2nd Amendment
So.. I think it's about time we have a serious matter in this section. As most of you have heard, there was a shooting episode in Colorado. If not, look in the news section for Alexias thread about it.

This is making most of the world wonder, does the united states need their 2nd amendment? With his right to buy firearms, James Holmes bought 4 weapons and 6000 bullets within very short time. Explosives has also been bought and are now placed in his apartment, rigged to blow.

I can't believe that it's allowed to carry guns in some states. It only makes problems and with the little control, it is absurd to think that no one is getting harmed because of the laws.

There fore I'm against the 2nd amendment. I know that I'm not american and that this is a very sensitive topic about rights and traditions, but for me I can only see problems who are not getting solved by other means than taking away the 2nd amendment.

Tell me what you think, but please back up your answers.
The following 2 users Like StillAlive's post:
  • Verzyn, Nyxeify
Yeah and when our system becomes corrupt, we cannot stand against it.

Again like many have said, guns do not kill people, people kill people.

We will NEVER give our second amendment away, if they try, we will fight back.
The following 1 user Likes Nevy's post:
  • Rayne
(07-22-2012, 05:21 PM)Nevinator Wrote: Yeah and when our system becomes corrupt, we cannot stand against it.

That
That is your reasoning for why guns should be allowed?
That?
Really?
I..
What?
Seriously?
You do know that in most, if not every democratic countries, there are measures taken to make sure that that will never happen. That is why we have representatives, senators, and elections.

I hope you are joking.
You might be against people owning guns in America, and many have said:
"How many people have to die before they outlaw guns?"

I ask you this, how many people have to die before they outlaw knives, and large wooden sticks, and cars, and hammer or other dangerous tools or equiptment. The list could go on, but like nevinator said, people kill people just because a gun is the most favorable weapon doesn't mean they should outlaw them.
The following 1 user Likes ChimpB's post:
  • Nevy
Why is "People will always kill people, the prefered weapon doesn't matter" an argument?

Yes, of course people will always kill. That's how we've survived through history. My point is just that firearms makes it that much easier. How can you kill 80 people with a knife on an island? How can you do it with a car or a hammer? Everything is easier with a gun compared to melee or other dangerous tools.

Now I am not trying to start a flame war or anything, just to make sure you know it. I'm just a curious guy from Europe who would like to know, why you love those damn guns so much? We are talking about a whole different civilisation than the european one, which is exactly why it makes me wonder.
The following 2 users Like StillAlive's post:
  • Salinsky, Nyxeify
(07-22-2012, 06:01 PM)ChimpB Wrote: just because a gun is the most favorable weapon doesn't mean they should outlaw them.

Yes
Yes they should.
You cannot stop killing, criminal activity or anything, but you can damn well try to lessen it, and banning guns is surely a way. Look at the statistics of most European countries. They have less murders than America per citizen. Guns are dangerous, and yes, people kill people but how does that make it better? Is that an excuse for allowing every person to own an atomic bomb? Or C4? "He will only blow it if someone enters his property", yeah, get out. Owning a gun is more likely to make you do something drastic if you consider it. Believe it or not, but stabbing a person is a lot harder than shooting, both mentally and physically, not many people can bring themselves to kill someone while they are screaming, and the blood comes on their hands.
The following 1 user Likes Dylan's post:
  • Nyxeify
I in no place said people will always kill people.
Though it is true.

You may think someone would never kill 80 people with a knife or hammer but there are serial killers that could kill that amount of people in the time of a few years and never even get caught.

And the reason we like "those damn guns" so much is because that's what our country was founded on, with guns we won our freedom.

And even if guns were outlawed, guess what, the good people wouldnt be getting guns it would be the bad people. Though it would be harder for them to get guns, they would find a way. The way it is now, if someone tried breaking into a persons house the owner could defend himself. And the robber is probably going to have a gun as well.
(07-22-2012, 06:48 PM)ChimpB Wrote: The way it is now, if someone tried breaking into a persons house the owner could defend himself. And the robber is probably going to have a gun as well.

There we got it. That means one of them would die. The other way around they could've lived both of them.
Yes, the owner would lose his stuff and so one, but they would have their lives. That's always better than either of them dying.

Blood is not a way to solve stuff.

The north was founded upon raping and terrorizing. Does that mean we should gather axes and swords to continue our streak?
No, and god bless that. Your logic is like saying no people has good in them and there fore we should all own a gun so we can protect us against the "big evil".
The following 5 users Like StillAlive's post:
  • User 5190, Adman, Verzyn, BambusBo, Nyxeify
No in most cases the owner would just be shot if he was home. At least in pretty much all stories I've heard of someone getting robbed.
At least if the homeowner had a gun the right person would have a chance to live.

And Dylan, this isn't Europe. And we will not give up our 2nd amendment right.
(07-22-2012, 06:56 PM)ChimpB Wrote: No in most cases the owner would just be shot if he was home. At least in pretty much all stories I've heard of someone getting robbed.
At least if the homeowner had a gun the right person would have a chance to live.

And Dylan, this isn't Europe. And we will not give up our 2nd amendment right.

Are you for real?
Really?
Do you pay any attention to crime-statistics, the times and how people act? You don't think that a burglar knows the difference between a jail-sentence of years and a lifetime (if not death penalty)? In most cases of burglary the home-owner is killed?
What?
Are you kidding me?
That is just a blatant lie, and it is obvious you pay no attention to facts when you state something. And the homeowner is far more likely to get himself killed if he starts pulling a gun on robbers, than he is saving his property. That and the burglar would have a much harder time getting a gun if they were outlawed.
The following 1 user Likes Dylan's post:
  • Nyxeify