Confidence and the internet?
Question 
So, from the day I started playing Gmod, I lied.

I joined a server, was shunned due to my having(back the ) a high pitched voice so faked that I was 17. Of course my 12 year old self didn't really think that one though and the result was me getting perma-muted on that server. But does this pose an issue?

Oddly enough, this knocked my confidence. Until recently, and sometimes I still do out of habit, I lied about my age. Today I turned 15 and that's really got me thinking. I've told most of you I'm already 15, or even older.

But what of it? So someone lies about their age by a few months? Big deal? Well I think so. This one tiny encounter on that server, that I highly doubt exists anymore, turned me into a liar. Turned me into someone who found it ok to lie about who they were.

But I wanna know what you think. Do you think the internet really can knock someone's confidence to where they feel they need to lie to fit in, or is this a thing someone develops from somewhere else.

I'd like to know what you think.
Server wanted older players. You came to the conclusion that lying was your only option. You knocked your own confidence.
The internet is the one place where people can knock down your confidence regarding things as your voice. In real life I know no one really gives a shit but on the internet it just seems that everyone with a higher pitched voicd is made fun of, even though I highly doubt tehe people doing it are as 'cool' as that jn real life.
In real life and on the internet people can knock down your confidence.

Don't worry about your age.

If you are 12 and you act mature I think you will get more acceptance than if you are 25 and behave like a child.
[Image: get.php?s=STEAM_0:1:15472195&b=9]
Make your own dynamic signature by clicking here.
Remember, your voice is really higher on Internet when you are using a microphone than in real life, because the microphone doesn't pick up the deep part of your voice, which comes from your breast. Sorta like a sub woffer.
Kind Regards,
Floodify
Fearless is a place for everyone to enjoy. The toxic-players that think otherwise won't last long.
[Image: H9hqjyZ.png]
(07-14-2015, 11:18 AM)SoulRipper Wrote: If you are 12 and you act mature I think you will get more acceptance than if you are 25 and behave like a child.
Meh, the sad thing about this is that kids that even act mature are still often treated like an item, despite their maturity (did I use the word "despite" correct?). In the worst case, people take 25 year olds that act like trolls better than kids that are mentally adults, because hey, atleast their voice isn't squeaky and annoying! I've seen that happen just, countless of times. People seem to care more about someone's age or voice than their personality.
i have self control
Fuck what the internet thinks, 70% of it are just people in their moms basements.
Fuck it just do what you want

Just be true to yourself and everyone else, who cares what they think
Most of you probably know by now, I'm significantly younger than the rest of the FL community. 13, to be precise. But as you also know, if you know my age, my voice is a lot deeper than the typical 13 year old. Yesterday, we had a discussion in TS on our ages, something I typically steer clear of discussions like this, but Blurr asked Susliks how old he thought I was. Susliks guessed 16/17. Needless to say, he wasn't right. Age is a piece of shit, your born when your born and it's something you cannot control. People are always surprised when they find out my age, but nothing changes. These people are the ones who know you for who you are not your age.