Parents & Videogames... (Or spending time online)
(12-29-2014, 11:17 AM)Dauntless Wrote: *sigh My parents aren't religious, but they wont let me play any games that are 18's or have guns in them (They allow Halo, tho #logic). They both don't play games and are strong atheists. The reason for these is probably because of my mother, she works for Human Wrights with Ireland, Tanzania and the UN. She told me that she has been to villages were kids are dying of hunger, holding on to there siblings bodies and are refugees from war countries. She just strongly disagrees with violent games etc. For those reasons. Thankfully they let me do whatever I want on my pc, its mainly my xbox that they restrict.

Technically you're lucky, A lot of Ireland is Catholic and mainly your mum has a point but just say that these games never hurt my mind and that i am grateful for what I'm given.
Kind Regards Chocolate Labrador

The following 1 user Likes Labrador's post:
  • Dauntless
My parents are religious but I am allowed to play what I want, they just don't want me to spend too much time on the PC which is understandable.
My parents don't really care which games I play, they just don't want me to spend too much time playing games and on the computer in general. They rarely have to mention that anyway, since I look up how long I have been on the computer. And if they tell me to get off it, I never refuse to do so.

My mom doesn't play video games at all, and my dad rarely plays simulation/competetive games.
i have self control
Well I had a period when my grades weren't that good and I spent a lot of time online... My parents weren't that happy... Let's keep it that way...
The major problem is that parents have no actual idea what kind of things you are doing. My English teacher organises conferences where parents can hear about the games that are out there and what the consequences are of playing these games. A lot of parents think that their 12 year old kid is only playing shooting games and that he becomes aggressive from those games. That is not always true. For example CityRP. It is not all about shooting, fighting etc. It is about creativity: Because of the roleplay! Kids think about what they do and why they are doing that. Also the online world is the best place to learn your English and it is much nicer than sitting in a classroom, isn't? Gaming is relaxing, fun and a great place to learn. The only thing you have to avoid is the time you're spending on the PC, Xbox or PS2/3/4. Three hours a day is enough. When you are healthy and can handle the gaming time it is all fine, also for the parents.

Kind Regards,
MrTreeGames
[Image: MrTreeGames-Signature.gif]

Give green to Tree
                                                               signature by Nyander
My parents are as bad as me, my Father plays literally anything he won't be good but he'll play it (he's pretty good at Titanfall though) and my Mother sticks to retro games (Sonic/Mario basically any SEGA game which was made in the 90's) or she'll play games on her phone (bubblewitch 2 >.>) and yes they're religious but they don't mind me playing anything but I used to get the small whine about being indoors a lot but since I got a job - I never hear it anymore.
My parents didn't let me play anything over a 12 until I was 13 then I was allowed 18s when I got to 14/15

Looking back on it I agree with them, they held off until I could actually understand what I was doing and appeappreciate it for what the subject matter was.

Now I'm sixteen my mum gives zero fucks about what I play, although my dad still views Lego star wars as violent...
[Image: JrWpsNC.png]
The following 1 user Likes Barkles's post:
  • EthanArcher
My parents have never really been concerned about what I watch/play. I guess it's because I used to watch my brother play GTA when I was 7-8 so I was used to seeing that sort of content. Although I was raised catholic, a lot of my family (brother, mother, myself) aren't religious so that didn't stop me having access to certain games.

My dad used to play video games with my brother and myself when we were younger but he doesn't really any more. Although he still plays some Miniclip games. My mother doesn't really play games except for on her phone.
So, it all started when my mum bought GTA 4 for the Xbox, and she said if I found it, I could keep it, so I found it on a cabinet. I played COD WAW at the time and really that is all I played, cause my mum didn't care, as I was, (and still am), mature. From then, my friends got GTA 4 for their white xboxes and we all played on Free Mode, and to be honest, after that, I could play whatever I wanted to.
- Conn
Nowadays i am allowed to play anything i want for so long as i want and i have own computer in my own room. im 14 btw. When i was younger i wasn't allowed to buy 16 or 18 games and had a playing time, which we argued alot about and it wasn't very fun. Then i reached puberty and started to run away from my home for a few hours and for examble going to my friend to play for the whole day if i thought my parents were being unfair and that way eventually i started playing more and more and the we stopped arguing about the playing time and age restrictions because i played as much as i wanted and what i wanted. This may sound stupid and childish for me to do and all, but the fact is, we are all happier now, we don't argue and all my grades are going up. My parents have never played anything or use a computer for anything else than work. This text was made in a rush and looks very unfinished sorry.

*Sorry for my horrible english, grammar, spelling and everything*
Only time my parents ever told me I couldn't play a game was when I was 9 or 10 years old and I was playing Deus Ex multiplayer. They didn't really like it that I had become friends with some of the strangers on there and threw away the game disc.
I retaliated by scribbling on my dad's Shogun: Total War disc with a permanent marker.

Funnily enough I'd been allowed to play games such as GTA for years before that.
The following 1 user Likes GRiiM's post:
  • Suarez