Inactive staff team
(09-04-2016, 11:39 AM)Midget Wrote: Stop giving administrator status to people who have played here for 1500 - 2000 hours.
Look at players that just joined, 100 - 200 hours. Get to know them and see if they could handle the job. Administration is NOT rocket science and a lot of people are willing and capable of doing it.

People with many hours generally get very bored of the server, if you offer the position to people who started recently they will be more energetic and motivated to play.
Anyone reasonable would know 99% of all the rules after 100 hours.

Get to know the low hour people! Go outside your bubble and "meet" people. There is 50 - 70 people on this server and 50% of them have potential!

This is a good point, but the reason people with more hours are looked at is because they often have a level of experience that newer players may not have. They know the server and the people very well and have been here a long time.

Another thing that more hours adds is a level of trust that new players cannot offer. If a player has been here for a long time, we are more likely to trust them with the powers a staff position includes. Promoting a fairly new player to us may feel as though we are going in blind.

Selecting candidates for staff is, of course, a case by case process. The things I have said above do not always apply. I am just explaining some flaws with your idea which are the reasons why we do not tend to look in that area of the playerbase.
[Image: tgRQtsH.png]
The following 3 users Like Tomo's post:
  • Agorith, mgdwszx, Random
(08-24-2016, 06:47 PM)Avgar Wrote: Alright, folks.

We hear you. You feel that there is a lack of staff or moderation on the servers. This is obviously an issue and as the staff team it is our job to address it. We hear you and we will update you on how we plan to solve this after we make some decisions on our side. (we'll address the suggestions to create a trial-mod rank and such).

We've made enough explanations as to why each one of us can be inactive or be misunderstood for being inactive (I fell pray to the desire to do this as well), but at the end of the day, we simply have to do something about it. Which we will. It will take some time, but your voice has been heard and won't be ignored.

I'm just going to state the obvious here, i'm not taking sides as i agree that too many staff member are inactive but i also notice that avgar has clearly stated that he / the staff team are going to try to resolve it.

Therefore, i see how it is easy to carry on arguments about the subject, but maybe if they didn't have to constantly argue on threads like this, they could get down to it.

I'm not taking sides, but tbh i think they have notices the issue, and now we just need to let them get to resolving it.

Regards,
Dan

The following 1 user Likes Danny Boy's post:
  • Ranger
(09-04-2016, 12:49 PM)Danny Boy Wrote:
(08-24-2016, 06:47 PM)Avgar Wrote: Alright, folks.

We hear you. You feel that there is a lack of staff or moderation on the servers. This is obviously an issue and as the staff team it is our job to address it. We hear you and we will update you on how we plan to solve this after we make some decisions on our side. (we'll address the suggestions to create a trial-mod rank and such).

We've made enough explanations as to why each one of us can be inactive or be misunderstood for being inactive (I fell pray to the desire to do this as well), but at the end of the day, we simply have to do something about it. Which we will. It will take some time, but your voice has been heard and won't be ignored.

I'm just going to state the obvious here, i'm not taking sides as i agree that too many staff member are inactive but i also notice that avgar has clearly stated that he / the staff team are going to try to resolve it.

Therefore, i see how it is easy to carry on arguments about the subject, but maybe if they didn't have to constantly argue on threads like this, they could get down to it.

I'm not taking sides, but tbh i think they have notices the issue, and now we just need to let them get to resolving it.

Regards,
          Dan

I agree, they have noticed it and are clearly trying to fix it. Tbh some people on this thread look for every little thing to put the staff team down.
People will always do this kind of stuff even when they try to be reasonable. It's honestly quite pathetic and sassy.
(09-04-2016, 11:49 AM)Tomo Wrote:
(09-04-2016, 11:39 AM)Midget Wrote: Stop giving administrator status to people who have played here for 1500 - 2000 hours.
Look at players that just joined, 100 - 200 hours. Get to know them and see if they could handle the job. Administration is NOT rocket science and a lot of people are willing and capable of doing it.

People with many hours generally get very bored of the server, if you offer the position to people who started recently they will be more energetic and motivated to play.

Get to know the low hour people! Go outside your bubble and "meet" people. There is 50 - 70 people on this server and 50% of them have potential!

This is a good point, but the reason people with more hours are looked at is because they often have a level of experience that newer players may not have. They know the server and the people very well and have been here a long time.

Another thing that more hours adds is a level of trust that new players cannot offer. If a player has been here for a long time, we are more likely to trust them with the powers a staff position includes. Promoting a fairly new player to us may feel as though we are going in blind.

Selecting candidates for staff is, of course, a case by case process. The things I have said above do not always apply. I am just explaining some flaws with your idea which are the reasons why we do not tend to look in that area of the playerbase.

Indeed I agree with you. Of course you wouldn't give admin to someone you don't trust. That is why you should get to know the person.
It doesn't matter if a player has an unlimited amount of experience if he doesn't log in to the server. There is nothing wrong with having high hour people in the staff team, however right now I also believe there should be room for more low hour people as the server needs active staff.

Promoting people to staff shouldn't be easy, you can't just take whomever and hope for the best. To avoid going in blind get to know the person and see if he really is eligible for the rank. 
Get the experienced staff members to help him out and explain if there is something. 

I have noticed over the years an increase in hour requirements for becoming staff. Before many staff members had 300 - 400 hours. And I am sure many people agree that it was better back then. 
This extra experience is not vital to becoming an admin and I encourage you and everyone else in the team to look for people with less hours.
[Image: h2.png]
Visit my profile here.
I believe anyone not pulling sufficient enough weight should be demoted and anyone pulling extra weight because of the slackers should be promoted further, if you're doing the work of 2 people you should be rewarded yet people that do pull extra weight get jack shit. The reason everyone goes inactive or joins the server and cant be fucked to actually administrate is because of the poor leadership & discipline from above. This was the case when I was staff I'd assume its about the same now.

I don't believe the correct solution is to add more staff; you need to get rid of the slackers then get their replacements in - else you'll just keep repeating the cycle and adding staff and you'll end up with a massive inactive staff team

//yearly post over
The following 10 users Like Suarez's post:
  • Agorith, Random, Bobby, Robbtja, Arkten, NJperry, Jonesy, Ivan Tempski, Danny Boy, Falc

Agree, back in the day 300 hours was sufficient. Now it's 1000 for a bloody teacher... nonsensical.
Regards,
aviator
The following 5 users Like aviator's post:
  • Danny Boy, Baskingner, Arkten, sebasti161, Otto_
(09-04-2016, 03:29 PM)aviator Wrote:

Agree, back in the day 300 hours was sufficient. Now it's 1000 for a bloody teacher... nonsensical.

To be fair the difference between then and now is fucking crazy.
(09-04-2016, 03:31 PM)SirMinus Wrote:

To be fair the difference between then and now is freaking crazy.

Is it? I fail to see how? I know a lot of people who are perfect for the teacher role but are only held back by the unneeded 1000 hour requirement.
(09-04-2016, 03:39 PM)Baskingner Wrote:
(09-04-2016, 03:31 PM)SirMinus Wrote:

To be fair the difference between then and now is freaking crazy.

Is it? I fail to see how? I know a lot of people who are perfect for the teacher role but are only held back by the unneeded 1000 hour requirement.

[Image: SbXTuuz.jpg]
The following 2 users Like Foxirius2205's post:
  • Jonas, sebasti161