Development Rewards
Edned Wrote:I've been quite distant from the community since the map was changed to San Ranevo, but I'm glad to see things are heading in the right direction in regards to respecting community decisions and the development teams.

In my opinion, this does feel like a "monopoly money" sorta concept, as jhayw said. Are you sure the "open discourse" with the team wasn't just them thinking "well it's better than nothing"? I've seen the community cycle through devs kinda quickly in the past and I witnessed the previous team who made LL and ditched the community. A lot of the current dev team are very talented people. Alongside the community, these are the guys that have contributed a lot toward the fact that FL is still going nearly 10 years from its launch.

Admins/mods don't get 10k every time they attend an @ call, the logistics don't make sense to me. Yes, the money rewarded fluctuates based on the "importance" of the update, but there's a lot of factors such as the personal time of these people being used (especially for contributors/developers), their skill sets and more that you really need to think about.

I know that the funds are not as much as they used to be due to server upgrades and less player counts (donations), but there's many options such as more legacy items & commands (we have them for donators & admins, why not devs?), shares in donations (after the base rate for server costs are revoked from this number), "pension plans" if you want to call it that, for veteran devs, and more.

Just take a second to think about it lads!

Anyway, just my 2 cents on this.

Hi Edned!

As I stated in the thread there was indeed an open discourse. As soon as Soul stated he would be open to the idea in a discussion thread I contacted him and then I contacted the Development team and as the opening paragraph suggests, the majority of the team wished for physical money to be spent on tools the Developers used - Which Soul has been supplying (as you may have noticed we've gone under a lot of maintenance recently, this is due to us updating our systems which were at the Developers request).

They then stated that they'd be happy with in game rewards, to which I believed was fair too. They came to me and stated that 50k would be enough and from that I built upon that as the standard rate and that it could go higher depending on the size of the update.

On the topic of why don't staff get payed. At the end of the day, if I am speaking openly - a lot of people want to be staff and with that they get a lot of rewards. Before I became SA, devs did not have an ability to extend their proplimits, etc. and so we've aimed to make the admin and developer ranks equal in all ways. However, where FL is perhaps falling behind on in comparison to other similar gamemodes is the rate of Development. Our current Development team is extremely enthusiastic, as can be seen with their wish to make a public road map, etc. and so to attempt to make it even more of an incentive to bring out updates, we've brought out in game rewards. Developers can't be as easily replaced as Administrators and also it would be extremely hard to deem what would be acceptable to reward staff members in terms of @calls, etc.
[Image: f2kzlKW.png]
The following 2 users Like Divey's post:
  • Joe Joe, Conn
I'll happily take monopoly money instead, I lost like half of the money when I was younger anyway so I could use more Sad
Pollux
Fearless Management
bork
I'd be embarrassed to ask for my paycheck of 50k FL money after doing an update lol
Regards,
Panda
NOT AN Administrator
The following 2 users Like Panda's post:
  • Zambie, konsta
-snip-
I'm pretty sure this is against FL's terms of services. The translation of in-game currency to anything other than donations back to the community is strictly forbidden on Fearless according to my memory.

Is that policy repealed for this new addition?
(12-27-2019, 07:31 PM)Zambie Wrote: I'm pretty sure this is against FL's terms of services. The translation of in-game currency to anything other than donations back to the community is strictly forbidden on Fearless according to my memory.

Are you serious?
[Image: h2.png]
Visit my profile here.
The developers are soooo going to create a union and strike for higher wages and other benefits after this
(12-27-2019, 05:03 PM)Divey Wrote: Hi Edned!

As I stated in the thread there was indeed an open discourse. As soon as Soul stated he would be open to the idea in a discussion thread I contacted him and then I contacted the Development team and as the opening paragraph suggests, the majority of the team wished for physical money to be spent on tools the Developers used - Which Soul has been supplying (as you may have noticed we've gone under a lot of maintenance recently, this is due to us updating our systems which were at the Developers request).

They then stated that they'd be happy with in game rewards, to which I believed was fair too. They came to me and stated that 50k would be enough and from that I built upon that as the standard rate and that it could go higher depending on the size of the update.

On the topic of why don't staff get payed. At the end of the day, if I am speaking openly - a lot of people want to be staff and with that they get a lot of rewards. Before I became SA, devs did not have an ability to extend their proplimits, etc. and so we've aimed to make the admin and developer ranks equal in all ways. However, where FL is perhaps falling behind on in comparison to other similar gamemodes is the rate of Development. Our current Development team is extremely enthusiastic, as can be seen with their wish to make a public road map, etc. and so to attempt to make it even more of an incentive to bring out updates, we've brought out in game rewards. Developers can't be as easily replaced as Administrators and also it would be extremely hard to deem what would be acceptable to reward staff members in terms of @calls, etc.

Hi Divey,

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate your views on this.

As previously mentioned, it's definitely a step in the right direction and a lot of recent decisions recently have also, in my opinion, contributed well to the community. I'm very pleased to see the player counts also increasing again.

In your point about making the ranks equal, this is exactly what I was talking about. I meant what I said about the @ calls sarcastically, as it would be very difficult to determine how those rewards are handed out, as you said. There's also a few factors that might need to be considered. A bug that requires one line of code changing could be set as a very much needed update and rewarded the maximum. However, a new system that one of the devs came up with might not be deemed as "important" but could be a really good asset to the game to enhance RP, etc. How would that be assessed, if you don't mind me asking? I think estimated time of work should definitely be factored into that.

Developers are such an asset to this community and its growth, and they can't be replaced easily, as you said. As a developer myself, I know how time consuming it can be, or not, depending on the task in hand. It does work as an incentive to get updates out, you're right. I agree they should definitely be rewarded for the work, in some form or another. I think that in-game money is the wrong way about it though, as it is used for RP Purposes and could be devalued. I've only ever seen currency given through donations other than earning in-game. It's an odd concept to reward this way.

I think everything added should be properly credited to the authors, like an auto-generated developer CV kinda layout. On top of this, some custom in-game kit (that is obviously for show purposes only) and more. Devs get distanced from roleplay as they focus a lot of time to developing and I think something like the ability to host events given the tools to enhance RP would be a great addition and reward. Maybe also scheduling who works on certain updates, so some people are given more time off, etc.

Again, just ideas.

TL;DR - Devs are an important asset to the community and should be rewarded well, but in-game cash might be the wrong way to go about it.
Regards,
Edned

[Image: get.php?s=STEAM_0:0:51199704&b=16]
+Rep
The following 1 user Likes Edned's post:
  • Conn
50K For an update. Nice. Honestly the fact all the dev team said they dont want money and invest so much time into this server when they could be investing this time into real jobs makes me re-evaluate the words logic.

-Removed by Steven8ken
The following 1 user Likes Dragnort_'s post:
  • Ghost
(12-26-2019, 09:49 PM)Divey Wrote:

Today I am announcing the introduction of Development rewards. After a discussion with both SoulRipper and the Dev team it seems that rather than physical pay, they'd much rather money go towards services they can benefit from, rather than money going into their own pockets. 

[Image: e02e5ffb5f980cd8262cf7f0ae00a4a9_press-x...19-238.jpg]
The following 3 users Like Zambie's post:
  • Dragnort_, Arch.B, Ghost