Whats your mindset?
Star 
Hello Hello

I am just 17 and I constantly think about… 

Today we live in a completely unsecure life. As you can see just within 1 day.. the world looked shocked when russia attacked ukraine. The people looked shocked when suddenly COVID hit us.. changed our whole life within days. All I wanna say is that anything could happen to You or to anyone or to all of us. Could be a car accident, terrorist attack, natural disaster, etc…

So what am I on about?

My grandma always says I shouldn’t spend so much money on just enjoying life. I should put most of it on side. I do put money aside but I am quite sad to see that people don’t enjoy their life like they could. They are focused on a typical life: „study - work - take credit for a house - and work all your life just to pay back all that money to the bank“. 
Maybe I am just different when it comes to stuff like that but I am personally not a fan of this mindset in this world anymore. 
I am rather that kind of person; „work - save a bit - have fun - spend your money on whatever you feel like will make you happy! - travel“ 

So a simple question.. or maybe it’s a hard one.. (for me it isn’t that easy)

How would you like to keep your life going? What are your future plans?
[Image: WbmV7IO.mp4]
I believe your grandma still thinks with the "old" mindset, where back in days it was expected to take on several credits, get/make a house, raise 3-4 children, work until you're 60 and then die in retirement house while playing bingo. It's not really a bad or obsolete mindset, but many young people get these ideas pushed into their heads by their parents and grandparents, and they are borderline forced to tunnel vision onto them. That just leads to them being unhappy in life. Now I'm not saying your grandma is giving you bad suggestions, she's probably just expecting you to do the same as people of her age did (i.e. get a good job, save up for house and family, etc...). You should keep in mind that you're in charge of your own life, and all the things you'll do in future. Stick to what you like doing and things you're good at.

How many times I just feel like dropping out of my physics master's and moving to mountains to become amateur beekeeper...
~ Equinox ~
I just want a house. A car. And a job I like.

I believe I will always have enough money, because I will always find a way.
[Image: h2.png]
Visit my profile here.
The following 1 user Likes Haarek's post:
  • RoCKy
It is all about independence. The more independent you are from others the less you have to care about them, which in turn makes you immune to the bs they try to shove onto you.

I do agree with you in the case that people could enjoy more of their life, though i doubt that the magical solution (or necessary condition for that matter) is to spend money. I often feel as though that is what people like to believe: That there is an easy fix for whatever they are unhappy about (do sports or spend money or visiting new places), however ultimately all these do not solve the root problem of their unhappiness. They would rather spend their life chasing something that in the end does not fulfill them in the way they though of in the first place leading to more frustration for "having wasted so much time".

What I want to get at are mainly two things: First, value comes from your own determination. You decide whether something is valuable to you or not and (past the bare necessities e.g. clean drinking water) you are very free to assign the values you give to things. Valueing the simple things in life, while sounding cheesy, can help you in reducing unhappiness due to unrealistic goals.
Secondly, there is no easy solution. You have to put in effort yourself. Just having it being given to you makes you way too comfortable with that situation and you find yourself expecting happiness being given to you because "that is how it has always been". It just makes you dependent and act like an angry child when you dont get the things you think you 'deserve'. Let me tell you: You deserve nothing other than the direct consequences of your actions. Everything else is a fluke.

As for the 'we are all doomed' part: Stoicism can help a lot here. Just caring about the things you can actually influence will help you in setting you priorities and accepting whatever fate has to offer. My personal tip: I think of my time here on earth as being borrowed ever since I turned 18. As a free person I have been given this life and I ultimately have to return it at an unknown date as it is just been borrowed. Thinking of it that way, even though I very much have goals I would like to achieve, it is OK if I were to die today. After all, it is inevitable.

Could write more on freedom and independence, but I am short on time rn. So you might see a follow up.
The following 1 user Likes Arkten's post:
  • RoCKy
I tend to see things from an old and new point of view. Honestly, if you have to spend money to enjoy yourself then I think you're doing something wrong. There are many things in life you can enjoy without spending money, or just spending a small amount. Surrounding yourself with fun people you get along with can sometimes be the best and cheapest source of enjoyment.

Obviously money can majorly influence some things and how much you can enjoy them, and it is okay to spend money on things you enjoy. I work and study, however I don't need to work. My student loan would cover everything I wanted to do and more. But that extra money allows me to enjoy my time at Uni while having plenty for rent and to save.

A big piece of advice I'd give to anyone in education is use as much of your free time as you can. As you progress through education and into the working world it's likely your free-time will become constricted (Seeing as most people tend to work a 9 to 5) so make the most of what you have now. Don't live to regret it.
Regards,
Joe Joe
Fearless Teacher Admin Clan Officer Admin Event Manager Clan Officer Veteran Admin Event Manager Veteran Management Veteran

[Image: OMVm0Um.png]
Have I helped you out? Rep me >Here<
The following 1 user Likes Joe Joe's post:
  • RoCKy
My grindset is losing money on the stock market and crypto
The following 1 user Likes Ranger's post:
  • User 21796
Personally I’m a big believer in keeping as many options open as possible. Having the freedom to do what you want, when you want.

My advice to anyone is go get some life experience. Study is all well and good, but it doesn’t necessarily teach you how to go about general day to day life, how to be a team player at work, or how to deal with social problems if you find yourself in one. It also incurs a massive debt in some cases, which can effect you later on.

Find your feet in a career in which you don’t need to study, then all of the freedom you want will follow. Study can always be done later in life if you wish.
[Image: H9hqjyZ.png]
The following 1 user Likes Nacreas's post:
  • RoCKy
Do what makes you happy.
If you're not happy, make the changes that will, no matter how drastic they may be.
Family and friends are almost everything. Look to them for opinions and guidance.
Stress is good but, don't stress yourself to the point of breakdown.
Don't burn bridges, no matter how much you dislike something or someone.
Have respect for yourself and others and you'll always come out on top.
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
Block that toxic ex-girlfriend/boyfriend.
Kind Regards,

[Image: nw3ghiD.gif]
The following 3 users Like Awestruck's post:
  • Panda, Wolven, RoCKy
So your 17 right. I'm 28. I've been there, went through everything your thinking about let me talk you through my journey.

At age 16 I found myself homeless.
At age 17 I got my own flat in a really shit neighborhood.
At age 18 I was in full time employment earning less than £900 per month and my rent was like £400 per month.
I didn't start university until my 20s and even at that I dropped out as it wasn't right for me.

Fast forward to today, at 28 years old, I own my 3 bed 2 bathroom home in a much nicer estate. I have a job that pays £53K per year, I've got 2 kids under 5 and have a fairly stable life. With a combined household income of about £70K.

Now this isn't a low key look at me post, there is a reason for saying all of this.

I went from a major down in my life, with no savings, no higher education, no prospects and decided I needed to change that but my way, not just the conventional get a 9-5 and settle for the best offer.

I constantly challenged myself to get up, get things done, spent a lot of time on my image, reflecting on where I want to be and the steps I have to take to get there. Right now, I have my career plan roughly set out until I'm 35 with what I want to do and an outline of how I plan to do that.

Organisation is key, do what you want to do, fuck the social norm. Whilst I agree it's sensible to save, I think it's more it's sensible to save in terms of your outgoings and ensure cover should something happen.

IE I have 5K in my savings at all times as that is 3 months of my mortgage payments and key dependencies should anything happen.

Have fun, be sensible, create your own path and spend a lot of time defining what is right. Set yourself goals, creat your path and stick to it. There will be setbacks along the way but your young, setbacks and learning perseverance is part of the journey.
[Image: giphy.gif]
The following 4 users Like Marty's post:
  • Self, Toe Shmicki, Wolven, RoCKy
NFTs am I right Awestruck
[Image: U1UedhK.png]
The following 2 users Like -DanTheMan-'s post:
  • Blaz, Link