The staff system
(07-25-2015, 09:15 PM)Von Tempski Wrote: The problem with the current system (imo) is that it gives people who are friends with admins a huge advantage. I'm not saying that anyones being biased at all, its just a fact that you are much more likely to be noticed and put forward.

I'm not saying the current system is bad at all, it works well, I just think a hidden application system (only viewable by staff) would be a useful addition and would allow players to make themselves known.

You say it as if we ask friends who have never played Fearless before to hop on once and receive a staff position. Of course people we're friends with tend to get staff positions. They are usually the good roleplayers who cause the least amount of drama and are the most helpful. That's why the staff befriend them in the first place.

We aren't going to promote those we don't get along with as that won't make for a very functional team. That's not to say we ONLY promote those players who we know well on a friend-like basis. I didn't know many of the more recent staff very well but went off their records and what the other staff members had to say. 

Stop using the "omg admins only promote their friends" argument - it's so badly flawed it makes me laugh.
The following 1 user Likes GeorgeTheBoy's post:
  • Nacreas
(07-25-2015, 10:32 PM)GeorgeTheBoy Wrote:
(07-25-2015, 09:15 PM)Von Tempski Wrote: The problem with the current system (imo) is that it gives people who are friends with admins a huge advantage. I'm not saying that anyones being biased at all, its just a fact that you are much more likely to be noticed and put forward.

I'm not saying the current system is bad at all, it works well, I just think a hidden application system (only viewable by staff) would be a useful addition and would allow players to make themselves known.

You say it as if we ask friends who have never played Fearless before to hop on once and receive a staff position. Of course people we're friends with tend to get staff positions. They are usually the good roleplayers who cause the least amount of drama and are the most helpful. That's why the staff befriend them in the first place.

We aren't going to promote those we don't get along with as that won't make for a very functional team. That's not to say we ONLY promote those players who we know well on a friend-like basis. I didn't know many of the more recent staff very well but went off their records and what the other staff members had to say. 

Stop using the "omg admins only promote their friends" argument - it's so badly flawed it makes me laugh.

"Stop using the "omg admins only promote their friends" argument"

"You say it as if we ask friends who have never played Fearless before to hop on once and receive a staff position." 

I'm not saying that anyones being biased at all - me 2k15 

I'm not suggesting that at all nor am I saying friends shouldn't be promoted, it makes a lot of sense. What I'm saying is that giving players a voice would be a useful additional tool for electing new staff members and may make the team more aware of candidates outside of their immediate friends. Smile 
The following 1 user Likes Von Tempski's post:
  • James_Gaff
(07-25-2015, 10:31 PM)Nevy Wrote: The problem isn't with the system, it is with the players who make their main goal here to be a staff member.
There isn't this desperate need for more server moderation, as you are saying throughout your thread. The only time there was a need for applications was in the past when there was a huge lack of administrators. Right now the team is the largest it has ever been and there is a limit to how many staff there can be for a number of internal reasons.
Not to mention, it is highly unlikely for someone to be promoted as there is a rigorous process that we take to ensure that the person is someone that is trustworthy, genuine and meets the many other expectations that we have. You say that being the friend of an administrator grants you the benefit and that is incorrect for the most part. While they may be recommended for a position, they still have to go through a review and in most cases turn out to not be fit for the position. It should be apparent that if you don't have any connection to an administrator, your chances of being promoted are close to none. Promotions aren't based solely off of your popularity, RP skills, or how many hours you have in total. 
All in all, don't be here because you want to have power and administrate. Be here because you are here to enjoy the game and roleplay. It's very easy to tell which one a person is here for.
I think you get this whole thread wrong, Nevy.
I have never said or had any intentions to make this thread a hidden "plz make me admin" thread.
This was simply to make is easier to clear up in timezones and make it easier for staff to select the right person for the job, what what do I know, right? All I hear is "good rp, good guy, knows rules" and you're basically moderator.

Please don't come up with things saying that I am back here just to become a moderator, because it does really seem like it. I'm simply trying to make it easier for the staff.
I like how many conflicting sides the admins give.

It seems even they don't know how the process works.
(07-25-2015, 10:57 PM)Mist Wrote: I think you get this whole thread wrong, Nevy.
I have never said or had any intentions to make this thread a hidden "plz make me admin" thread.
This was simply to make is easier to clear up in timezones and make it easier for staff to select the right person for the job, what what do I know, right? All I hear is "good rp, good guy, knows rules" and you're basically moderator.

Please don't come up with things saying that I am back here just to become a moderator, because it does really seem like it. I'm simply trying to make it easier for the staff.

I think you got my whole response wrong, Mist.

I never was speaking directly towards you, I was speaking to the group of players who want an application system because they think it is better than the current system.

Secondly, application systems will not solve the time zone issues. It's a fair point to note but it is already addressed in the current system.

It is also quite silly to say that an application system is going to help us pick the right person, because there is an issue if you have to write a thread on the forums and put in front of the staff members because you haven't been noticed. As I noted though, players should be enjoying the server(s) and not thinking about being in a staff position because the chances are VERY slim. However, if they just act normal and play on the servers like everyone else then they may have a chance someday.
If we allow people to make an application to join our team rather than selecting the best possible candidates internally, we'd be dropping our standards. It's not just being on at the right time but being able to perform effective moderation.
[Image: H9hqjyZ.png]
(07-25-2015, 11:14 PM)Jamster Wrote: I like how many conflicting sides the admins give.

It seems even they don't know how the process works.

Elaborate please.
The following 1 user Likes GeorgeTheBoy's post:
  • Nacreas
(07-25-2015, 09:15 PM)Von Tempski Wrote: The problem with the current system (imo) is that it gives people who are friends with admins a huge advantage. I'm not saying that anyones being biased at all, its just a fact that you are much more likely to be noticed and put forward.

Man you are right... if this was 2013. Truth is it used to be like this quite honestly (in the sake of transparency) but that was because of certain members who were given the power to over-ride the staff/make decisions on their own. AKA the old SAs. It is nothing like this now. Seriously. Like you can be all "yeah whatever Rolorox, oh you are so much better than us" when I say this but.... I am extremely unbias. To the point that I have pissed of a lot of people who thought of me as a "friend" but the truth is I love roleplay, It is a definite passion of mine as well as gaming. I think this server is exceptional and I was here when it started going to shit. Once I finally got the opportunity to be on the team and make a difference, you bet your touche I wanted to make sure it stayed an amazing community. Since I came back from my leave in November I had noticed a great staff come into the fray. I want this to be upheld with future promotions themselves. I am very critical of players and although I give players the benefit of the doubt a lot, I always expect the highest of everyone.

To be honest Mist, it would be nice if the players could have some say or if there was a recommendation system. But trust me when I say we do not look at like 2 players a month for promotion. We have an extensive list of players that have shown the characteristics we not only look for but expect in a staff member. They are always being evaluated. Take me for example, when I got on the team and was able to look back on the threads discussing me, they started mid 2013. I was promoted this past December, obviously I had been inactive a bit but they really try to make sure that not only are you ready for the position but the team all agrees that you meet those characteristics they look for.

I think its good to go into promoting new staff without any doubts they will do well, it is reassuring for not only the team but the players. Knowing we have intelligent, experienced staff that are going to be fair. (at least try to be fair). Everything isn't black and white guys, their is so much grey that most never see.
The following 4 users Like Rolorox's post:
  • TheMJ, SourLemon, Von Tempski, James_Gaff
I truly appreciate threads like these, but this one is not very thought out.

Mist I think your main argument right now is to clear up the time zone issue. Which we've been dealing with this for the last 8 years, I think the conclusion is clear by now. We're not going to promote people based on a time-zone application. Contrary to popular belief, we don't actually have a spreadsheet that says "Vauld - 1:00pm - 2:00pm". We promote people based on our own observations and discussion; not because you fill a time zone slot. As for applications, applications would standardize everyone to the same level, so it would be nearly impossible to choose anyone from the pile of applications. The only thing that would make you stand out would be how you're thought of by the staff team, and now we're back to square one - exactly the system we have now.

And really Jamster? You're going to stir the pot like that. Yes you're right, we actually don't know how the system works. The admins have a huge roulette wheel in the admin room, it's super nice. It has all the players names on it, and we spin it really hard and wherever the ball lands, BAM, ADMIN. So now let's just hope the ball doesn't land on you Smile
The following 4 users Like Vauld's post:
  • Von Tempski, Nacreas, Nexus, Mist
It's very difficult to debate something that in reality, we know nothing about Wink