Lack of Roleplay?
From what i've heard, actual roleplay on the server has completely deteriorated and there's a severe lack of good roleplay.

I started to experience this a while back with meeting new people who could not progress their roleplay skill due to a lack of role models to teach them how to properly do it.

For me, this is most likely because of the absence of most of the original roleplayers on FL, their absence is mostly due to bans or just lost interest but i feel as if there's a few other reasons why roleplay has dropped in quality.

I've mentioned some commonly noted 'causes' for the lack of quality roleplay in the community, What do you guys think?

Reason. A - The Absence of Teachers.

Reason. B - Lack of old members of the community that most likely taught anybody who is currently good at roleplaying in the community how to.

Reason. C - No community-wide drive to roleplay good or to a high standard due to lack of reward or lack of notice from staff to get a better reputation in the community.

Reason. D - The fault lies in the staff, they should roleplay more in game to be a role model and teach new people to roleplay. Or is this a teachers job that can no longer be properly done due to the removal of the official rank?
The following 2 users Like JackZ's post:
  • Lewwings, mintblackbeard
Personally, to me, the fault lies in reason D.

The removal of the teacher rank has to be one of the weirder decisions to make. Yes, I agreed with it at the start, hoping the team would cover the role of both staff and what teachers did. However, as time went on, it became clear this was a very stupid decision.

Firstly, the active presence of staff during peak times vanished, leaving the server open to various forms of mingery and rulebreakage. So, without staff to even enforce the rules, how are they meant to teach and assist those with questions?

Apparently, it's up to the community as a whole to answer these questions, great! Just one slight problem -

Who's even going to try to roleplay or follow rules when it's minge o'clock and there's a prop-terrorist attack at Nexus?

That's right. Nobody.

Without staff on to monitor the server in the first place, and to ensure the rules are followed, then server roleplay breaks down, and attempting to roleplay on the server, let alone the community trying to help out with newbie's questions, is impossible, because half of them are at their death screen from someone CDM bowling them.

In short, staff performance is below average, and the removal of the teachers is dumb unless the staff are willing to be active to do both duties.

[Image: jUcv1hb.png]

Inactive admins + Lack of authority + timidity = Bad server full of people who hate it.
I don't think Fearless is a server you're going to find consistently strong RP on, no matter the situation. This is for a number of reasons.

Props etc. allow for unique, creative RPs. The amount of breadth one has when creating passive roleplays is immense, and the few players who play in this way have a lot of freedom. However, players that aren't performing passiveRPs are left with a semi-serious structure that allows for a more casual yet long-term play style. This means that whilst the RP may be of lesser quality, it's more pick-upable and easier on newer players. I also don't think the large map lends itself to passiveRP well. It's too spread out, passiveRPs don't receive the foottraffic from regular players enough and are left with little reason to continue their RPs for very long.

On SeriousRP, from CW to PH, there are no props or passiveRPs. It is consistently strong, mainly aggressive, but incredibly done roleplay. It is simply a different style. Sure, the RP is of high quality, but there isn't the fun freedom FL has. There aren't any laughs to be had. I don't think it's possible to have a consistent high standard of RP within CityRP. That's not a bad thing, though.
Nuka
Modelling/Texturing Contributor
The following 1 user Likes Nuka's post:
  • Grunt
are you sick or something, use the default forum font jesus christ my eyes are bleeding
(10-13-2018, 04:49 PM)Nuka Wrote: I don't think Fearless is a server you're going to find consistently strong RP on, no matter the situation. This is for a number of reasons.

Props etc. allow for unique, creative RPs. The amount of breadth one has when creating passive roleplays is immense, and the few players who play in this way have a lot of freedom. However, players that aren't performing passiveRPs are left with a semi-serious structure that allows for a more casual yet long-term play style. This means that whilst the RP may be of lesser quality, it's more pick-upable and easier on newer players. I also don't think the large map lends itself to passiveRP well. It's too spread out, passiveRPs don't receive the foottraffic from regular players enough and are left with little reason to continue their RPs for very long.

On SeriousRP, from CW to PH, there are no props or passiveRPs. It is consistently strong, mainly aggressive, but incredibly done roleplay. It is simply a different style. Sure, the RP is of high quality, but there isn't the fun freedom FL has. There aren't any laughs to be had. I don't think it's possible to have a consistent high standard of RP within CityRP. That's not a bad thing, though.

I'm not talking about continuous quality roleplay, i'm talking about when roleplay is conducted, such as in passive RP's, the actual quality of that roleplay has gotten a lot worse apparently and from what i've seen.
Mixture of all 4 stemming from lack of staff actually doing shit
yes i agree it's a combination of all reasons
Hello. 

I'd like to throw my opinion into the mix here. I fully disagree with your statement of roleplay having deteriorated. Perhaps, there might be a slight decrease of quality roleplay but in all honesty: it could simply be the time of year. 

The amount of roleplay will always fluctuate throughout the year and when a server feels empty then I doubt it will stay such for long. Why do I think then? Due to the great amount of updates delivered to the server. Fearlezs keeps adding that dash of freshness to the old content which will spark that inner fire for the true roleplayers. 

Another thing I'd like to add is that I find it sad you're pointing fingers. Mostly because I feel you are blaming people and not really looking at yourself. Although it is very good you are willing to analyse the situation, perhaps this is not the way. I feel the staff has enough on their plate and like many, can be absolutely fred to choose if they wish to roleplay. They need to be a rolemodel, correct. But should we force them to start roleplaying with others whilst they have other tasks at hand? 

I do feel saddened that the staff members are partly being blamed whilst it is the community as a whole that needs to find that spark again.

You do not wait for roleplay to be created for you. You are a fellow creaktor. So please use that power for it is your right.
(10-13-2018, 10:09 PM)KimmyPanda Wrote: Hello. 

I'd like to throw my opinion into the mix here. I fully disagree with your statement of roleplay having deteriorated. Perhaps, there might be a slight decrease of quality roleplay but in all honesty: it could simply be the time of year. 

The amount of roleplay will always fluctuate throughout the year and when a server feels empty then I doubt it will stay such for long. Why do I think then? Due to the great amount of updates delivered to the server. Fearlezs keeps adding that dash of freshness to the old content which will spark that inner fire for the true roleplayers. 

Another thing I'd like to add is that I find it sad you're pointing fingers. Mostly because I feel you are blaming people and not really looking at yourself. Although it is very good you are willing to analyse the situation, perhaps this is not the way. I feel the staff has enough on their plate and like many, can be absolutely fred to choose if they wish to roleplay. They need to be a rolemodel, correct. But should we force them to start roleplaying with others whilst they have other tasks at hand? 

I do feel saddened that the staff members are partly being blamed whilst it is the community as a whole that needs to find that spark again.

You do not wait for roleplay to be created for you. You are a fellow creaktor. So please use that power for it is your right.

Your statements are from your experience on the server currently.

Roleplay is a lot worse than what it was and the standards of high quality roleplay has gone down, what you perceive as good roleplay is a lot different from what it actually is, or has been in the past when fearless was in its prime time. The time of the year doesn't affect how good roleplay is, where in the hell did you get that idea from?

You're also saying that we shouldn't 'force' people (staff) to roleplay. How does this make any sense? This is a roleplay server, if you are a staff member that administrates over others roleplay, you should be able to conduct, and show others how to conduct a good roleplay yourself.

The updates are making it easier for you not to roleplay and for stuff to roleplay for you as well.

I've been on the side of setting an example and being a role model to players as a teacher and even rewarding points to people, to add this was when FL was in its good age as well. I even gave you a point for a roleplay once.

Back onto things though, i am not pointing fingers either, this is a discussion thread meant for community input, i'm literally asking what others think and am pointing out commonly noted reasons. 

Did you even read the OP?
Stop trying to white knight the staff.