Poll: Should there be a map switch?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes.
88.52%
54 88.52%
No.
11.48%
7 11.48%
Total 61 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Should FL Change Map?
The text below is from my post in Ghostkillers 'AggressiveRP talk' thread. Yes, there has been a discussion recently about v2d being a possible map to switch to. However, the discussion, in my opinion, was dealt with incorrectly and only argued about v2d. I'd like people to discuss the pros and cons of most maps we could switch to. Please keep any flaming or 'posting to increase post count' out of this discussion as it serves no purpose and puts this topic in a bad light.

A map the server uses plays a very important role in offering the most amount of roleplay available, whilst being as stable as possible and being interesting enough to keep the player base large and active. And although the map FL currently uses (V5P) allows for a variety of interesting roleplays to take place, one can not argue the fact that it is incredibly unstable and offers nothing other than low fps and in some cases, Garry's Mod crashes. Therefore, the map must be switched again to another that offers good server stability, roleplay opportunities, and an interesting nature. The first map that will enter peoples minds will be v2d, and I couldn't argue against that. V2d offers everything mentioned above, which will be great for FL and its community. However, you cannot argue that the map is outdated with low textures, has an ugly colour palette and also has a terrible skybox. With all of this in mind, someone may be able to create a more up-to-date version of v2d with a higher texture resolution, colour palette, and skybox to keep up-to-date with today's maps, yet create a nostalgic and playable server with many roleplay opportunities. Map choice is a very debatable topic and has shown to create very large discussions, however we must discuss and argue more about FL's map choice, not just for our sake, but for the future players and FL itself.
Kind Regards,
[Image: 2tVFym3.png]
The following 2 users Like Grape's post:
  • JackZ, Foxirius2205
(05-04-2018, 04:21 PM)Grapefruit Wrote: With all of this in mind, someone may be able to create a more up-to-date version of v2d with a higher texture resolution, colour palette, and skybox to keep up-to-date with today's maps, yet create a nostalgic and playable server with many roleplay opportunities.

The problem with this is that it requires permission from the original creator of the map, Sgt. Sickness, who has been a bit inactive at least on Facepunch. His latest work has been EvoCity 3, which has been in development for around 3 years now, so we can't really expect to have that map any time soon.

Even if permission is given, updating the map, fixing things and optimizing would take time and a lot of wor. In the end, it might very well not be worth it as it will then decrease the fps that players hope to achieve. It has a lot to do with the gamemode itself, as there is a lot of content and the game/engine itself is quite old as well.

Of course, there are non-EvoCity maps available, but the server has been built around the concept of EvoCity so it would be a bit odd to abandon the "lore" of the server and what the community is built upon.
[Image: 8TTYBHM.png]
The following 8 users Like TheSiphon's post:
  • Panda, Jonas, CorieTheNub, DVN, Random, Andrew Juniperfield, Narcotic, Mauroulis
I think with the smaller player base, if a map change was going to happen, I would like to see a smaller map.
#bringbackv33xandv2p
v2d - died due to noone ever playing it, won’t help to force people. Fact.

v4b1 - alright, poorly optimized tho.

v5p - perfect for almost every roleplay, and optimized.

Don’t switch. It’s working, no need to replace it unless you’ve got something that will improve it. Most likely won’t happrn.
[Image: edfa8a344463b04e45f386ad4525099e.png]
The following 6 users Like Jonas's post:
  • Joe Joe, Jeffrey, Nudelsalat, Vegas_, Dragnort_, Andrew Juniperfield
LittleTown btw  Cool
Regards,

[Image: mEVbpdN.png]
Thanks to Envy for the signature.
The following 4 users Like Yonno's post:
  • Schnitzelburger, Luna, Random, Nudelsalat
(05-04-2018, 06:10 PM)Jonas Wrote: v5p - perfect for almost every roleplay, and optimized.

Don’t switch. It’s working, no need to replace it unless you’ve got something that will improve it. Most likely won’t happrn.

Thing about v5p is that it's too large usually even for a full server, a lot of buildings end up being useless like for example what used to be called offices on v33x etc. I've never seen the offices being used at all, minnesota building I've seen used once for passive rp and not to mention the majority of stores in the slums and at the apartments are almost never in use at all. I feel v33x and v2d were really good sized maps for the community and in my opinion the reason v2d died wasn't because no one liked it but the majority of players just stayed on v33x/v4b/v5p and never bothered changing over to v2d when it was re-added quite a few times, we just dont have the playerbase for 2 servers anymore which is why v2d failed. I'd suggest something like chaos city because its an extension of evocity but it might just still be too large.
The following 1 user Likes sebasti161's post:
  • Lewwings
Rp_chaos_city
The map I enjoyed the most was v2d, always felt the most optimized and had the most space of use for RP.
hahhahah for fuck sakes, give it a rest already
Kind Regards,
Floodify
The following 5 users Like Floodify's post:
  • CorieTheNub, Iraqi Eagle, sebasti161, Nudelsalat, Dragnort_