Meta / Awaiting Update Firefighting Guide
Star 
So you want to fight fire?

Lets start off with the basic of firefighting.

A firefighters job is to respond to the unique emergency demands of a community, whether that means extinguishing a house fire, rescuing a trapped person or animal, responding to medical calls, even rescuing people out in the water, the firefighter of today has many jobs, all of which can be brought into fearless.

Things to know about firefighters:

- They are all either Emergency Medical Technicians or Paramedics, and will respond to medical calls just like an ambulance will, use this to your advantage, if an ambulance gets called out respond to the call as well to assist.

- They are highly active in their communities, I often hear people complain about firefighter being boring, fighting fire isnt the only thing;
    - Go to local businesses and assess their fire safety.
    - Host a fire safety class, teach the community on how to prevent fires.
    - Assist medics on medical calls on whatever they need done, whether it be scene             safety or assessing the patient.

- They are highly trained medical personnel, sometimes as highly trained as medics. Here is some basic medical knowledge.

- First thing to do on scene of any emergency is scene safety, make sure the scene is safe before going in, Put cones down, block the road, plant flares in the dark tunnels, use your big fire engine as a blockade for the scene. Scene safety also includes making sure their is not some crazy criminal with an ak47, That would be an unsafe scene.

RP the injuries out until the medic arrives, assess the patient, 

1st stabilize the neck, you can do this by doing /me holds c-spine (this means you are stabilizing the patients neck to prevent further injury, you can also do /me applies c-collar, which is a collar that looks like this that goes around the neck and secures it.

[Image: dot8.jpg]

Keep the patient stable and rp until the medic can arrive, You can move on after the c-collar is applied and palpate the patient (palpate basically means touch the patient in different spots feeling for soft spots or injuries)

Bandage any injuries and keep the RP alive with cues from the patient.

How to drive the Fire engine.

DRIVE NORMALLY. Do not drive like an idiot or you will be demoted, or even banned. When responding to calls, it is okay to exceed the speed limit if you are using your siren. When approaching a red light while responding to a call, slow to a safe speed, check both directions making sure no cars are coming and you can proceed through the red light. Here is an example.

Remember you are supposed to set an example of safety, if  you dont, you're doing your job wrong and should probably go play on evo-rp or something.

Station Life:

Firefighting do not always have to be at the station, whether out getting food, or scoping out buildings and businesses their is no reason to be trapped at the station, but if you are at the station remember these key things:

A fire station is a welcome place, allow visitors, offer ride alongs, or tours of the station, a fire station should always be a safe place for citizens.

Make beds, a living area, a kitchen, a fire station is basically a home since firefighters are their on a 24 hour basis. Make it homey.

Keep your engine ready to go, parked sideways away from the door is not a good place, make sure if you get a call you can respond quickly and waste no time.

Host events at the fire station, these can be fire safety demonstrations, charity work, or tours, welcome people inside.

CLOSE UP WHEN LEAVING FOR A CALL. Do not leave your station wide open for people to wander in when you're out on a call.

How to deal with fires.

Fires are quite dangerous, and pretty hot, so keep your distance, and spray your extinguisher from a safe area. Your extinguisher will spray a foam stream capable of completely extinguishing the fire. For general knowledge, each fire extinguisher is based on what type of fire it can handle, they will all be marked.

A = basic wood and paper fires

B = Liquid Fires

C = electrical fires

D = Metals

Most extinguishers are ABC

- Keep people away from the fire while extinguishing it, remind police officers shooting the fire doesn't help.

Remember that life goes before property, that means worry about the hurt person over the burning trash can.

Keep all these points in mind and you're sure to be a great firefighter.
The following 4 users Like TheAwesomeAuston's post:
  • Tmdirtbike, jqnqthqn, SirWulf, SourLemon
Very nice, good work!

Sincerely,
ArcHammer
[Image: LkB62ld.png]

+Rep
I like it. More people need to pay attention to this. It is a frustration when I respond to a call and start setting up hazard cones and the public starts cussing me out that I'm not doing my job and putting out the fire immediately.

It is also a great point that there is more to the job then just fires.

Great guide.
Fighting fires so you don't have to.

[Image: get.php?s=STEAM_0:1:5102768&b=13]
Very nicley done!
Why was that fire car yellow?

My dad is a firefighter and all he does is sit at the station, watch tv, and make fun of the police officers.
(01-13-2015, 02:01 AM)DanManC467 Wrote: Why was that fire car yellow?

My dad is a firefighter and all he does is sit at the station, watch tv, and make fun of the police officers.

Fire vehicles tend to have a wide range of colours. Black, green, etc, blue.

Usually a lighter colour is used in areas of extreme heat, as it reflects it off the engine.
Nuka
Modelling/Texturing Contributor
(01-16-2015, 07:58 PM)Nuka Wrote:

I have yellow fire engines and it was -40 degrees Fahrenheit here last week.

Usually a lighter colour is used in areas of extreme heat, as it reflects it off the engine.
(01-16-2015, 07:58 PM)Nuka Wrote:

Im sorry but thats not really correct, Fire Engines where originally red because when fire departments first started forming red was a royal color, and firefighting was part of royalty. Colors like yellow for example are being used because its the most visible during all parts of the day, a red fire engine can tend to blend in when the sun is setting or rising because of the red cast the sun makes, Yellow is a popular color because its most visible during all parts of the day.
This really helps, I see the firefighter position normally with 0/3 and it upsets me because me and my friends used to be firemen and paramedics and cruise around. Fun job and not stressful as opposed to mafia or rebel. Good to see someone keeping the department real. Fighting fire with fun.
You sir, are an awesome guy. This is excellent.