How to Install A New Cpu :/
Hey Guys,

Basically i need someones help as i am about to Purchase a New Cpu (Amd 1100t Processor To be Exact)
Now basically i've been searching the Web For any help, This may seem stupid but i have no idea what a Bios is :S or how to Install/Clear it.

So if you guys could help me in anyway

Than that would be awesome thanks Cheese
Try making an account and asking on Yahoo Answers, I have had so many questions answered there its unbelievable, so its worth a try.

I get BIOS attacks every fortday, my PC shuts itself off and does a pattern/sequence of beeps and you have to use a BIOS Code List to figure out what the problem is, its actually pretty funny but it means my PC is slowly breaking down Tounge
[Image: source.gif]
I'd like to start off by saying that you need the correct motherboard, not all motherboards have the same CPU Socket.
When you put a new CPU into your PC you have to remove the old one first.
Start off by taking the heatsink off the motherboard, under that you will see the CPU.
Take the metal pin and bent it up so it will 'release' the CPU.
Take out the CPU carefully, do never touch the pins on the CPU.

Now you want to install the new one.

Take the new one and put it into the socket on the motherboard, like you removed the other one.
Secure it in place by putting the metalpin down in its place.
Now you should re-attach the CPU heatsink, there should follow one with your new CPU, you want to use that one.

For more info, look around youtube on how to install a CPU.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLVHFaokdgA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyK-roVdx7c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPU8rDGrK0k

For the BIOS part, im not even going to explain what it is here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BIOS
The following 1 user Likes Fleet Admiral Zapington's post:
  • Ruskin
Let me just start by saying that it isn't as hard as it sounds or looks, honestly. It's just undoing a few heatsink screws and dropping the CPU (VERY GENTLY) into the little hatch, before closing the hatch. Don't worry, closing the hatch takes a bit of force, it's meant to be secure, so do not worry if you feel like you're going to break it - It's tougher than you think, just don't ever touch the pins on the bottom of the CPU, always hold it by the sides.

For the rest of it Gestapo's various guides will work fine.

Oh and also ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS make sure you have a good heatsink and that it is PROPERLY INSTALLED. Not only do you need a heatsink, but you'll need to reapply the THERMAL PASTE, which you'll have to clean off the CPU hatch as you install a new CPU. If you've run out, don't just think "Oh the fan'll do the job fine" BECAUSE IT WON'T. Buy yourself some thermal paste, such as Arctic Cooling MX-4 or Arctic Cooling Silver. They're very cheap, and will keep your CPU cool.

And yes, always make sure that the heatsink is installed properly. Most times if it isn't the computer won't even let you start up, as letting a CPU run uncooled for 10 seconds is enough to permanently damage it, that thing heats fast, so just make sure it's installed right - It isn't hard, just warning you.

Oh and forget about the BIOS, I've never even had to delve into mine.
The following 1 user Likes Faustie's post:
  • boolean
(09-27-2011, 02:14 PM)Faustie Wrote: Not only do you need a heatsink, but you'll need to reapply the THERMAL PASTE, which you'll have to clean off the CPU hatch as you install a new CPU. If you've run out, don't just think "Oh the fan'll do the job fine" BECAUSE IT WON'T. Buy yourself some thermal paste, such as Arctic Cooling MX-4 or Arctic Cooling Silver. They're very cheap, and will keep your CPU cool.

The heatsinks that comes with intel and AMD processors already have applied thermal paste to it, which works fine if you aren't going to overclock the thing.
Ah that's OK then.. I didn't use the Intel one I got with my i5 2500k because they're pretty shocking. They're alright, but don't even attempt to OC them.
My intel cooler which I use on my i7 920 keeps the temp stable at 40-42 celcius on idle, but yerh, never overclock with them. It is a bit noisy tho, and I like a silent PC. Smile
It's not hard, I built my computer myself. however, make sure you get the right type of processor for your motherboard. It needs to be compatible, and a lot of things don't get along with some other things.
[Image: kby7oh.jpg]

Thanks Reliqua (:
Cheers Guys for all your help, it really is going to be useful for me in the future Cheese also yeah the Amd cpu comes with Thermo paste, and I was also thinking about buying a watercooling fan for my cpu so i shouldnt have a problem with the heatsink... I hope :S

Also whats this about metal pins? because i never knew a cpu had those lol!

Oh and i wasnt planing of overclocking because the one i currently got is overclocked and yet everytime i go to play a game prefably made this year, it seems to always overheat.