Police got too much authority?
Good day/evening/morning, whatever it might be.
I am a quite new player on your server, going by the name of Terra Knight.

It has come to my attention, from a "run-in" with the cops this morning, that they seem to have too much "power" over people and their possessions. I am going to give an of why I believe it might be so. I am not sure, but it might have just been the 3 people (1 cop and 2 SS agents) that were doing it, but I will tell you the story anyway:

Me, being a gun-dealer, was asked by a friend of mine, which was a rebel at the time, to come join him and make a base. At first, I thought it sounded like a good idea, and so it was.

Now, before I continue, I will have to make it clear: The only thing in the rules against other classes then corleones and rebels making bases, would be the:
2. You must play like your job name, for example when you are chef, don't go around raiding.
found in the job rules section.

Now, after a while, the friend of mine quit, leaving me with the facility.
I redid what he had done, and put up a prop "barrier" using the fade door, buttons and keypads (which I will also ask about further in my post)

again, I didn't find that illegal, as more then just me do it (basicly everyone ingame that have "something" to hide)

then a few of my friends from another community joined, and we decided that instead of calling it base, it would be our warehouse, as we were not in any specific "gang"

Now, ofc, as you could have guessed, which everyone of us does, we had contrabans in there as well, which we had well hidden, mind you.

Now, here is the problem: a police officer, without asking about getting in or if he may enter our facilities, opens the warehouse door, notices our barricade, jumps up and down which would make you BARELY be able to see the props where within we had hidden our contrabans (Here is the thing: He was unable to see any contrabans, only the walls around it, and that we were building in our "base"

Now, I just happened to notice him jumping there, without saying anything, then he left once again, without saying anything. After a little while, 2 SS agents and an police officer came into our base, demanding that we would open our barricade up and let them in (note, at this point, they didn't have a search warrent).

I kind of disconnected when they got there, but I reconnected again, around 1min 30seconds afterwards. At this point, they had miraculously gotten a search warrent, and was inside the building (I was not lying about the time, it was 1.30-1.50min, usually happens when I DC) now, they do the normal procedure with asking what is here and there, but when my keypad didn't work (thanks to me DCing) they destroyed the walls (and my contrabans, ofc) I am not sure if that is normal behaviour.

Anyway, after that, my friend who had the other contraban (there was 2 corners, one which was easily visible (mine=hidden) and his which was in the other corner, fairly invisible while jumping=his) his keypad was also broken for some reason or another, but they waited for him to fix it before taring anything down there.

Now, here is the things I think seem wierd:

1. before my contrabans were found, I made a run for it RP style, but I was teleported back and got a: "nuh-uh you can't run in this situation" in my face

normally a chase would have been in order, I believe?

2. the police officer that came first, without introducing himself, making himself heard and just barged into our storage facility (at the barricade)
his jumping up and down without saying anything could infact NOT be enough to spark an investigation/search warrent with higher ups involved unless he had talked to the residents of the area and they had denied him access to come have a look, I believe that is standard procedure. (and no, I don't believe seeing a cube box of wall around a corner should be classified as such either, as the contents are hidden.)

3. The police who "raided" us were extremely rude and tore down everything without prior notice or proper RP-manship.

4. The fact that I got teleported back in a "flee" situation.

5. The fact that the police officer and SS both agreed on that any other class then rebels or mafia aren't allowed to make "bases".
As I said earlier, I have looked through the rules, and all I could see was what I had written above, so I honestly call bullshit on that one, sorry, just needed to say it.

Now, I am not aware of what the names of the people involved are, but as one teleported me back, I believe it was an admin (cannot be sure)

This is both a complaint post about what I believe was done wrong, and a pledge that something would be done about it.

If anything, update the rules with more specific indept on these situations, as that experience totally wrecked the lust to play of one of my dear friends, stating: "damn, I think I'm gonna go cop instead so I can go into peoples homes and fuck shit up however I should please, I'm done with this server"

quoted from my friend

EDIT: Just remembered, if there is something someone would like to hide in an appartment, why the heck is it a must to have a visible keypad? I mean, wouldn't it be more realistic if the person had actually HIDDEN a freaking button for it? I mean, its just abit unrealistic (got warned twice today, once cause I didn't have a button (yes, I'm new to Gmod so I didn't know how to do) secondly for having a button hidden in another room of the apartment (which I'd say be quite alright aslong as visible, even barely) just saying that it would make it more realistic for RP and harder for cops to screw you over while having an appartment, and they actually would have had to look for it (if they had bothered)
are you the guys that were held up in the tides hotel with a big wooden wall?

While you may not wear my teams color, we still bear the same dogtags, for we are the underdogs.
Nope, we were the guys at the warehouse district in a warehouse, decorating it and learning my friend how to make stuff in Gmod
oh, then nope i was not on when this happened :/

While you may not wear my teams color, we still bear the same dogtags, for we are the underdogs.
Police are not allowed to enter your base without a search warrant. If they get a search warrant they need to have a proper reason for it, meaning some proof or suspicions made by witnesses etc.

If a cop enters your base without a warrant you can ask an Admin for help and he will get demoted/blacklisted for FailRP.

Running away from a RP situation is really not the best RP, also I suppose that the SS people or the cops had guns out, you can't run from gunpoint.
I would like to hear your definition of "run for it RP style"...

The fact that your barricades and stuff got removed is probably because you were disconnected, it's understandable that they won't be waiting until you sorted out your computer problems.

To get to your hidden keypad or button problem, this is not allowed for a reason. Mostly people will not start searching for anything like it and will refer to it as propblock. Also some people would start making buttons invisible and so on, this is why the keypad/button always has to be visible.
Dare to think!
(12-09-2011, 06:58 AM)Nudelholz Wrote: Police are not allowed to enter your base without a search warrant. If they get a search warrant they need to have a proper reason for it, meaning some proof or suspicions made by witnesses etc.

If a cop enters your base without a warrant you can ask an Admin for help and he will get demoted/blacklisted for FailRP.

Running away from a RP situation is really not the best RP, also I suppose that the SS people or the cops had guns out, you can't run from gunpoint.

The fact that your barricades and stuff got removed is probably because you were disconnected, it's understandable that they won't be waiting until you sorted out your computer problems.

To get to your hidden keypad or button problem, this is not allowed for a reason. Mostly people will not start searching for anything like it and will refer to it as propblock. Also some people would start making buttons invisible and so on, this is why the keypad/button always has to be visible.

But if the police ask to come in because they searching contraband and they let the police man in, its not a problem then?.
In my opinion a barricaded place or "Base" is enough suspicion for the President to issue a warrant, specially if no permit was granted or asked for. I grant any warrant on suspicious buildings that I have no news from. Because as you said, it means you have something to hide.

Anyways, IMO you shouldn't be basing as a gun dealer anyway.
The following 1 user Likes Holdem's post:
  • SilentGamer
I agree with Holdem.
(12-16-2011, 06:58 PM)fireslain Wrote:
(12-09-2011, 06:58 AM)Nudelholz Wrote: Police are not allowed to enter your base without a search warrant. If they get a search warrant they need to have a proper reason for it, meaning some proof or suspicions made by witnesses etc.

But if the police ask to come in because they searching contraband and they let the police man in, its not a problem then?.

They must have a good reason to search you
and they can not only warrants you because you did not bother to open for them
I had a similar ish sich with 1 cop and a SS they were blocking a road rebels commonly took with loads of car props and when any car approached they shot at it rebels or non rebels i am not sure if pres told them to do this but around half way though it the pre resigned and they only left until a new pres went up and specifically asked them to move on.

Just a example of cops kind of not following rules..