Poll: Should developers receive some sort of payment?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
51.92%
27 51.92%
No
23.08%
12 23.08%
Yes ( but only ingame stuff )
25.00%
13 25.00%
Total 52 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Developers getting payed
(12-19-2019, 12:53 PM)Midget Wrote:
(12-19-2019, 12:00 PM)Dimitris Wrote: "focus on increasing the player base" For the player base to increase one of the main factors is updates? At this current state there is absolutely no form of motivation for the devs to keep on releasing projects.

There is little to no correlation between a long-term increased playerbase and updates. This is evident from the mining update. 

I would much rather prefer you use this thread (here I have also suggested a way to increase server population in post #19)

https://www.fearlessrp.net/showthread.php?tid=94822  if you have any objections to that claim.

No, I will not use that thread. This thread is dedicated to a single subject, keep on topic.
(12-19-2019, 01:19 AM)Midget Wrote:
(12-18-2019, 08:12 PM)Broccoli Wrote:
(12-18-2019, 03:24 PM)Midget Wrote:
(12-18-2019, 03:06 PM)Conn Wrote: -snip-

-snip-

-who cares-

Forgive me for my dramatic phrasing.

I still don't think any payment solution solves the problem. 
The problem I hope we have acknowledged is that developers lack motivation to push updates. 

I believe that this problem is not solved with a generic payment but rather to increase developer motivation in other ways
You say that there are no downsides; that does not mean that it is the best and sensible solution to the problem. I rather suggest focus on increasing the servers playerbase and if the problem of motivation still persists the suggestion could be re-considered. 

I'll be the person with the unpopular opinion but I'll still stand for what I believe. What happens is not up to me.

It's alright, I don't blame you.

Lack of motivation happens sometimes and I don't blame it for happening, there's usually not much you can do.
When I had lack of motivation, it was mainly due to the environment. Fearless became and unfun and unwelcoming place to develop for and with such a relaxed community and team, there is no punishment for being unmotivated. I don't think money is the sole solution for fixing the problem, but I do think it can lessen the effects and can possibly have no real repercussions depending on how a payment system is implemented.
[Image: unknown.png]
The following 1 user Likes Broccoli's post:
  • Haarek
(12-19-2019, 01:14 PM)Broccoli Wrote: It's alright, I don't blame you.

Lack of motivation happens sometimes and I don't blame it for happening, there's usually not much you can do.
When I had lack of motivation, it was mainly due to the environment. Fearless became and unfun and unwelcoming place to develop for and with such a relaxed community and team, there is no punishment for being unmotivated. I don't think money is the sole solution for fixing the problem, but I do think it can lessen the effects and can possibly have no real repercussions depending on how a payment system is implemented.

Thanks, 

Then I propose waiting with such an implementation until after the server population problem is confronted to see if it is still needed. Such a payment method I presume would need to wait either way; considering how there are many possibilities and opposing opinions of how such a system can and should be implemented.
[Image: h2.png]
Visit my profile here.
(12-19-2019, 01:59 PM)Midget Wrote:
(12-19-2019, 01:14 PM)Broccoli Wrote: It's alright, I don't blame you.

Thanks, 

Then I propose waiting with such an implementation until after the server population problem is confronted to see if it is still needed. Such a payment method I presume would need to wait either way; considering how there are many possibilities and opposing opinions of how such a system can and should be implemented.

The reason people are suggesting this now is because a good way to raise pop is regular updates and a good way to get regular updates is to help tackle developer motivation.
Pollux
Fearless Management
bork
(12-19-2019, 01:59 PM)Midget Wrote:
(12-19-2019, 01:14 PM)Broccoli Wrote: Sleepy

Thanks, 

Definitely, I know that I would be interested in freelance work for Fearless again if such a payment option was available. But yeah you're right, it's unprofitable to pay for such investments when they wont be used half the time, which is sad. I think updates should focus on more replay-ability options to keep community members invested. Such options could be borrowed from RPG like games to keep people coming back to invest into their roleplay character, but that's a discussion for another time Wink
[Image: unknown.png]
The following 1 user Likes Broccoli's post:
  • Haarek
(12-19-2019, 02:02 PM)Pollux Wrote: The reason people are suggesting this now is because a good way to raise pop is regular updates and a good way to get regular updates is to help tackle developer motivation.

I dispute this and claim that updates is not a sufficient way of bringing new players to the server. However I do believe they can maintain the current players interest. 

A new player is not presumed to have any knowledge of the server or the community before the first log-in.

The problem, in it's essence: How can the server become more available for a person browsing for any kind of role play server.
[Image: h2.png]
Visit my profile here.
(12-19-2019, 02:13 PM)Midget Wrote:
(12-19-2019, 02:02 PM)Pollux Wrote: The reason people are suggesting this now is because a good way to raise pop is regular updates and a good way to get regular updates is to help tackle developer motivation.

I dispute this and claim that updates is not a sufficient way of bringing new players to the server. However I do believe they can maintain the current players interest. 

A new player is not presumed to have any knowledge of the server or the community before the first log-in.

The problem, in it's essence: How can the server become more available for a person browsing for any kind of role play server.

This exactly. Everyone is to focused on retention instead of addition. The players in this community are unwelcoming to new players and the game mode itself is as well. Instead of trying to pump out new updates to retain players from leaving, why not focus on trying to get new players into joining and then trying to convince them to stay?
The following 1 user Likes Fultz's post:
  • Haarek
(11-25-2019, 11:45 PM)Ranger Wrote: Devs would not be employed by fearless, as it is not a business legally. They would be paid on a commission basis, for each update they would get paid a certain amount, based on how large the update is, the time frame and the amount of effort put into it. I doubt the amount would be large enough to be even taxable (at least in the UK).

But it could be if reported to the correct people, as fearless sell a package when you "donate".

It isnt a donation, you are paying for a service, a package making it a business.

So, if the correct people were told and the issue was brought up then the devs could be employed by FL.
perqe
Donator

[Image: PywvXUS.gif]
(12-19-2019, 07:47 PM)perqe Wrote:
(11-25-2019, 11:45 PM)Ranger Wrote: Devs would not be employed by fearless, as it is not a business legally. They would be paid on a commission basis, for each update they would get paid a certain amount, based on how large the update is, the time frame and the amount of effort put into it. I doubt the amount would be large enough to be even taxable (at least in the UK).

But it could be if reported to the correct people, as fearless sell a package when you "donate".

It isnt a donation, you are paying for a service, a package making it a business.

So, if the correct people were told and the issue was brought up then the devs could be employed by FL.

The devs would be considered freelancers/self-employed if anything
(12-19-2019, 02:56 PM)Fultz Wrote:
(12-19-2019, 02:13 PM)Midget Wrote:

This exactly. Everyone is to focused on retention instead of addition. The players in this community are unwelcoming to new players and the game mode itself is as well. Instead of trying to pump out new updates to retain players from leaving, why not focus on trying to get new players into joining and then trying to convince them to stay?

Current updates are focused on retention rather than just content.
Pollux
Fearless Management
bork