Removal of the Teacher rank
(07-06-2018, 10:08 AM)Zona Wrote:
(07-06-2018, 09:58 AM)Yonno Wrote: -snip-

I think you also have missed the point which many has pointed out, they are normal roleplayers. How much time does it take to chat with a new player? I don't take much time at all. It is simply being nice and saying "Hey, whats up?" and there you have it. It doesn't have to be a 30 min long chat about love or whatever the topic will be. 

The thing is that when it states in the tips and requirements for becoming a teacher that you should all these things which is actually expected of you as a teacher then do it. Roleplay as normal but maybe involve a new player which you haven't roleplayed with. DO another roleplay style for maybe 1-2 hours or maybe just do a shop RP. Teachers often roleplay with other well-known players in the community and they forget that the community is more than them. The community is also the new players, the veteran role players who have roleplayed for ages, the roleplayers in the middle who isn't recent new and who hasn't been here for a long-term and the community is also the well-known players. I have never ever seen one of the "current" teachers roleplay with someone under 50 hours and that's not okay. If you don't want to be a role model and set an example but you want to contrafarm then resign and let someone else take the role. If you are just hungry on getting a shiny rank then resign and let someone else take the role. You don't have to be a teacher until you have to leave the server because you need to focus more on school or because you are getting promoted to a higher rank or whatever. Take a break in some month if you only want to roleplay with the well-known roleplayers and let someone else do the important job. 

The server has turned into a minge server now and I believe I'm not the only one who thinks this ...

(Sorry for the horrible grammatic... It went a bit too fast but yea)

As an ex-administrator who was phased for 80% of his time being on the server observing random events I can safely say that the whole concept of people being in it for the role is a big misconception (nowadays). Perhaps people weren't as active as they were supposed to be and I'm just going to assume they all had their reasons for it. But during my time as an administrator I do not remember a single teacher having applied just for the rank. During my time I've seen all of them have their ups and downs, but they were open to assist players when necessary. 

As for the claim stating the server has become a minge server, no, it has not. Just like any other experience in your life the negative ones will always have greater effect than the positive ones. It's called the negativity bias.
Regards,

[Image: mEVbpdN.png]
Thanks to Envy for the signature.
The following 3 users Like Yonno's post:
  • Zona, Santaliz, Lewwings
(07-06-2018, 10:15 AM)MrFinnConlon Wrote:
(07-06-2018, 09:48 AM)Zona Wrote:
(07-05-2018, 10:51 PM)Divey Wrote:
(07-05-2018, 10:50 PM)Reebs Wrote: snip

snip

I actually don’t see this, Divey. You all talked about how teachers were going to be the role models. Excellent role players who both acted maturely in both public and behind the scenes. Someone who got fabulous building skills and who will be there to assist role play and hand out rewards to exceptional role plays which staff doesn’t have much time to when the server is full and only one or two staff members are online like it often is these days. Teachers are great roleplayers with an amazing knowledge and experience with both the gamemode and the roleplay-styles which is important to have when you are going to set an example. They need teachers who are out in the streets where the roleplays are, not in the air where the admins fly. You need teachers who see the whole roleplay and sees who is in involved, not all the players who are at the scene. You need teachers who promote passive RP, underground RP and other types of roleplays which is less active on our servers, not teachers who contrafarm in a base with only themselves and other popular and well-known members. You need teachers who start the chats with new players who maybe don't know the intentions of what the server is for and you need teachers who can help both new and experienced players out to create the best roleplay scenarios you can get by using their knowledge and their own experience

I believe this is how the teacher team should work... Not how I have seen them for the last weeks. I have only seen teachers basing with each other on a hidden place in gas masks! How are the new players going to see the exceptional roleplayers who have been SELECTED to be role models for the future roleplayers here at FL, when they only sit in a room and contrafarm? 

I believe the issue is here and I think you guys really should rethink your actions and start working on what you agreed on in the first place.

But why should it be only a teacher that does all those things?
The point of the removal of the rank was that many people saw the fact there were teachers as a reason not to help in OCC ect. 
The teacher rank set a presidence where community members would stop helping because it was the teacher's job, a retoric I heard too frequently and has always been present though escalating as of recent due to community dynamics changing. 

That also combined with the fact that the rank unnecessary elevated players above everyone else for doing something anyone else can do. Many believed it was a gateway to staff.

If the whole community got more involved in helping everyone else then it should make the experience more pleasant. Wouldn't it be better if everyone on the server behaved like you described rather then a select four?

I have never said that teacher should be the only one to do it but it will be more like that they are a few selected by the staff members and they are some people who would like to do more. They would like to be there a bit extra for players and staff feel they are great examples to show to both new and old players to set an example of what an excellent roleplayer can be like. 

Have you tried to ask a question in the OOC recently? I can't even type "Hello, my name is Zona and I am from Norway and I like potatoes" before the question is answered. Great to see people help out but are that really the only role to a teacher? To answer questions? That was not only the main goal but it could be a part of it. Of course, everyone can answer questions and be role models however teachers are often the perfect example which simply is being pointed out and recommended by the staff team.
[Image: clvck9d.png]
(07-06-2018, 10:16 AM)Yonno Wrote:

I think you also have missed the point which many has pointed out, they are normal roleplayers. How much time does it take to chat with a new player? I don't take much time at all. It is simply being nice and saying "Hey, whats up?" and there you have it. It doesn't have to be a 30 min long chat about love or whatever the topic will be. 

The thing is that when it states in the tips and requirements for becoming a teacher that you should all these things which is actually expected of you as a teacher then do it. Roleplay as normal but maybe involve a new player which you haven't roleplayed with. DO another roleplay style for maybe 1-2 hours or maybe just do a shop RP. Teachers often roleplay with other well-known players in the community and they forget that the community is more than them. The community is also the new players, the veteran role players who have roleplayed for ages, the roleplayers in the middle who isn't recent new and who hasn't been here for a long-term and the community is also the well-known players. I have never ever seen one of the "current" teachers roleplay with someone under 50 hours and that's not okay. If you don't want to be a role model and set an example but you want to contrafarm then resign and let someone else take the role. If you are just hungry on getting a shiny rank then resign and let someone else take the role. You don't have to be a teacher until you have to leave the server because you need to focus more on school or because you are getting promoted to a higher rank or whatever. Take a break in some month if you only want to roleplay with the well-known roleplayers and let someone else do the important job. 

The server has turned into a minge server now and I believe I'm not the only one who thinks this ...

(Sorry for the horrible grammatic... It went a bit too fast but yea)

As an ex-administrator who was phased for 80% of his time being on the server observing random events I can safely say that the whole concept of people being in it for the role is a big misconception (nowadays). Perhaps people weren't as active as they were supposed to be and I'm just going to assume they all had their reasons for it. But during my time as an administrator I do not remember a single teacher having applied just for the rank. During my time I've seen all of them have their ups and downs, but they were open to assist players when necessary. 

As for the claim stating the server has become a minge server, no, it has not. Just like any other experience in your life the negative ones will always have greater effect than the positive ones. It's called the negativity bias.

Well only applying to get a rank is an argument which has been used a lot in these discussions in this thread. The server has, in fact, become more mingy because there are fewer staff members online these days and loads of people continue and continue. I can't say that I haven't been a bit mingy because I have indeed. Not very proud but when the server has lack of roleplays and loads of RDM and CDM and minges then your reason for roleplaying is getting lower and lower. It is not funny when your RP is not being taken seriously and people come and minge and ruining your RP. Simply as that.
[Image: clvck9d.png]
(07-06-2018, 10:30 AM)Zona Wrote:
(07-06-2018, 10:16 AM)Yonno Wrote:

-snip-

-snip-

Well only applying to get a rank is an argument which has been used a lot in these discussions in this thread. The server has, in fact, become more mingy because there are fewer staff members online these days and loads of people continue and continue. I can't say that I haven't been a bit mingy because I have indeed. Not very proud but when the server has lack of roleplays and loads of RDM and CDM and minges then your reason for roleplaying is getting lower and lower. It is not funny when your RP is not being taken seriously and people come and minge and ruining your RP. Simply as that.

I can understand your frustration in regards to rulebreakers though I wouldn't say it condones being mingey yourself, no offense of course. Administrators go through phases during their time as staff, I myself went through the exact same phase, though more extreme, which also led to my resignation. It starts with full motivation of being on the server due to newly acquired powers and status etc, it's exciting. Over time things start becoming more and more of a "standard procedure". Sometimes people find other stuff they'd rather do than always be on the same server doing the same, I don't blame them for that. Should they step down if they temporarily lose interest in the server? No, not necessarily.

Though perhaps it would be helpful if admins would at least put an x amount of time per week into the server. While administrating is something people do as a free service, it still comes with a lot of responsibility, and that includes keeping the server as clean as possible, and I do agree with you that it's been quite lacking at times lately.

Though I personally believe that due to these "phases" and potential temporary loss of interest, the activity will hopefully go up again soon, especially during summer holidays.
Regards,

The following 2 users Like Yonno's post:
  • Zona, Joe Joe
I only do not understand this.While in every poll and feedback surveys the community Cleary said that is in favour of the teacher rank why does it get removed?
Wow, its a shame to be fair. Especially to those who took real pride and ownership to be that go-to guy.

I can see no real benefit to have removed this to be fair, you can still have the role and simultaneously stimulate the community help each other. Teachers were perfect especially for those new players as they knew they had the security that if they do message a teacher they would get quality help, rather than messaging a player and getting, average help.

No Salt here, but I feel this is a step backwards
[Image: e5bf68204644a67fc15ab6cd327926a2.png]
The following 7 users Like Obay's post:
  • User 21796, Zona, Wolven, mintblackbeard, Eclipze, Pinky, Balls
(07-06-2018, 11:17 AM)Dimitris Wrote: I only do not understand this.While in every poll and feedback surveys the community Cleary said that is in favour of the teacher rank why does it get removed?

Im sorry. Does the community's opinion on every subject have to be the strongest impact on every decision the staff makes? It was said here that the vote was unanimous within the staff, I do not believe that they need to come out with a poll for everything. 

Be thankful for the amount of input you guys are getting now, because this has been the most in my whole time on FL instead of complaining everytime you personally do not get to have a say. Trust the admin team. That is what they are there for.
The following 2 users Like Fultz's post:
  • Lewwings, Wolven
(07-06-2018, 12:12 PM)Fultz Wrote:
(07-06-2018, 11:17 AM)Dimitris Wrote: I only do not understand this.While in every poll and feedback surveys the community Cleary said that is in favour of the teacher rank why does it get removed?

Im sorry. Does the community's opinion on every subject have to be the strongest impact on every decision the staff makes? It was said here that the vote was unanimous within the staff, I do not believe that they need to come out with a poll for everything. 

Be thankful for the amount of input you guys are getting now, because this has been the most in my whole time on FL instead of complaining everytime you personally do not get to have a say. Trust the admin team. That is what they are there for.

Well, that's weird I thought you've been here for some time...
I'm calling bullshit on this -

[Image: unknown.png]

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

[Image: jUcv1hb.png]

(07-06-2018, 01:38 PM)Lewwings Wrote: I'm calling bullshit on this -

[Image: unknown.png]

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Looks like Marty was right, people are already picking up coding to apply for contributor  Cool Cool
Regards,

The following 4 users Like Yonno's post:
  • Lewwings, James, Grunt, DVN