specific liaison. Each liaison had their own things they wanted to do and some worked some didn’t. Unfortunately, Eeee you and Siphon were the unlucky guys who’s direction didn’t work and it resulted in the removal of the rank. I do not blame you or Siphon whatsoever.

As I've stated several times their direction was working, it's just the entire team were against the concept and wanted to move in a direction which would encourage more players to help out, rather than a select few who are rewarded over others.

I actually don’t see this, Divey. You all talked about how teachers were going to be the role models. Excellent role players who both acted maturely in both public and behind the scenes. Someone who got fabulous building skills and who will be there to assist role play and hand out rewards to exceptional role plays which staff doesn’t have much time to when the server is full and only one or two staff members are online like it often is these days. Teachers are great roleplayers with an amazing knowledge and experience with both the gamemode and the roleplay-styles which is important to have when you are going to set an example. They need teachers who are out in the streets where the roleplays are, not in the air where the admins fly. You need teachers who see the whole roleplay and sees who is in involved, not all the players who are at the scene. You need teachers who promote passive RP, underground RP and other types of roleplays which is less active on our servers, not teachers who contrafarm in a base with only themselves and other popular and well-known members. You need teachers who start the chats with new players who maybe don't know the intentions of what the server is for and you need teachers who can help both new and experienced players out to create the best roleplay scenarios you can get by using their knowledge and their own experience

I believe this is how the teacher team should work... Not how I have seen them for the last weeks. I have only seen teachers basing with each other on a hidden place in gas masks! How are the new players going to see the exceptional roleplayers who have been SELECTED to be role models for the future roleplayers here at FL, when they only sit in a room and contrafarm? 

I believe the issue is here and I think you guys really should rethink your actions and start working on what you agreed on in the first place.

But why should it be only a teacher that does all those things?
The point of the removal of the rank was that many people saw the fact there were teachers as a reason not to help in OCC ect. 
The teacher rank set a presidence where community members would stop helping because it was the teacher's job, a retoric I heard too frequently and has always been present though escalating as of recent due to community dynamics changing. 

That also combined with the fact that the rank unnecessary elevated players above everyone else for doing something anyone else can do. Many believed it was a gateway to staff.

If the whole community got more involved in helping everyone else then it should make the experience more pleasant. Wouldn't it be better if everyone on the server behaved like you described rather then a select four?
Regards,
Finn Conlon 

+Rep me Here
The following 3 users Like MrFinnConlon's post:
  • Eeee394, Zona, Lewwings