Blood Types
Hey everyone!

I'm currently doing a big biology project.
We received a lot of questions and two of them I can't really answer myself.
So if any of you guys know something about blood types, please read below:

1. If the mom is blood type A and the father is A;
What will their child then become? Make a crossing scheme.

2. If a mother has blood type B and her child has blood type 0;
What does the father then posses? Make a crossing scheme.

I really need the help/answers tonight!

StillAlive :-)
Internet.
Tried that. I can't find it anywhere..
Agh, I remember we had this in class

Was something like:

Mother
Father. A
A. AA

Agh nevermind, fudge this

Edit: also, this came out very weird somehow.
The only thing similar to this I remember from Biology is the Mendelian inheritance, but I don't think that's going to help.
Can't really remember the dominant/recessive rules from biology in class 10, I think that's where we had blood last.

But I found this:

[Image: N9ZK.jpg]

Yeah by looking at the table it becomes quiet clear again.
It's really similar to the Mendelian inheritance, don't know if you had that at school yet. That's really quiet easy. If you wanna know about that just ask.

OK I just read a bit more because I wanted to know it again.

A and B are dominant opposite 0, meaning that if e.g. mother has AB and father 0, the only blood the child can have would be A or B.
A or B can therefore have the genotypes AA or A0, BB or B0, as they will always be dominant opposite 0.

This it why the 0 is in the table sometimes.

If you have A + A it could also be

A0 + A0
this results in AA, A0, A0, 00 -> child will be blood type A in 3/4 cases and blood type 0 in 1/4 of the cases.
Dare to think!

Damn this really helped. Thank you thank you thank you!

If you have the time could you then take a look at my second task? I'm pretty stuck here also.
Problem with this one is, that it isn't possible to show it in a scheme.. Hmm.
"2. If a mother has blood type B and her child has blood type 0;
What does the father then posses? Make a crossing scheme."

I've done these in High School Biology, so allow me to help you out. '

This is indeed a case of Mendelian inheritance (I'd think, can't think of it being anything else), but instead of the recessive/dominant gene-pair, Blood type is one of the aspects of a human that is inherited via Co-affection of the two genes inherited.

In short, both genes contribute, instead of the other one directly ruling over the outcome. Now, to the task itself.

A blood type "B" will appear if the Gene pairs are either of the following, it doesn't matter which parent they are from:
1. B and B
2. B and 0

Because the Child has the bloodtype of 0, which is only possible with an inherited a genotype:
0 and 0

Because the child has to inherit an 0-gene from their mother to be of the 0-bloodtype, there's no other choice for the mother's genotype as:
B and 0, out of which the child inherits the 0-part.

To be of 0-bloodtype, the child needs to inherit ANOTHER 0-gene from their father. Therefore, the possible genotypes for the father are ANY that include AT LEAST one 0-gene, because the child will RANDOMLY inherit either one. :

1. A and 0
2. B and 0
3. 0 and 0

With the aforementioned genotypes, there IS A POSSIBILITY OF THE CHILD INHERITING TWO 0-GENES, ONE FROM EACH PARENT.

Therefore, you'll need to make a total of 3 crossing schemes. ^^

I hope that helped, I tried to make it as understandable as possible. Cool

EDIT: It's also relatively easy to put these in a cross scheme. Have the mothers genes in a vertical column, and the fathers in a horizontical one, and add them together! Allow me to demonstrate. In this case, the father has the Genotype A and 0:

A 0

B [AB] [B0]

0 [A0] [00] <- This is what you need to establish, the possibility of inheriting an 0-Bloodtype.

Now, just do the following to the other possible genotypes of the father and you're done!
You two saved my life! It is actually pretty simple when you get it.

Thank you both for the time and effort. Really, this is great! Aw now I can even get some sleep before school. I'll appreciate that tomorrow.

Btw. you two explained it better than my teacher. Nice one.