Optimizing records with fraps and VLC
In this thread I will explain you how to reduce the filesize of your recording massively while reducing the quality just a tiny bit.

Professional movies also use this technique. If they wouldn't their movies would be like 200GB in size.

In my example I made a quick recording on the server just walking around, the video was only 16 seconds long and 117MB(!) even when Fraps was optimized. With the help of VLC I managed to reduce the size to 5.4MB with loosing maybe a few percentage of quality. Now isn't that amazing?

For people with slow internet it's amazing. Uploading 117MB would takes me around an hour or more to upload, while 5MB is a matter of minutes.

Here's how to do it:

Step 1: Optimize fraps
Let's start with optimizing fraps. Out of the box fraps is way too high configured. I use the settings below:

[Image: 48412dc762.jpg]

Notice the low Video Capture rate. Only 25 FPS. The human eye can not see the difference between 25 FPS and 60 FPS or higher when watching a movie, that's why all cinema movies are only having 25 frames per minute. When you are gaming FPS does matter since you notice time between your mouse action and the screen, but we're making a movie here and the viewer only watches. There's no point in setting the FPS higher as that will only increase the movie size.
I've also set the size to Half-size. If you want to record in full HD you should use the Full-size option, but for ban requests the half-size is just fine.

Step 2: Convert the movie to MP4 H.264 + MP3

When you have recorded the video. Open the video with VLC.

Now go to Media -> Convert / Save...

[Image: 1655920718.jpg]

Then press the Add... button and add the movie you want to optimize. Then press on the button: Convert / Save

[Image: f715292100.png]

Now select the destination of the file and call it to the name of your movie, make sure to include .mp4 at the end.
So for example rulebreak_v2d.mp4.

Then select at Profile 'Video - H.264 + MP3 (MP4)
This means it will code the video to H264 and makes the audio MP3.

[Image: b3a7448716.png]

To finish press Start and wait for VLC to play the movie while it converts it. It's normal that it's a black screen and you only see the progress at the time bar.

Step 3: Upload video

Your video is optimized now (the file will be saved to the place you choose earlier) and is ready to be uploaded at your favorite movie sharing website.
[Image: get.php?s=STEAM_0:1:15472195&b=9]
Make your own dynamic signature by clicking here.
The following 1 user Likes SoulRipper's post:
  • ArcHammer
I'm sure this'll help a lot of people who need to record BRs.

Cheers!
Kind Regards,
Wood.
Nice.
[Image: 60e0d10cb7aa2d87b0dbbf25564f8dca.png]
dig

Musician, Ex-Administrator
A bit outdated and broken media. Moving to archive.
[Image: 8TTYBHM.png]