Content size
(01-02-2020, 01:00 AM)Fultz Wrote: Not the greatest in the development department. But wouldn't combining similar jobs be a route that you could take to minimize content? Like remove fire fighter and paramedic and combine them to first responders? Or remove all merchant jobs and have an underground dealer and a merchant? I don't know the maximum effect this would have but it would do at least something right? I feel like models are typically the biggest pain in the ass for loading in. Maybe remove the least used vehicles and weapons as well?

I will be carefull not to speak on the dev's account here, but usually what takes the most content is the materials and models. What you are suggesting would not do much as the names and job roles are simply written code only a few KB at most. 

However, the things that takes immense amount of content and should be addressed is VCmod and new vehicles. The newer vehicles have a very high model quality that also reduce the FPS. That is why performance was usually better a long time ago since the cars did not have such a high polygon count. (And the fact that FL was running v2d, which is by far the best map for performance)
[Image: h2.png]
Visit my profile here.
The following 1 user Likes Haarek's post:
  • Arkten
(01-02-2020, 01:00 AM)Fultz Wrote: Not the greatest in the development department. But wouldn't combining similar jobs be a route that you could take to minimize content? Like remove fire fighter and paramedic and combine them to first responders? Or remove all merchant jobs and have an underground dealer and a merchant? I don't know the maximum effect this would have but it would do at least something right? I feel like models are typically the biggest pain in the ass for loading in. Maybe remove the least used vehicles and weapons as well?

+sup for removing all unused/unecessary vehicles and weapons. Models are painstakingly huge. The code files are surprisingly small.
(01-02-2020, 01:29 AM)Midget Wrote:

I will be carefull not to speak on the dev's account here, but usually what takes the most content is the materials and models. What you are suggesting would not do much as the names and job roles are simply written code only a few KB at most. 

However, the things that takes immense amount of content and should be addressed is VCmod and new vehicles. The newer vehicles have a very high model quality that also reduce the FPS. That is why performance was usually better a long time ago since the cars did not have such a high polygon count. (And the fact that FL was running v2d, which is by far the best map for performance)

Eliminating the jobs would then allow us to remove the models though wouldn't it? With that as well then how many different suits do we have? That would be another area to eliminate.
Most job models are CSS models though Sad
(01-02-2020, 02:02 AM)Fultz Wrote:

Eliminating the jobs would then allow us to remove the models though wouldn't it? With that as well then how many different suits do we have? That would be another area to eliminate.

Cars and Props take up more than anything else by a long shot, playermodels we have are generally very low in file size due to magical compression. Props take up the most, for example the witcher props are 300mb just on their own, the GTA prop packs together are over a gig (I think). This is all compressed filesize too.
Pollux
Fearless Management
bork
(01-02-2020, 03:44 AM)Pollux Wrote:

Cars and Props take up more than anything else by a long shot, playermodels we have are generally very low in file size due to magical compression. Props take up the most, for example the witcher props are 300mb just on their own, the GTA prop packs together are over a gig (I think). This is all compressed filesize too.

Do we have a way to track vehicle usage on the server? Personally I wouldn't remove the least used and would go straight up and remove super cars. But that is just me.

With that I wonder if we can see which props are actively used and eliminate ones that have little to no use as well. This should be the most optimal way to do it imo
(01-02-2020, 03:44 AM)Pollux Wrote: Cars and Props take up more than anything else by a long shot, playermodels we have are generally very low in file size due to magical compression. Props take up the most, for example the witcher props are 300mb just on their own, the GTA prop packs together are over a gig (I think). This is all compressed filesize too.

Considering removing these packs and finding a smaller array of decoration props with a much lower file size surely must be considered

(01-02-2020, 03:44 AM)Fultz: Wrote: Do we have a way to track vehicle usage on the server? Personally I wouldn't remove the least used and would go straight up and remove super cars. But that is just me.

I would rather recommend replacing all the newer car model for older ones we had before. People usually say this looks ugly but I would beg to differ; the fact is having extremely high quality models like the newer cars, sticks out like a sore thumb against the texture quality of the map and playermodels. 

The only complaints I know people had was the old ferrari and lotus elise, however all the other cars were acceptable and were removed and replaced without any sort of critical thought process towards performance and filesize.

(01-02-2020, 02:02 AM)Fultz Wrote: With that as well then how many different suits do we have? That would be another area to eliminate.
I agree something surely could be done in this area too, however I am unsure of the size of one suit.
[Image: h2.png]
Visit my profile here.

Combining jobs would have little to no effect, but you are right that models are the biggest pain (if not all of) for the loading time. Minimising high MB models/removing old ones/replacing current ones is the ideal route imo. There is also the option that someone mentioned, not sure if it was this thread, that only important content can be downloaded when joining and the rest can be done later.

edit: bit late to reply but i didnt see there was a second page
Leave a link at the loading screen that will suggest to go to x-link, which will then allow you to download the contentpack off from steam itself.

Should reduce waiting times.
(01-04-2020, 12:50 PM)Mist Wrote: Leave a link at the loading screen that will suggest to go to x-link, which will then allow you to download the contentpack off from steam itself.

Should reduce waiting times.

There's already one in the current thing, it's just buried within the clutter. in the one ive submitted for the competition i've added a clearer content link
The following 1 user Likes JONATHANPOO's post:
  • Mist