Content size
(01-26-2020, 05:39 AM)Midget Wrote:
(01-26-2020, 03:37 AM)Pollux Wrote:
(01-25-2020, 09:08 PM)Midget Wrote:
(01-25-2020, 12:32 AM)Rozzok Wrote: Back in 2012 it took about 2 hours to download the content required to join the server, I haven't played fearless seriously since maybe 2014-15? maybe I will try joining later and seeing how long it takes nowadays for science

Could you also take screenshots of all the content that is missing upon the first join. I.e. when new players first join v5p half the map is supposedly errors.

It's because V5P requires CSS, HL2 EP1 and HL2 EP2. There's nothing missing from content on our end, it's just content from those games. While quite a few people own CSS, not many have the HL2 Episodes (they are free till HL Alex comes out, so you can install them for the next few months!)

The point being that it is still a problem that needs to be addressed.

We can't do much about game content as it gets taken down from the workshop. People need to either buy the games or download the content for them from elsewhere themselves.
Pollux
Fearless Management
bork
(01-26-2020, 12:29 PM)Pollux Wrote:
(01-25-2020, 09:08 PM)Midget Wrote:
(01-25-2020, 12:32 AM)Rozzok Wrote: Back in 2012 it took about 2 hours to download the content required to join the server, I haven't played fearless seriously since maybe 2014-15? maybe I will try joining later and seeing how long it takes nowadays for science

Could you also take screenshots of all the content that is missing upon the first join. I.e. when new players first join v5p half the map is supposedly errors.

It's because V5P requires CSS, HL2 EP1 and HL2 EP2. There's nothing missing from content on our end, it's just content from those games. While quite a few people own CSS, not many have the HL2 Episodes (they are free till HL Alex comes out, so you can install them for the next few months!)

We can't do much about game content as it gets taken down from the workshop. People need to either buy the games or download the content for them from elsewhere themselves.

Indeed, but that aspect must be acknowledged to prevent it becoming a problem in the first place, for example the mining rocks are from CS:S, that means everyone that has not installed CSS sees errors. That is a huge percentage of people and the models should be replaced.
[Image: h2.png]
Visit my profile here.
I agree with Midget here. The gamemode should contain either models that come with GMod or the FL content pack. As GMod moved away from CS:S to become a standalone game they have included models for the CS:S weapons to mitigate for people that do not own CS:S. FL should also only use models that the user can download and not rely on extra content from other games.

I know that this is becomes complicating as some maps rely on the HL2 episodes or CS:S for their textures. But I believe that FL should not use these maps if the user will only see errors because "he didnt buy game xyz".
The following 1 user Likes Arkten's post:
  • Haarek
(01-26-2020, 02:34 PM)Midget Wrote:
(01-25-2020, 09:08 PM)Midget Wrote: Could you also take screenshots of all the content that is missing upon the first join. I.e. when new players first join v5p half the map is supposedly errors.

Indeed, but that aspect must be acknowledged to prevent it becoming a problem in the first place, for example the mining rocks are from CS:S, that means everyone that has not installed CSS sees errors. That is a huge percentage of people and the models should be replaced.

For a long while, having CS:S & Episodic content has sort of been an unofficial requirement for players. If a new player purchases Gmod, then sooner or later they will run into maps and servers that require the CS:S/Episodic content, and there isn't much that can be done about it. CS:S/Episodic content has become necessary for most things in the game, and they are especially necessary in the City RP gamemodes. 

Disabling/replacing the content would be quite impossible, as they play a huge role as either map models or spawnable props. I can't really blame the mappers for it, as the base HL2 textures and models are simply horrendous looking and most of the time they won't fit at all in a modern city setting. Disabling CS:S props would put a massive limit on what you can and cannot build in the game, and finding a good city map that doesn't use that content is quite hard as well.
[Image: 8TTYBHM.png]
(01-26-2020, 04:02 PM)TheSiphon Wrote:
(01-26-2020, 03:37 AM)Pollux Wrote: It's because V5P requires CSS, HL2 EP1 and HL2 EP2. There's nothing missing from content on our end, it's just content from those games. While quite a few people own CSS, not many have the HL2 Episodes (they are free till HL Alex comes out, so you can install them for the next few months!)

For a long while, having CS:S & Episodic content has sort of been an unofficial requirement for players. If a new player purchases Gmod, then sooner or later they will run into maps and servers that require the CS:S/Episodic content, and there isn't much that can be done about it. CS:S/Episodic content has become necessary for most things in the game, and they are especially necessary in the City RP gamemodes. 

Disabling/replacing the content would be quite impossible, as they play a huge role as either map models or spawnable props. I can't really blame the mappers for it, as the base HL2 textures and models are simply horrendous looking and most of the time they won't fit at all in a modern city setting. Disabling CS:S props would put a massive limit on what you can and cannot build in the game, and finding a good city map that doesn't use that content is quite hard as well.

Why is it not possible to at least provide a source to the content whenever players join the server similar to how new players get a hello/help message when they join? So it provides a link to obtain the content so they don't just leave?
(01-26-2020, 03:37 AM)Pollux Wrote: It's because V5P requires CSS, HL2 EP1 and HL2 EP2. There's nothing missing from content on our end, it's just content from those games. While quite a few people own CSS, not many have the HL2 Episodes (they are free till HL Alex comes out, so you can install them for the next few months!)

It has been a sort of unofficial requirement for forever, however things change and so do the playerbase and installed libraries. If we want to maximize the amount of players who plays (and stays) on FL there is no excuse to have errors so apparent on the roadside.

The example I gave is currently the primary and fixable problem that needs to be addressed as there are 3 - 4 locations that have 30 errors each for a big percentage of people, including me. (A die hard CS:S fan with over a 1000 hours). It is not about disabling CSS props, it is about fixing noticeable flaws.
For example, a person that does not have CS:S installed can not even see cash money upon joining; one of the most fundamental aspects of the gamemode.

Do you really expect them to go buy CSS or download the content on their own initiative without any reference for where they can get their hands on said content on a server they have no knowledge of and nothing invested in?

I can tell you, that they will go to another server.
[Image: h2.png]
Visit my profile here.
(01-26-2020, 04:53 PM)Midget Wrote:
(01-26-2020, 05:39 AM)Midget Wrote: The point being that it is still a problem that needs to be addressed.

It has been a sort of unofficial requirement for forever, however things change and so do the playerbase and installed libraries. If we want to maximize the amount of players who plays (and stays) on FL there is no excuse to have errors so apparent on the roadside.

The example I gave is currently the primary and fixable problem that needs to be addressed as there are 3 - 4 locations that have 30 errors each for a big percentage of people, including me. (A die hard CS:S fan with over a 1000 hours). It is not about disabling CSS props, it is about fixing noticeable flaws.
For example, a person that does not have CS:S installed can not even see cash money upon joining; one of the most fundamental aspects of the gamemode.

Do you really expect them to go buy CSS or download the content on their own initiative without any reference for where they can get their hands on said content on a server they have no knowledge of and nothing invested in?

I can tell you, that they will go to another server.

CS:S is still required for almost all servers, while I think third person models are included I don't think first person ones are, making CS:S a requirement for pretty much any server with guns. Almost all maps also require CS:S or HL2 episodes so we can't really do much to avoid it for FL or any other server. If someone really doesn't want to get the content they won't be able to enjoy 90% of gmod servers.
Pollux
Fearless Management
bork
(01-26-2020, 04:51 PM)Krusty Wrote:
(01-26-2020, 05:39 AM)Midget Wrote: The point being that it is still a problem that needs to be addressed.

Why is it not possible to at least provide a source to the content whenever players join the server similar to how new players get a hello/help message when they join? So it provides a link to obtain the content so they don't just leave?

It would be a very useful feature or at least to have it pinned on Discord/forums help & support section, though technically speaking it does count as piracy, even though you won't get punished for it. Valve doesn't support it and I believe those links are not allowed on Steam either. So it's kind of a gray area, which is why when someone posts a link it might stay or sometimes it might get removed.
[Image: 8TTYBHM.png]
(01-26-2020, 10:24 PM)TheSiphon Wrote:
(01-26-2020, 04:51 PM)Krusty Wrote:
(01-26-2020, 12:29 PM)Pollux Wrote: We can't do much about game content as it gets taken down from the workshop. People need to either buy the games or download the content for them from elsewhere themselves.

It would be a very useful feature or at least to have it pinned on Discord/forums help & support section, though technically speaking it does count as piracy, even though you won't get punished for it. Valve doesn't support it and I believe those links are not allowed on Steam either. So it's kind of a gray area, which is why when someone posts a link it might stay or sometimes it might get removed.

Siphon is correct. It is an act of piracy for FL to advertise bootleg copies of paid content. Users are able to find the content online (undoubtedly not endorsed by FL to do so), or buy it.
Kind Regards,

[Image: nw3ghiD.gif]
Why not just make everything custom, so it is 100% fearless owned then place a workshop link for said content, are there any technical limitations for maps or something when it comes to importing .obj or .fbx into hammer? i'm a maya/zbrushlet so i'm not sure
[Image: 9lQ10sX.png]
updated 1/24/2020