How to President
Hey there, I'm Oobrie. Or Panzer, whichever you prefer.
The government is, like the Corleones and Rebels, it's own faction. Like every faction, it has a purpose, rules and occupations to roleplay as. The head of the government is -believe it or not- The President.
A lot of people think the President is the most important player in the game at all times. This is rarely true.
The player occupying the President slot is only as important as realistically as he roleplays, funnily enough. People are always more likely to join your government if you are a great roleplayer with the President slot and, of course, 'good' presidents are rare.

So let's start. You've won that spam button war to become President in the 50/50 server, now what?
Now, you write your laws and of course, throw in some promises. Some policies to keep your job interesting. Personally, I like to choose my policies and laws based off of an actual political party that can vary dependant on the way I want to roleplay. For instance, let's say you wanted to roleplay in the style of the United Kingdom Independence Party.
"/broadcast Good Afternoon, EvoCity! I am your newly chosen Prime Minister, Figel Narraje! Before I bore you with laws and stun you with tax, let me tell you a little about how we're going to see a change. For the better."
Addressing your City and using positive language is always a good idea. Keywords there such as laws, tax and change keeps the citizens reading. You would then announce your policies. Taking inspiration from the UKIP party, you'd probaly want stricter borders, more lenient weapon laws and lower tax:
"It doesn't take the SRU to see that most of the criminals infesting our society come from OUTWITH the city limits, the cowards preferring to hide in the dense outback of our nation. It's clear what we must do. A checkpoint will be set up to deter and catch criminals trying to escape/infiltrate the city."
Would be an example of your policies. 

Great, you have your realistic laws and policies, people are starting to join your government and you're making decent money from the low tax you've set in accordance to your inspired party. Now what?

People are bound to have ideas on how they  think your laws should affect them. You should make it clear through quite frequent broadcasts that you are free for meetings, open to letters (/pm) and even walk around the city now and again, meeting citizens and visiting local businesses. This will skyrocket your popularity as a leader and people will begin to notice the effort you're putting in, leaving you less vulnerable to a raid. This is a good thing to have, as in future, you may have to do something as drastic as ban a faction or cars, which leaves you open to raids. No good Roleplayer wants to murder a well played president. Always make updates to your laws, answer warrants as quickly as possible and try to keep any Security organisations/clans as far away from the roles of your government staff as possible. This will keep your Police, SRU etc. happy and keep you with a high Government number.

Speaking of Security, let us just cover this point quickly. 

Security is good, considering it's one or two guards who are constantly by your side. They do not get involved with the government, they are simply there to protect you. However, doing something like bringing your clan to act as a secondary government is VERY unpopular and is likely to lead to raids, protests and riots due to the simple fact that the same rules that apply to the Police job do not apply to the clan members. Defences in the nexus are always good to have, regardless of the public's disposition to you because unfortunately, there's always one player who just wants to lolraid the president.
TL;DR
Base your laws off of real-world parties.
Make interesting, realistic policies.
Encourage local businesses/passiveRPs through broadcasts, etc.
Accept as much meetings as possible.
Do not go OTT with security.
Keep your government as happy as the citizens.
Edit - Have your babby paragraphs, babbymen.
Looks nice. Paragraphs maybe?
Paragraph is for babby.
Damn, you got this into the guide section real fast.

But, please, use paragraphs!

Guide will come in handy for newcomers though, nice job.