Homophobia.
well, recently, on the internet, I see a lot of homophobia. Normally from younger users, not just on FL, but sometimes from older and more mature users. In particular, I see the word fa**ot thrown around a lot and I kinda wanna know what you think. This post is a little shorter than I planned for it to be, but Im on my phone, so gimme some slack Wink.But yeah. I just wanna know your opinion. Is it just the context in which the word that makes it homophobic, or is it just the power put behind the word that makes it homophobic?
For me it's about in the context you use the word in, for example, black people tend to use the phrase 'Whats up N*gger'  just to say like 'Whats up man?' if someone comes up and says to them 'Go to hell you n*gger' then obviously that has a whole different meaning, my point is, i don't think the use of the word f*ggot should be seen as homophobic as long as it's not used against other gay people. It would not be homophobic to me if someone says 'Stop being a f*ggot man', but if someone says something that is directly supposed to be offensive to gay people, like 'F*ggots are disgusting' then it that would be homophobic to me IMO.
I can honestly say i'm not homophobic but some of my mates at school are without doubt, i think it's all a matter of education, and if the family who raised you is religious or just plain homophobic, it is more likely for you to change your attitude in a bad way towards gay people.
Yours sincerely,
Tandy
Fearless Member
The following 3 users Like Tandy's post:
  • GRiiM, James_Gaff, Chumps
I find that word disgusting and highly insulting no matter what way and sentence it is used it.

During my younger years while I still went to school, i heard that word everyday.
Either from someone whispering it to others while I passed, or yelled at me.
And every now and then, i'd hear that word in a sentence while people were threatning to kill me,
or while they for physically bullying me.

So I'll say again. I find that word disgusting, no matter what.
I think the meaning of the word really faded after all those years, I believe it's not really meant as homophobic nowadays. So in my opinion, it isn't really offensive to me.
The following 2 users Like Victorinox's post:
  • Tandy, James_Gaff
The diffrence between a joke and straight up being rude is hard to decide when you speak to random people over the internet.
If my freind from class ect. Called me a fa***t i would call him a sl*t and laugh.

Now when it's getting used for the actually meaning of the term then i can be easily offended. Just because you're homophobic doesnt it quiet mean that you need to be pointed out by a "f*ck you i hate homophoes" by saying the word fa***t.

I fell exactly the same by the word n***a. Just can't take it. Either way thats my opinion.

I don't want to be the guy who stops the show when my friends are drunk. Of course i still have something against the word itself. There is just not much for me to do in such situtaions.
The following 3 users Like Sgtbender2000's post:
  • Ted, GRiiM, Jonesy
not offensive
I don't think any form of bullying should be tolerated.

NO ONE should have to go through things like that, everyone is different. We all are special in our own way. No one can take that from us. I literally hate to see when people get bullied or harassed. I honestly have almost no tolerance for things like that. Sometimes I wonder, why can't everyone just not use words like that and be nice to each other.
The following 2 users Like Preditor's post:
  • James_Gaff, Tmdirtbike
I don't find '***' offensive all the time. I mean, give this guy a break.
[Image: ***.jpg]

On a more serious note, I do agree that it all depends on the context, and the intention of the word.
I don't think I've called my best friend her actual name in the past year. It's always "bitch".
But we do it cuz we care.

If there is an intention to hurt someone with the word, then it's not acceptable.
Remember kids:
Guns don't kill people, people kill people.
Same with words.

The following 2 users Like Safira's post:
  • Bowiii, James_Gaff
I personally don't find any words offensive as such. Even though I completely understand why some people find these words offensive.
[Image: get.php?s=STEAM_0:1:40601685&b=10]
The following 2 users Like equal's post:
  • GRiiM, Nevy