Bug 
Your name: DoDiDoFTW
Your ban ID:5338

Banned by:[FL] Lani

Server: Both.

Involved:Munky,Dorag.

Why we should unban you:
We were doing some non-offensive RP and changed our names to arabic names,
we sat outside the Tides with a small stand in the middle, hearing a song in arabic,
Shadow approved of us having this small place outside the tides.
After about 40 minutes of sitting down hearing the music, Lani flew by our sitting place.
As I was, a religious man, I said; "Alla sent us a flying man!".
Lani found that quotation offensive on his side, we all tried explaining over OOC
that this quote is not mean to be offensive in any way, Lani took what I said the wrong way.
Alla is God in arabic.
I merley said, God sent us a flying man.

Looking at it from a natural point of view, this resembles only a man who loves his god,
and should be taken as a compliment rather than a racist quote.

If you'd take a look at the sentence, "Alla sent us a flying man!", you'll see there is nothing offensive
in that quote, It's just a response to me seeing a flying man as a religious Arabic man.

Regarding to the word Alla.
Alla is a word in Arabic which means God, people might be mistaken and think that an arabic man
yelling Alla, reffers to a terrorist, this can be taken both ways, because of the stereotype, but I was using the word Alla in Its true meaning as the word God.
I'd like to mention that I said the sentence IC.

Please, take a good look at the sentence and realize it meant nothing racist to anyone on the server, and was a mere response for seeing a flying man up in the sky.
um, I haven't approved anything? Haven't seen you ingame today.
(12-06-2011, 06:40 PM)Shadow Wrote: um, I haven't approved anything? Haven't seen you ingame today.

You were on the server when I was on it, and you did approve of it outside the Tides if you don't remember.
You were playing arabic music, and trying to make a parody of the arabic language.

And when I came, you said "Alla sent us a flying man!"

Also, you were public building in front of the tides hotel.

A user also reported that what you were being was racist, and this person was a muslim.

I lowered your ban from permanent to three months.

I vote no for unban.

Dorag Wrote:Please, take a good look at the sentence and realize it meant nothing racist to anyone on the server, and was a mere response for seeing a flying man up in the sky.

This does not allow you to say a racist sentence.

Dorag Wrote:Regarding to the word Alla.
Alla is a word in Arabic which means God, people might be mistaken and think that an arabic man
yelling Alla, reffers to a terrorist, this can be taken both ways, because of the stereotype, but I was using the word Alla in Its true meaning as the word God.
I'd like to mention that I said the sentence IC.

I know what Allah means. It's still racism to say "GOD SENT US A FLYING MAN!". Specially when it's ingame, as a part of roleplaying.

Dorag Wrote:Shadow approved of us having this small place outside the tides.

Shadow agreed that what you said was racist.

Dorag Wrote:After about 40 minutes of sitting down hearing the music, Lani flew by our sitting place.

I was actually 'ghosted', which is an ULX command that makes you completely invisible. Name is not possible to see, and you were also sitting in a chair. My physgun was not up.

So the question is, how the hell did you see me? Explain this.

I approved with Lani on your Racism but I never approved a building or stand outside the tides. Numb3r(If I am not mistaken) did ask me if you could build in the Tides lobby and I said yes, if you own the building, which is all the rooms. I never said outside the tides.
In my opinion, his sentence was not meant to be racist... He saw you flying, I don't know how, I wasn't there, and yelled that "Allah sent us a flying man!" apparently. In my opinion, this was all In Character.

Also, I don't believe that saying that should be offensive. I'm sure that if someone said "Jesus Christ sent us a flying man" you wouldn't take it as racism. So, in my opinion (I keep saying this to make clear that it's just my opinion) finding that racist is a bit extremist (Not as islamic extremist, but taking the sentence to an extreme point of view). Just saying, it's my opinion.

If he did insult a religion, saying things like "Screw islam" or "Allah is a...whatever" then yes, it would be racist, but it's not, he did not say anything racist in my opinion.
My vote goes for an unban, it seems more a misconception than racism for me.
[Image: get.php?s=STEAM_0:1:15472195&b=9]
Make your own dynamic signature by clicking here.
I seriously can't see any serious racism here. Racism would be insulting the arabic culture, just trying to imitate it is no racism. Using the word 'Allah' in this context is okay as long as you are not insulting it or making fun of it.

The only reasonable things for a ban I can see here are the public building and eventually spamming music, still none of those things justifies a permanent or a 3 month ban.

I vote for an unban.
Dare to think!
(12-07-2011, 06:37 AM)Nudelholz Wrote: I seriously can't see any serious racism here. Racism would be insulting the arabic culture, just trying to imitate it is no racism. Using the word 'Allah' in this context is okay as long as you are not insulting it or making fun of it.

The only reasonable things for a ban I can see here are the public building and eventually spamming music, still none of those things justifies a permanent or a 3 month ban.

I vote for an unban.

He was saying holy Arabic words (while playing arabic music, and eventually yelling "ALLAH!"), which seemed to be a parody to me.
There was a Muslim player which found his actions racist, and so did I.

I can short the ban down to a week, since that two adminiatraters voted for a unban. This will be for public building, mic spamming and possible racism.

ALSO: I'm still wondering about you saw me while I was ghosted, explain this please.
(12-07-2011, 10:36 AM)Lani Wrote: ALSO: I'm still wondering about you saw me while I was ghosted, explain this please.

Probably just a simple HL2 engine bug, happens sometimes.
Dare to think!