Player Reports: 'Do not request log checks'
Hello everyone.

I'd like to discuss the issue with requesting logs in player reports. I have some points I'd like to put across, but before that I'd actually like some reasoning.

Why?
Why can we not request a log check if we cannot capture sufficient proof?

Points I'd like to put across
  • I understand it will take longer to check over 'outdated' logs from hours/days ago but we now have a full staff team to handle it.
  • Majority of reports provide some evidence, but when I see them get approved a log check has already been performed to ensure the report is valid.
  • Not all of us have or are able to record in-game footage, and obviously sometimes screenshots do not prove sufficient enough.
Disclaimer
This is not a dig or an attack towards the staff or our courthouse rules, it's literally a discussion as to what you guy's think. I'd like to get some answers to, as to why it was added in the first place and what occurred to have the rule in place.
The following 4 users Like DVN's post:
  • Kahjo, aDisabledDeer, summotion, Ethan Bradberry
Wondering same..
I'd also like a change in UBR rules.

Currently, the rules stand that if you know you broke the rules, you can't make an unban request. However, what if you get a situation such as being permanently banned for advertising in OOC? Are you not allowed to make an unban request for such a silly ban length, regardless of if you knew you broke a rule?
Nuka
Modelling/Texturing Contributor
I see what you're getting at. However, logs (especially from a couple of days before) are quite hard to navigate if you will. Firstly, the logs work in a different timezone to our own and in player reports despite the fat it states to use the GMT time zone, people use other timezones and conversions take time out too. Secondly, we never know the full situation with just the logs provided as evidence. Ultimately, it will take longer to process Player Reports with log checks involved (it already takes around 4-8 mins on average to complete) taking that up to around 7-13 mins to complete, I'd say.

Despite this, I like this idea but I would only approve it if there is some form of other evidence in the Player Report and not solely relying on logs.
The following 1 user Likes Suarez's post:
  • Tomo
(10-12-2015, 03:11 PM)Sgt. Suarez Wrote: I see what you're getting at. However, logs (especially from a couple of days before) are quite hard to navigate if you will. Firstly, the logs work in a different timezone to our own and in player reports despite the fat it states to use the GMT time zone, people use other timezones and conversions take time out too. Secondly, we never know the full situation with just the logs provided as evidence. Ultimately, it will take longer to process Player Reports with log checks involved (it already takes around 4-8 mins on average to complete) taking that up to around 7-13 mins to complete, I'd say.

Despite this, I like this idea but I would only approve it if there is some form of other evidence in the Player Report and not solely relying on logs.

Very good point, not to mention any non-staff member hasn't really seen a full view on the logs so we don't know what you guy's deal with. This is a suffice explanation ad I understand why you shouldn't be able to request logs, just wish there was a way around it.
Unless the logs have changed since when I was there - I had no issues browsing them. Fairly cool tool to be honest. Sometimes I did it without anyone even requesting for it.

Time zoning shouldn't be an issue because sometimes you can use some initiative and see which country they're from or just ask them the time they gave...

Logs can be hugely useful at showing what's going on. The best ones were scam events and what not. Who cares if it takes longer, I always thought it's better to do the best you can. If it takes you 30 minutes to deal with something so be it... better than not and doing it wrong. Some events don't need any evidence and logs can pretty much prove exactly (like scamming or prop spamming). Things like FearRP or even RDM not so much.
Regards,
aviator
The following 8 users Like aviator's post:
  • Viljo, Nuka, GeorgeTheBoy, MasterNoda, Bradley, aDisabledDeer, , goigle!
(10-12-2015, 04:17 PM)aviator Wrote: Unless the logs have changed since when I was there - I had no issues browsing them. Fairly cool tool to be honest. Sometimes I did it without anyone even requesting for it.

Time zoning shouldn't be an issue because sometimes you can use some initiative and see which country they're from or just ask them the time they gave...

Logs can be hugely useful at showing what's going on. The best ones were scam events and what not. Who cares if it takes longer, I always thought it's better to do the best you can. If it takes you 30 minutes to deal with something so be it... better than not and doing it wrong. Some events don't need any evidence and logs can pretty much prove exactly (like scamming or prop spamming). Things like FearRP or even RDM not so much.

This is refreshing to see, thanks for your input mate. I like your points, and can only hope other staff members feel the same about the amount of effort that is required for reports. It's not worth making a suggestion to change this rule imo, I don't want to be altering an already functioning system. Just wanted to discuss it.
After reading over this thread, I also wonder why.
By the sound of things, the logs are easy to navigate?
Ex-Server Teacher
(10-12-2015, 04:17 PM)aviator Wrote: Unless the logs have changed since when I was there - I had no issues browsing them. Fairly cool tool to be honest. Sometimes I did it without anyone even requesting for it.

I agree, logs are easy to use and navigate. Also quick message to the staff, try and check the logs if the evidence given is not 100% airtight. I do agree that if the case is a couple of days old then it can get annoying, but if you know the time it happened then you're sorted.
What are you doing on the roof? Oh wait that's an air conditioning unit. - Suarez 2k15
The following 1 user Likes Audacter's post:
  • aDisabledDeer
What about if cases are re-opened even if logs are insufficient and no other evidence is provided by an accuser?
Kind Regards,

[Image: nw3ghiD.gif]