[Solved] High Disk Usage
Past few weeks this shit has lagged my game to fuck up to the point where it's unplayable. Not a clue why. Tried tons of solutions but non have permanently fixed it. Anybody else experienced this or know some fixes?

[Image: 3BNZuWI.jpg]
This may or may not work but try this:

Go to your run on your computer (Hold windows key and press R) then type 'temp'.
Then what you need to do is delete everything inside that folder, if it says 'cannot be deleted just press skip.
Then go to your run again and type '%temp%' and do the same as above, type 'prefetch' after %temp% and then go to your recycle bin and clear it. This helps me when my hard disk is a little sluggish and you can clear up to 30GB of space in just them three temporary file areas.
Regards,
Panda
NOT AN Administrator
The following 1 user Likes Panda's post:
  • Ethan Bradberry
Same as panda but miles easier to do

install CCcleaner, run cleaner, run registery checks
done.
[Image: ETQjSgL.jpg]
Made by Me X | Give a Rep, You May Get Something in Return *wink* ,Click Here
(11-18-2017, 09:24 PM)Panda Wrote: This may or may not work but try this:

Go to your run on your computer (Hold windows key and press R) then type 'temp'.
Then what you need to do is delete everything inside that folder, if it says 'cannot be deleted just press skip.
Then go to your run again and type '%temp%' and do the same as above, type 'prefetch' after %temp% and then go to your recycle bin and clear it. This helps me when my hard disk is a little sluggish and you can clear up to 30GB of space in just them three temporary file areas.

Thanks, this worked. However, like other solutions it stopped working after a while so i'd like to keep this open incase the problem comes back. I'll keep it updated. So deleting files can help fix this? (Will deleting like 120gb of video help?)
(11-18-2017, 10:24 PM)SelfGamer5 Wrote:
(11-18-2017, 10:10 PM)Ethan Bradberry Wrote:
(11-18-2017, 09:24 PM)Panda Wrote: This may or may not work but try this:

Thanks, this worked. However, like other solutions it stopped working after a while so i'd like to keep this open incase the problem comes back. I'll keep it updated. So deleting files can help fix this? (Will deleting like 120gb of video help?)

Yeah, things taking up THAT much would be a good idea to remove

What exactly were you doing at the time you took the screenshot? Did you open or close any programs during the last 5 minutes from the time you took the screenshot? Did you install, edit a simple setting anything during that time? If your pc is idling just at the time and you're playing, say music only that's extremely high usage for just idling. Here's some perspective on when I have 10 tabs, music on, few communication programs running

Spoiler :
[Image: T5-sKWsWSv6hatXQDDVw8w.png]

No, don't delete static files. That won't solve a thing unless your drive(s) are extremely near to being full (few GBs left). If something as ridiculous as this would slow down your pc, no server or 8TB drive would be in sale.

Cortana itself is known to cause significant performance issues in earlier win 10 builds and in the screenshot I can see cortana hogging 20% of your drive resources, I'd suggest disabling it and see if that solves the issues. There are numerous easy ways to disable cortana, I'd do it via a registry edit (google is full of ways to disable win 10 features, if you run in to a trouble with this, ask).

I did some googling and this could also be caused by cortana cataloguing/indexing your music files for groove music -program.

However, this could also be caused by malwarous files in your temporary folders. Especially since you stated that clearing those files temporarily sped up your system but the problem came back. Maybe a program such as your browser is infected or a site you've visited brings back the malware. I'd do a scan with both malwarebytes and their separate 'adw cleaner' program and run ccleaner on top of that.
The following 2 users Like Joulle's post:
  • Self, Awestruck
Mines always 100% Usage but thats just because its a shitty 2TB seagate drive, as said above get rid of Cortana, go to your boot services and stop anything that you dont want starting up when you log in to pop up so it will only activate when you load it.

-Removed by Steven8ken
HDD consume 100% for gmod, not sure about SSD, since I won't use it for gmod and FL (So pointless)
[Image: image.png]
Doctor KuLa
Always Drunk
(11-18-2017, 10:51 PM)Joulle Wrote:
(11-18-2017, 10:24 PM)SelfGamer5 Wrote:
(11-18-2017, 10:10 PM)Ethan Bradberry Wrote:
(11-18-2017, 09:24 PM)Panda Wrote: snip

snip
sniper

What exactly were you doing at the time you took the screenshot? Did you open or close any programs during the last 5 minutes from the time you took the screenshot? Did you install, edit a simple setting anything during that time? If your pc is idling just at the time and you're playing, say music only that's extremely high usage for just idling. Here's some perspective on when I have 10 tabs, music on, few communication programs running

Spoiler :
[Image: T5-sKWsWSv6hatXQDDVw8w.png]

No, don't delete static files. That won't solve a thing unless your drive(s) are extremely near to being full (few GBs left). If something as ridiculous as this would slow down your pc, no server or 8TB drive would be in sale.

Cortana itself is known to cause significant performance issues in earlier win 10 builds and in the screenshot I can see cortana hogging 20% of your drive resources, I'd suggest disabling it and see if that solves the issues. There are numerous easy ways to disable cortana, I'd do it via a registry edit (google is full of ways to disable win 10 features, if you run in to a trouble with this, ask).

I did some googling and this could also be caused by cortana cataloguing/indexing your music files for groove music -program.

However, this could also be caused by malwarous files in your temporary folders. Especially since you stated that clearing those files temporarily sped up your system but the problem came back. Maybe a program such as your browser is infected or a site you've visited brings back the malware. I'd do a scan with both malwarebytes and their separate 'adw cleaner' program and run ccleaner on top of that.

That time was not long after loading up my PC after a retard. It was like that regardless what I was doing. I have cortana only enabled while searching (its off searching for the clipper tool).  It's now went back to being super high again. It lasted for like 1 1/2 hours before going back up to high (From Panda's fix)
This probably isnt the same issue but for me i had to disable windows defender for a while before re enabling (couple hours at least), i dont know why but it worked for me, maybe it will yield same results for you. You could also try doing a clean boot that only allows microsoft authorized programs on startup, no third party like steam or discord.
(11-19-2017, 10:34 AM)MacTavish Wrote: This probably isnt the same issue but for me i had to disable windows defender for a while before re enabling (couple hours at least), i dont know why but it worked for me, maybe it will yield same results for you. You could also try doing a clean boot that only allows microsoft authorized programs on startup, no third party like steam or discord.

Just tried this, no results.
Thanks though