The staff system
Exclamation 
Hello everybody, it's been a while since I made such a thread like this, but I feel that it's starting to become nessecary.

READ BEFORE POSTING!
I'm by no way butt-hurt over who is admin and who is not, or how the selection process is.
Please don't start a flame war against the staff or me, as it has never been my intention.

As I'm not allowed to make a suggestion regarding this, so I will have to just make a "heads-up", on how things are right now regarding the staff system, and my opinion about it.
[Image: 4a9ca4de64.png]

As I went on yesterday (25-07-2015), no staff but a new moderator was there to take any action, or help the potential of 60+ players which was in need of help. I know that you like to "hand-pick" your staff, and I'm sure that the whole staff team does it with care and a great consideration before doing anything (I suppose the same goes for promotions), but unfortunately I can't understand why you want it that way?

It's quite unfortunate, because it really seems like there's big hole in these timezones. By having applications it would really show who's willing to write an actual application to get into such a position, but instead you choose people because of their roleplay abilities, friendliness, and thinking that they know the rules well.

I have seen and heard a lot of people which will agree with me, that the way the staff is being picked is not really one of the best ways to do it. Instead people with 500+ hours on the servers could have a chance to write their own application, with their own application format, and follow some criteria that there would be set for them. I mean that is dedication, and shows will to help out on the servers. The new staff that there would be, would now have good timezones that would be split out differently. The new staff would have taken a great amount of time into writing their very own application, which again would show their will and dedication, to help out.

I have seen some staff that operates better than others, there's no doubt that there's better people than others, but the way that some can operate, makes me question how that person got in, instead of maybe this person instead. (Not trying to be a dick, but I'm not the only one in here which isn't thinking this, and I know that because a lot of my FL friends agrees).

Summary: What I'm trying to tell is, that by giving players a bit more criteria and requirements for joining the staff, would help a lot, imo. Also by having applications would make it more easy for the staff to see who actually wants to join the ranks of the staff. I hope that I want in-depth enough, if not feel free to comment below, and I will answer it as quickly as possible).

P.S feel free to delete this thread, and send me a PM which will answer my questions.
-support for applications, I like the hand-picked idea already

However, if a random pool of 25 active players were picked to maybe either recommend a player to become moderator or if they were given a selection of different players who they would then answer questions upon to see if they could be suited for the role and the staff team would collate the information and take that into account when choosing the newest moderator?

I think the community should be involved in the decision anyway, seeing as it we play on it, keeping it alive.

EDIT: Just realised this isn't a suggestion...

That's awkward.
(07-25-2015, 01:30 PM)Suarez Wrote: -support for applications, I like the hand-picked idea already

However, if a random pool of 25 active players were picked to maybe either recommend a player to become moderator or if they were given a selection of different players who they would then answer questions upon to see if they could be suited for the role and the staff team would collate the information and take that into account when choosing the newest moderator?

I think the community should be involved in the decision anyway, seeing as it we play on it, keeping it alive.

That's awkward.

Doesn't matter. What you wrote is still something that can be used.
I don't like the idea of having the community to choose between if you should be come mod or not. It's all about good friends then, and tell them to vote for you because they like you. Not a good way to do it.
(07-25-2015, 01:34 PM)Mist Wrote:
(07-25-2015, 01:30 PM)Suarez Wrote: -support for applications, I like the hand-picked idea already

That's awkward.

Doesn't matter. What you wrote is still something that can be used.
I don't like the idea of having the community to choose between if you should be come mod or not. It's all about good friends then, and tell them to vote for you because they like you. Not a good way to do it.

I understand your point and that was something I asked myself, however the players could be set by the admins, a potential 10 new mods each person getting a different person to say things about and if that information got out they could always be punished? So even if you did it with 10 people and they got a different person each and you'd kept a log of who got who, they could be easily punished.
If only you knew the amount of things that is taken into consideration when a player is being promoted.

Writing an application dosent show if they are dedicated or not, its shows they are able to write an application. Anyone can go ahead and do it.
[Image: tumblr_oq4diiJxBR1uo87guo1_500.gif]
The following 3 users Like Decay's post:
  • Blurr, Zecon, Ozzie88
(07-25-2015, 01:51 PM)Ikaros Wrote: If only you knew the amount of things that is taken into consideration when a player is being promoted.

Writing an application dosent show if they are dedicated or not, its shows they are able to write an application. Anyone can go ahead and do it.
So what you're saying is that judging by their "roleplay abilities, friendliness, and thinking that they know the rules well.", is better?

That doesn't really make any sense in my head. If you write a detailed application, telling them what you can bring to the servers and so on, that would be much better. And your argument is just as mine.. Because anyone can go ahead and roleplay, be friendly and act normal without breaking any rules. 
(07-25-2015, 02:24 PM)Mist Wrote:
(07-25-2015, 01:51 PM)Ikaros Wrote: If only you knew the amount of things that is taken into consideration when a player is being promoted.

So what you're saying is that judging by their "roleplay abilities, friendliness, and thinking that they know the rules well.", is better?

That doesn't really make any sense in my head. If you write a detailed application, telling them what you can bring to the servers and so on, that would be much better. And your argument is just as mine.. Because anyone can go ahead and roleplay, be friendly and act normal without breaking any rules. 

Very true, however Roleplay abillities, friendliness and thinking they know the rules.

When a player gets promoted this is not all, the player is being carefully looked into for a long ass time. And when every admin is sertain on a decision a choise is made. If said player then gets promoted the admin team is convinced he/she is the right person for the job, and this reflect on the current team. How many abusing admins to we have? None. ( yes yes there is examples of people that have abused their powers but this is such a rare occurance that its rather an invalid argument)
[Image: tumblr_oq4diiJxBR1uo87guo1_500.gif]
I do kinda see your point about how the server can be at peak population and no admins will be on, we really just need some moderators picked the current way that are very active on their respective servers, hell, maybe if the admin team gets enough new well qualified and ready to work mods they could work em in shifts or some shit. I really don't think applications are a good idea, Iv'e had people who mass RDM with well over 500 hours and they never get punished. I myself don't understand all the rules 100%. They need this long and drawn out examination process to make sure there aren't any bad noodles in the administration. The activity is getting much better then how it was before, its really just a matter of finding people who have the time and the want to do the job.
we are not going to be having applications for staff. we choose who we think is appropriate for the role.... this includes
- RP capability
- Bans
- Activity
- Attitude and personality
To find someone who fits each of these characteristics exceptionally is obviously a very difficult task and hence we have a strict and rigorous process for choosing them therefore applications will not be used. believe me there's people with High RPPS who would make terrible moderators because they have the wrong attitude and people with 3 who would be far better.
[Image: JrWpsNC.png]
I have said my part here.
Yes I understand that they also take their time to look out after that one specific person.
But this could still be done by applications, which would make it even easier for the staff to see who is willing to dedicate themselves to the community by becoming a mod to help out, and then let the best applicants win, and by that you would then say "This player's app is pretty good, let's see how he's doing on the forums and in-game!"
It's just a way better system, imo.