GMod Lua Codding
Does anyone here where would be the best site/forums/youtube vids be to start lua coding for GMod?
This guy here does the best ones: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVRNwNB...5bR398qilw
He did an old, very long running series starting 4 years ago, episode-by-episode tutorials. He re-started the series from #1 about 4 months ago. You can pick which one you wish to follow.
Now, personal tips from me:
If you have a second monitor, have this open so you can use the searchbar: http://wiki.garrysmod.com/page/Main_Page
Don't bother with notepad++ and making the scripts then putting them in your GMod folder, USE LUAPAD! Go into a singleplayer world and use luapad! If you want to save a script with it, you still can.
Run GMod in Windowed Noborder mode! This means you can easily tab out instantly AND you can interact with second monitor too whilst having the game up.
Dare to differ from tutorials and try your own stuff out, too.
If you have a friend that knows lua, don't be affraid to ask for help. I'm lucky that the bae knows LUA amazingly, and can help me.
Although it can be hard, it's worth learning, don't give up.
A good way of learning is think of something that you want to do, start basic, like a derma window with a button that prints "hi" in the console or something.
Serverside scripts and Clientside scripts are different! They are infact, different in quite a few ways. Most tutorials teach clientside, which is good for addons but if you're wanting to make your own gamemode or server plugins, you need to learn BOTH.
If you need any other help and you don't have anyone to speak to, message me on steam ([TG] OliviaKX) and I'll get in contact with someone.
The following 3 users Like livkx's post:
  • GRiiM, Project, DVN
What's covered in those tutorials isn't a base to start making proper addons. If I were you I would firstly learn LUA and all of its value types, methods and how to use them. If you know LUA it's easier to learn glua (derma's etc). So start learning LUA make something outside gmod and afterwards try gmod.
I always found it easier to pickup the syntax as I went along with tutorials to be honest
You can fish in lua?
www.9gag.com
The following 2 users Like Jan's post:
  • Weecow, HellShell
(05-25-2015, 03:10 PM)LivKX Wrote: I always found it easier to pickup the syntax as I went along with tutorials to be honest

You can know the syntax but if you dont know how and when to apply it, it won't help you. My best advice would be to learn LUA first, and not just the blabla.print stuff but loops, valuetypes etc etc because that's what you're gonna use.
Jan stay in topic please as i really mean that i need to start with a good base.
I'm sorry but I have to totally disagree with what Liv has said. Please, use Notepad++. As much as I love Luapad, if your client crashes and you haven't saved your work then you lose your entire script. It's better to get into the habit of Notepad++, which has far better formatting and is needed for uploading serverside, than getting into using luapad.

One point I do agree with is having http://wiki.garrysmod.com/page/Main_Page open at all times. It's one of the most useful sites you'll ever meet when coding in GMod and it's pretty much the best thing you can have with you. There's also a short starter tutorial series on there which explains how to get Notepad++ setup for GLua.
Kind Regards,
Wood.
The following 1 user Likes Wood's post:
  • builderboy123
Honestly, I learnt from going online, downloading peoples addons and reading them. Read the wiki too, it's a REALLY helpful tool.
Hi.