2nd Amendment
Totalitarianism..Fallacious..The fact that someone on FL knows these words and can actually use them properly makes me a happy happy man.

Anyway, the main gist I got from the counter-arguments here were abouts sports shooting and hunting. First off, point aside that if you require so many shots to take down an animal you're an awful hunter, surely there could be safer ways of sports shooting implemented?

I know you lot have various gun clubs and shooting ranges over the pond where weapons are leant out for use there, perhaps that should be the case with most weapons. While I can sort of occasionally see the use in licenced civilians owning handguns for self-defence, I really don't see why they need so many powerful weapons. Open guerilla warfare inside the US against a huge army? Most civilians would be far too scared, and thinking that waging guerilla warfare will lead to a short few month transitional period before a golden age is incredibly deluded. Have you looked at the rest of the world recently? But if you want to use such weapons for sports shooting, it could be done in an environment that both makes it cheaper to use them for shooting, but much harder to attain such a weapon to keep at home, where it really is not needed and is only a dangerous liability.
Sure Faustie, the civilians would be terrified. But the enemy soldier is about to barge into my home (I'm terrified by the way) with intent to kill me, I have a 12 gauge shotgun. You really think I'm not gonna sit in a room, aiming at the door as a last stand? If their intentions weren't to kill me then yes you're probably right, I'd do nothing.
(08-06-2012, 01:03 PM)Slick Rick Wrote: Sure Faustie, the civilians would be terrified. But the enemy soldier is about to barge into my home (I'm terrified by the way) with intent to kill me, I have a 12 gauge shotgun. You really think I'm not gonna sit in a room, aiming at the door as a last stand? If their intentions weren't to kill me then yes you're probably right, I'd do nothing.

What are the odds of USA turning totalitarian and murdering all it's citizens?

I don't know, but I know that they are WAY, WAY smaller than the odds of people getting shot by other people, because they have guns.
oh so just because the odds are smaller we shouldn't have guns at all. thats like saying the odds of me getting hit by a car are low so lets not wear a seat belt. ? and who says they have to go totalitarian for us to revolt. every year their trying to distort/change the constitution the reason we have guns are to protect the constitution. the reason japan didn't want to invade the usa was because the civilians had so many guns. its a deterrent. i forgot how many murders their were with LEGAL assault rifles after the ban in the 1920s-30s forgot the year. but i know it was under 10. pretty much this is a statistic but most of the gun violence comes from gangs and its mostly them killing other gangs and the guns they have are almost never legally ownd. so if you want to crack down on gun violence crack down on the gangs.
(08-06-2012, 01:41 PM)Dylan Wrote:
(08-06-2012, 01:03 PM)Slick Rick Wrote: Sure Faustie, the civilians would be terrified. But the enemy soldier is about to barge into my home (I'm terrified by the way) with intent to kill me, I have a 12 gauge shotgun. You really think I'm not gonna sit in a room, aiming at the door as a last stand? If their intentions weren't to kill me then yes you're probably right, I'd do nothing.

I don't know, but I know that they are WAY, WAY smaller than the odds of people getting shot by other people, because they have guns.

That wasn't the point.

Why didn't you direct what you just said at Faustie? He's the one who brought it up.
(08-06-2012, 02:47 PM)richardhammond Wrote: oh so just because the odds are smaller we shouldn't have guns at all. thats like saying the odds of me getting hit by a car are low so lets not wear a seat belt. ? and who says they have to go totalitarian for us to revolt. every year their trying to distort/change the constitution the reason we have guns are to protect the constitution. the reason japan didn't want to invade the usa was because the civilians had so many guns. its a deterrent. i forgot how many murders their were with LEGAL assault rifles after the ban in the 1920s-30s forgot the year. but i know it was under 10. pretty much this is a statistic but most of the gun violence comes from gangs and its mostly them killing other gangs and the guns they have are almost never legally ownd. so if you want to crack down on gun violence crack down on the gangs.

Are you..
Japan didn't want to invade America? A.. O.. Bu..

Read what you write before posting it. I have had enough of pointing out the obvious, glaring flaws in every single one of your arguments.

(08-06-2012, 03:49 PM)Slick Rick Wrote:

That wasn't the point.

Why didn't you direct what you just said at Faustie? He's the one who brought it up.

Because my point is that the "to protect us from the government" excuse for having guns is abseloutely retarded, which Faustie (from what I could tell) somewhat agree with.
(08-06-2012, 03:51 PM)Dylan Wrote:
(08-06-2012, 02:47 PM)richardhammond Wrote: oh so just because the odds are smaller we shouldn't have guns at all. thats like saying the odds of me getting hit by a car are low so lets not wear a seat belt. ? and who says they have to go totalitarian for us to revolt. every year their trying to distort/change the constitution the reason we have guns are to protect the constitution. the reason japan didn't want to invade the usa was because the civilians had so many guns. its a deterrent. i forgot how many murders their were with LEGAL assault rifles after the ban in the 1920s-30s forgot the year. but i know it was under 10. pretty much this is a statistic but most of the gun violence comes from gangs and its mostly them killing other gangs and the guns they have are almost never legally ownd. so if you want to crack down on gun violence crack down on the gangs.

Are you..

Read what you write before posting it. I have had enough of pointing out the obvious, glaring flaws in every single one of your arguments.

You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass. - Isoroku Yamamoto, Fleet Admiral and Commander-in-Chief of the Imperial Japanese Navy (IJN) during World War II

(08-06-2012, 03:51 PM)Dylan Wrote:

Are you..

(08-06-2012, 03:49 PM)Slick Rick Wrote:

That wasn't the point.

Because my point is that the "to protect us from the government" excuse for having guns is abseloutely retarded, which Faustie (from what I could tell) somewhat agree with.

Well... That was the whole reason for the 2nd amendment. To protect us from tyranny.
(08-06-2012, 03:53 PM)Slick Rick Wrote: You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass. - Isoroku Yamamoto, Fleet Admiral and Commander-in-Chief of the Imperial Japanese Navy (IJN) during World War II

Yeah, so Pearl Harbor, the uneasy alliance with the Axis, that was just for fun. As soon as Japan had sorted it's shit out, it would stop bothering the US. Besides the gun-laws did jack-shit to prevent the Japanese from entering American soil. If they had the chance to invade America, they would.

(08-06-2012, 03:53 PM)Slick Rick Wrote: Well... That was the whole reason for the 2nd amendment. To protect us from tyranny.

Yes, and I think that doesn't really apply that well to today, since there are a TON of measures taken so that Obama or whomever can't go overboard and take full-control. That's kinda what I've been saying for some time now.
(08-06-2012, 03:55 PM)Dylan Wrote:
(08-06-2012, 03:53 PM)Slick Rick Wrote: You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass. - Isoroku Yamamoto, Fleet Admiral and Commander-in-Chief of the Imperial Japanese Navy (IJN) during World War II

Yeah, so Pearl Harbor, the uneasy alliance with the Axis, that was just for fun. As soon as Japan had sorted it's shit out, it would stop bothering the US. Besides the gun-laws did jack-shit to prevent the Japanese from entering American soil.

Do you know what "mainland" means?
(08-06-2012, 03:56 PM)Slick Rick Wrote:
(08-06-2012, 03:55 PM)Dylan Wrote:

Yeah, so Pearl Harbor, the uneasy alliance with the Axis, that was just for fun. As soon as Japan had sorted it's shit out, it would stop bothering the US. Besides the gun-laws did jack-shit to prevent the Japanese from entering American soil.

Do you know what "mainland" means?

Are you denying, that if Japan had total control of the Pacific, it would not dare to enter the smallest part of mainland America?
Are you saying that the Japanese's all-powerful plan to ally with the biggest forces of the world, was to capture some islands in the Pacific Ocean, start a war with one of the super-powers of the time, and just be "aye, it's cool" once they got the Pacific?

Other than that, my point still stands. The gun-laws did absolutely nothing.