content size & community input
What's up with the fetish developers seem to have with content size?
Most of the time when they talk about it (specifically soul) it's not even legit:

Quote:It's a nice suggestion, but due the inefficient way Gmod delivers content it is not possible. This would mean a thousand people would need to download 10 content packs extra for only a small number of players to use. This suggestion will get rid of new players.
News flash: Steam delivers Steam Workshop files. You don't need 10 content packs for the model suggestion if you limit it to 1-2 small models per clan, it could conceivably be one (note how in the original packs one had most of the playermodels for the gamemode).

Even then, keeping download size at about 750 MB (more than FL currently has) is no big deal. I run a server that has about 600-700 mb in downloads, and we've gotten 8,332 since January 10th 2016. That is players that have joined after downloading all the content. That right there pretty much dispels the fact that players will be deterred by content size.

Additionally, FL doesn't need to have magic "fearless content" packs. It's OK to use the existing content on the workshop - in fact it is preferable as players may already have the addon downloaded.

Now onto community input,

How is it acceptable that the 10 hour vote which got input from a whopping 40 players gets approved ( http://www.fearlessrp.net/showthread.php?tid=64917 ) to remove a whole lot of content and is implemented quickly despite bugs, yet a thread open for about 2 weeks getting 104 yes votes is not even approved for development ( http://www.fearlessrp.net/showthread.php?tid=68953 )?
[Image: nypdcruiser.gif]
The following 12 users Like goigle!'s post:
  • Awestruck, User 14519, Hungames, Holdem, Agorith, Infernaw, , Suarez, Link, aDisabledDeer, JackZ, Grunt
Extremely valid points, couldn't agree more. This seems to me like a developer vs. community, and they are the only guys capable of implementing it so obviously win no matter what.

Regardless I think the community should be given what THEY want, even if it was to trial the idea and see the communities response.

It's such a shame, cause regardless of what they update is these days we get NONE. It's the same thing every single day, we NEED new content. 3 Months into 2016 and we've had ONE update, which was one model update.
I agree. FL has been pretty stagnant with new content lately, however I'm confident this is an issue that will be dealt with soon, as well as other subjects that need looking into with the new addition of SA's.

What we also need is active coders who want to implement things, however I personally have no idea about coding. In my old community that I used to Admin we actually used part of the donation money to pay a coder to keep us updated with new stuff, like having buttons added to the elevator in V2d that let you select which floor you wanted to go to, without having to go up one floor at a time and straight down all the time.
Live a good life. If there's a god and he's just, he will not care of how devout you are, he will accept you for the virtues you have based your life upon. If there's no god, then you will have gone, but you will have lived a noble life which will stay in the memories of those that you love.
The following 2 users Like Holdem's post:
  • Infernaw, Link
I never really cared about content size. But to answer your question on that vote thing. All developers including owner agreed that the suggestion Ghostkiller made has too many flaws and will not be compactible with upcoming change in content WHICH is why updates won't come for a while as we have to be careful with this one.
Second point is that I disagree that clans should get such exclusive content. I just diagree. But when all developers disagree to do this then who is going to do it? There is one fact - We are not paid for what we are doing. So basically we do which update we think is important. You can disagree and tell us that it is OUR job to do what community wants but we're not pets.

Not to mention we're humans aswell so we got our lifes. Don't forget though, I'm a modeller that means I have very limited access to some things like RELEASING UPDATES atleast for now.

This is my response. I expect flame incoming on this one.
The following 1 user Likes DarkN00b's post:
  • Gog
I made a post a while ago basically stating the same thing, people can download the content no problem.
(03-03-2016, 03:32 PM)DarkN00b Wrote: I never really cared about content size. But to answer your question on that vote thing. All developers including owner agreed that the suggestion Ghostkiller made has too many flaws and will not be compactible with upcoming change in content WHICH is why updates won't come for a while as we have to be careful with this one.
Second point is that I disagree that clans should get such exclusive content. I just diagree. But when all developers disagree to do this then who is going to do it? There is one fact - We are not paid for what we are doing. So basically we do which update we think is important. You can disagree and tell us that it is OUR job to do what community wants but we're not pets.

Not to mention we're humans aswell so we got our lifes. Don't forget though, I'm a modeller that means I have very limited access to some things like RELEASING UPDATES atleast for now.

So, you've just confirmed that we haven't and wont be getting updates any time soon? Brilliant..
[Image: KL3qjvw.png]

The following 1 user Likes Huskii's post:
  • aDisabledDeer
(03-03-2016, 03:32 PM)DarkN00b Wrote: I never really cared about content size. But to answer your question on that vote thing. All developers including owner agreed that the suggestion Ghostkiller made has too many flaws and will not be compactible with upcoming change in content WHICH is why updates won't come for a while as we have to be careful with this one.

No flame intended, I understand your expertise is in modelling which is great.

Being in the development team, you say you guys discuss important updates and must prioritise some from my understanding here. Is there any reason we're waiting months on end for seriously tiny cosmetic updates? I really don't want to bash any of you, because you're all busy enough as it is, you have lives, and also more responsibilities on FL apart from developing for example Avgar, but it is seriously becoming concerning at the amount of time we have to wait for updates.

As said before don't take it the wrong way bud, because I appreciate what you guys do I'm just tired of waiting, I've even held back from donating again until it becomes worth it and I know FL is going to improve, something I genuinely don't want to do.
The following 3 users Like DVN's post:
  • Awestruck, Link, aDisabledDeer
I forgot the majority of people have dial-up internet. People didn't want to bring back guns that didn't look like a 2 year olds drawings because of content size, which would dneed to be downloaded ONCE and only ONCE if an update is done
(03-03-2016, 03:47 PM)DVN Wrote:

No flame intended, I understand your expertise is in modelling which is great.

Being in the development team, you say you guys discuss important updates and must prioritise some from my understanding here. Is there any reason we're waiting months on end for seriously tiny cosmetic updates? I really don't want to bash any of you, because you're all busy enough as it is, you have lives, and also more responsibilities on FL apart from developing for example Avgar, but it is seriously becoming concerning at the amount of time we have to wait for updates.

As said before don't take it the wrong way bud, because I appreciate what you guys do I'm just tired of waiting, I've even held back from donating again until it becomes worth it and I know FL is going to improve, something I genuinely don't want to do.

Well, we promised not to reveal much. But we actually plan to do that. But there are things that will take some time before we can do things like that. For example, the current content is a real mess and there are some things  that are bugged or just pointless to be there. Also same in codes. I can say it's slowly getting sorted out but it's still slow. I can't tell if it would be faster if I could do it all myself. Honestly I don't know. From my view unless FL makes some important steps before updating the problems with content will get worse and the bugs will increase too.

I don't know how long you have been waiting to be honest. Since I became developer I started to work on various things. I guess I can reveal that everything is done but now we have to deal with issue with the mess that is currently in FL. I don't really know if it would change things if I had enough access to make it faster. There are also some other things that are dead because either we don't have time or I or Avgar just can't do it. We have to work together as there's just one coder and modeller. So if one is unactive then either Avgar or me can't go on.

I agree on this. I don't like how the development is going right now but there's nothing much I can do about that now. But in my opinion it's getting better now. You probably won't believe it but the worst development was when Mavis/Coded Brain/The Doctor was here (no offence it's my opinion) - I won't reveal more about that...

I don't know what else to say. That are my troughts on current development.
I can understand that the devs have lives. However, I hope that the reason the devs became devs for Fearless was because they wanted to make the community better by keeping the players happy. After all, the server would be nothing without the players.

I just find what DarkN00b said to be quite conflicting with the point of being a developer.

"You can disagree and tell us that it is OUR job to do what community wants but we're not pets."

I believe that it is your job (not you in particular) to do what the community wants. People aren't just going to suddenly forget what they want, they will stick at it so they can enjoy the Fearless experience more.

I really hope I got my point across in the least snobbish and ungrateful way possible as I dont mean it in that way.

I would also like to personally thank the developers for everything they're doing, however, the way you've worded your post makes me feel like the community won't be listened to on this occasion.

Thanks,
AwestruckBullet
Kind Regards,

[Image: nw3ghiD.gif]