Change server section
Title of Suggestion: Change server section

Description
Change the server section back to CityRP.

Why?
It was a temporary measure to gain players, we have a full server most nights and not because of the section being changed. If it was in its own section, there would be far fewer people expecting this server to be another DarkRP server when we all know this is a custom gamemode that should be treated differently to DarkRP. Why would you like to scroll through all the crappy DarkRP servers to reach this one if you had never joined before? We all know we wouldn't have found this server and stayed if it was in the DarkRP section because this server offers something different and should distance itself from DarkRP whether that is the updates themselves, the community or just the section it is listed in which I am suggesting today. Keep FL custom, not cookie-cutter DarkRP crap.
I think you'll find that most of the players you interact, play with and talk to on a daily basis on FL the past month has come from the DarkRP section.

I wouldn't be so quick to judge the plethora of players - it is an entirely different play-style and assuming people will carry over that behavior in the first place is... just that - an assumption. Many new players we have gotten, which I have witnessed myself has been very positive to the atmosphere and more serious nature of the server. If anything, being in the darkRP section is one of our biggest advantages.

Every player who joins - regardless of origin is still a valuable member of the community. It is obvious being in the DarkRP section helps out FL's playercount and I would be very vary of changing the section. In the end, it doesn't matter what section the server is in, it matters what the gamemode and community has to offer and how visible you are in server browser. With a full 75 player server we are close to the top of the server listings. Much better than the chaotic nature of the gamemode browser.
[Image: h2.png]
Visit my profile here.
The following 1 user Likes Haarek's post:
  • Kappatalist
(05-04-2020, 06:23 PM)Midget Wrote: I think you'll find that most of the players you interact, play with and talk to on a daily basis on FL the past month has come from the DarkRP section.

I wouldn't be so quick to judge the plethora of players - it is an entirely different play-style and assuming people will carry over that behavior in the first place is... just that - an assumption. Many new players we have gotten, which I have witnessed myself has been very positive to the atmosphere and more serious nature of the server. If anything, being in the darkRP section is one of our biggest advantages.

Every player who joins - regardless of origin is still a valuable member of the community. It is obvious being in the DarkRP section helps out FL's playercount and I would be very vary of changing the section. In the end, it doesn't matter what section the server is in, it matters what the gamemode and community has to offer and how visible you are in server browser. With a full 75 player server we are close to the top of the server listings. Much better than the chaotic nature of the gamemode browser.

I want to start off by saying that I have nothing against DarkRP players but this is not DarkRP, this is an original game mode that is not DarkRP. Of course, people in the past month have come from the DarkRP section because that is where the server is. If we moved over to a CityRP section then everyone will say they found the section. The issue is that if there have been no problems in the past about being in its own section, then why not go back?

If people are sick of the DarkRP gamemode because they want something new, why do you think they will try each server in DarkRP until they reach ours? Maybe they want a City related roleplay experience and it would be easy for them on the front page of the gamemodes to find this server.

Sure, everybody is valued just like everybody was valued when the section was different. The DarkRP section is far more chaotic than the gamemode browser, with many servers that can't offer what we offer but it is hard to advertise the uniqueness of the server if it is in a plain gamemode section which is swamped with 100s of players above this server listing.

I want to further reiterate that I didn't mean that players from DarkRP players are bad just that the servers themselves and the gamemode is bad and that we are much better in terms of what we can offer. After all, it is the most popular gamemode and I want people to be able to find us when they know that DarkRP is not for them.
-support
In my opinion it seems the change has done a lot more to help FL gain new players
-Support, sorry Robert.
[Image: J1zObHm.gif]
(05-04-2020, 06:23 PM)Midget Wrote: With a full 75 player server we are close to the top of the server listings. Much better than the chaotic nature of the gamemode browser.

The server listing within a gamemode is much more chaotic than the gamemode one. With the gamemode listing each gamemode is very clearly listed, boxes are a lot bigger and the search feature works very well. The server listing it's hard to find FL even if you're trying to look for it, at times it refuses to show up at all due to how the server browser works.

I've seen several people struggle to find FL due to the category switch come into the FL discord to ask where the servers are. It's hard to judge how effective the move is and if it even helped FL gain any players at all but I think it's clear it's not helping FL be more visible, if anything it creates confusion as we're not DarkRP at all. I was against the category switch when it happened and still am.

+support
Pollux
Fearless Management
bork
(05-04-2020, 05:24 PM)Bobby Wrote:  The issue is that if there have been no problems in the past about being in its own section, then why not go back? 

(05-04-2020, 05:24 PM)Bobby Wrote:  If people are sick of the DarkRP gamemode because they want something new, why do you think they will try each server in DarkRP until they reach ours? Maybe they want a City related roleplay experience and it would be easy for them on the front page of the gamemodes to find this server.

Because the gamemode section is not a good option to be visible in the server browser. It does not sort out of player population and FL gets completely lost and impossible to find, especially when you don't know what you are looking for in the first place. 

I argued this exact point when wanting the darkRP section and I made this video to illustrate my point. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad4bPWfB5L0&feature=youtu.be

Not only does CityRP get lost, but the list constantly refreshes and moves around. There is no system and is chaotic. I am not arguing this point because of personal preference; rather by a complete neutral and objective observation. 

(05-04-2020, 05:24 PM)Bobby Wrote:  The DarkRP section is far more chaotic than the gamemode browser, with many servers that can't offer what we offer but it is hard to advertise the uniqueness of the server if it is in a plain gamemode section which is swamped with 100s of players above this server listing.

With my previous statement above I simply beg to differ. In the DarkRP section we are potentially at the top of the list with a full server and are a 100 times more visible than if CityRP would be put back in the gamemode section, where it is quite simply... (for lack of a better term) a clusterfuck. 

(05-04-2020, 05:24 PM)Bobby Wrote: "...and I want people to be able to find us..."

I am glad we have the same objective, there is nothing I want more. However, I have to respectfully disagree with how you want to achieve it.
[Image: h2.png]
Visit my profile here.
The server previously had literally 1000s of people find it including ourselves by finding CityRP? Why would you not be able to find a simple section like everyone else has done?

That video shows the sections refreshing, you need to wait a bit for it to become stable. The same happens in the DarkRP section when you are refreshing, except this time there are far more servers to go through as well as this not being DarkRP.

Also, it increases replayability as you can go to History > CityRP rather than go through all your servers in DarkRP that you have ever joined. If you played and enjoyed it for the first time, you will remember it has a specific section.

It may seem like the server became more popular when the section was changed but in reality, this was a temporary issue and the main thing that has increased player count is the old players who joined through the original section, coming back.
The following 1 user Likes Bobby's post:
  • Pollux
+Support

Old times were goooood times Wink
[Image: UE8GhmX.png]
I don't really get how you can argue that finding "CityRP FL" on this:

Spoiler: Gamemode Browser
[Image: raw]

is harder than finding "ENG | Fearlessrp.net | Custom Semi-Serious CityRP" on this:

Spoiler: DarkRP Section
[Image: raw]

Us switching to DarkRP did not result in any increase in new players at all, I think a lot of people are forgetting that we switched to DarkRP back in December and the server was still almost dead until last month where it started gaining players again due to COVID-19. Both sections have a search bar, however why would someone search for "CityRP" in the DarkRP section rather than the gamemode section? I don't get the logic of people searching for a semi-serious CityRP server in DarkRP, a section primarily made for light RP servers using the DarkRP gamemode.
Pollux
Fearless Management
bork