How "Newcomers" Should be treated. :)!
When I started off as a 0 hour "Newbie", the first thing I done was go as a medic (didn't even read the rules). I got called a stupid f*ggot for spawning an ambulance as a zero hour and not knowing how to unlock it. About a month later I tried that again and one of the admins at the time was a little more helpful. Eventually, I was going around doing RP then ofcourse I didn't read the rules. I was banned shortly after for a minor proppush (which I regret). Didn't bother with UBR after I registered as I read the rules for unban. Read the ingame rules straight after.

I would say that some of the new players can be passive Roleplayers and not propsmashing minges. I done some good Roleplay the other day with a 6 hour person. I think he got his first RPP after I disconnected. I will also add someone with 5 hours got a RPP for an extremely organised KFC RP. I was there, new players can make as much of an impact as old ones. I will argue that some players aren't ready for extreme Roleplay scenarios yet, but a little guidance will get them far in Fearless.
The following 2 users Like NotSep's post:
  • Bowiii, actor
I mean I think most high hour players, a lot of admins I know would agree. Respect low hour players. I am always nice and make sure I am there if anyone calls for help. Especially when it comes to breaking rules. I usually don't report low hour players, I either try to teach them/talk to them so they understand the rule they broke. Or ask an admin to do so. Ban's don't teach people. But at some point there has to be a threshold where you know that there are rules and should have read them. Many instances from the first time you log on, to the first time you post on the forums, you are told that there are rules to follow which can be easily accessed and read from the F1 menu or on the site itself. Don't take it personally if people treat you bad, its their problem. We are a community and we will look out for eachother. As someone with quite a bit of hours and roleplay experience you can always come to me, whether you have questions or if someone is harassing you/just being rude. Most other players would offer the same.

TL: DR We are a family, and we should treat each other better. But not everyone respects that. Just remember that their are some people that do, and we will help you anytime you need it.
The following 1 user Likes Rolorox's post:
  • Floodify
What is important to remember is that everyone has been a noobie with no friends, hours or RP points.

When I came to FL, I was also new to GMOD and had no idea how to even spawn a prop. I met people who taught me everything, about RP, building and etc and I'm now an admin.

We cannot simply loose potential awesome people just because they are new and we don't want to give them a chance. Including someone means they'll have a chance to learn, build experience and have fun.

In the end, it's that last word "fun" which is the most important.
Sincerely, Enzyme
Ex-Supervising Administrator
The following 1 user Likes Enzyme's post:
  • Bowiii
Well, I could understand the frustration with many "experienced" players on FL. With the whole new launch of Gmod 13, a lot of new people to Gmod has joined the various servers and one of them being us due to the fact that we are hosting a rather big gamemode. This causes people that hasn't really played too much other RPG games or gamemodes is getting confused what RP is really about. It is very easy to confuse gmod with games like CSS due to the fact that it is an game inspired and is containing content from other games. The majority of the playerbase of Gmod isn't too mature, which could be understandable due to the fact that it is a very cheap game and it has certain "childish" sides of it, that even I admit is pretty fun. Such thing could be the ragdolls which you can transform to almost anything. It it sometimes hard to know where the limit is, because really, there are almost no limit of what you can do in gmod as a player (else than the fact that there are rules to follow etc..)

What I am saying is, after 1000 hours you have seen pretty much and automatically a pretty huge playerbase creates its own picture of "new" players. Which is undoubtedly not ok due to the fact that people are not the same. But I must say, some of us are underrating the new players. Some can be clever, and throughout my almost 1300 hours I can say that it is a big quantity of new players that knows how to roleplay. Fortunately, it is a semi-serious gamemode which gives the opportunity for the new player to play without /me and /it and thus can learn such things during their time here.

I do agree on that we have to shape up when it comes to newcomers. We ought to help the players, but the players do in fact hold a responsibility and that is the rules. Sure, it might be tough sometimes when it comes to rules that is not so specified, and those are the things that we need to help the new players with. The very first sentences on the rule page states that FL wants to create a real-life society, so thus you must RP like you would in the real life. It may be tricky, but it is something that everyone has to take responsibility for.

We all have been new, and I know the feeling of not being sure of what to do when it comes /me and /it when you are new. But I must admit, I was welcomed to a fairly friendly community and server when I arrived. The server did make sure to help me out and I have learned extremely much during my time here. But agreed, we ought to be more supportive.

Oh and... it is somewhat a social norm that you do not get "recognized" as much when you are new. It is not always right, but even in the real life society you do not get as much attention as you would if you had achieved great wealth (wealth in cityrp=hours) and such. It is understandable, but not totally right of course. It is important to get friends on the community and the server and make sure you are a good fella, because without friends you are very limited. It is sad truth about everything when it comes to life. We are humans and very many people is going with the flow.

If you need help with anything regarding the rules, RPs or such thing, be sure to hit me up on PM. I am happy to help you out.
Kind Regards,
Floodify
The following 1 user Likes Floodify's post:
  • actor
(04-06-2014, 11:12 PM)Rule 34 Wrote:
(04-06-2014, 11:00 PM)Jan Wrote: I have not ever in my playtime on Fearless seen a player with low hours getting yelled at by other people..

Jan, he's trying to something good. Try to be nice to him, he's not causing harm - he's doing the opposite of that. He's trying to make the server a better place, and you're just putting him down. Try making a supportive comment next time, this thread is no place for negativity.

I'm not negative about anything at all. If you can't handle my opinion don't reply or ignore it.
The following 1 user Likes Jan's post:
  • Bowiii
Whilst I agree with some points stated, and that new arrivals to Fearless should be helped, there are points I cannot agree with nor relate to. As well as these individuals are to be assisted, in my opinion they should not be held hand in hand, a good starting touch from an individual who speaks words of experience without it being in an elitist manner, can make a huge impact and influentially help a user.

You earn your recognition, meaning if you're violating our rules from point one you come on without bothering to read and get around with respect for our regulations, I don't see the benefit in any way. On the other hand, if you're an individual who takes his time from point one that you join, to read the regulations that are provided to you, it changes the image completely. If you respect the community, its ways, rules, regulations and components, you will have absolutely no problems with getting around just fine, and if you stay on the bright side of the rules, roleplay and be respectful, I assure you someone will notice it. However, it is what you make it and (personally) my view on new players come from the first point I come across them administratively, not from a personal standpoint, if they make trouble and violate our rules and regulations, that's when they're notice and recognized as rule-breakers, the other way around positively for individuals who do the opposite.

Everyone has a responsibility to include new players in the community; be it nicely greeting them, advising them, including them in your affairs, or simply talking to them - everyone has their own ways. Although, it's important to give it and state that it's not all about newcomers and rookies, we have players with above 100 hours, above 1000 hours, all of those need to be included as well as newcomers.

Welcoming a user to the community doesn't have to be formal and determined on targetting, if a newcomer simply makes a topic introducing himself, you will quickly see welcoming steaming in, there's no excessive necessity to pinpoint new players and comment around, however it's a nice gesture.

Respect one another & the community and its contents.
The following 3 users Like Narc's post:
  • Floodify, Iraqi Eagle, actor
Thanks for reading, and thanks too the admin for answering on a polite way. I respect your opinions, and will not even disagree with what you're saying, cause of experiences you have, and what i do not.

- Thanks for reading and understand!

PS. I am not trying too hit on the Community at all. As i told SoulRipper before, i love this Community!

(04-07-2014, 08:41 AM)myfloodify Wrote: Well, I could understand the frustration with many "experienced" players on FL. With the whole new launch of Gmod 13, a lot of new people to Gmod has joined the various servers and one of them being us due to the fact that we are hosting a rather big gamemode. This causes people that hasn't really played too much other RPG games or gamemodes is getting confused what RP is really about. It is very easy to confuse gmod with games like CSS due to the fact that it is an game inspired and is containing content from other games. The majority of the playerbase of Gmod isn't too mature, which could be understandable due to the fact that it is a very cheap game and it has certain "childish" sides of it, that even I admit is pretty fun. Such thing could be the ragdolls which you can transform to almost anything. It it sometimes hard to know where the limit is, because really, there are almost no limit of what you can do in gmod as a player (else than the fact that there are rules to follow etc..)

What I am saying is, after 1000 hours you have seen pretty much and automatically a pretty huge playerbase creates its own picture of "new" players. Which is undoubtedly not ok due to the fact that people are not the same. But I must say, some of us are underrating the new players. Some can be clever, and throughout my almost 1300 hours I can say that it is a big quantity of new players that knows how to roleplay. Fortunately, it is a semi-serious gamemode which gives the opportunity for the new player to play without /me and /it and thus can learn such things during their time here.

I do agree on that we have to shape up when it comes to newcomers. We ought to help the players, but the players do in fact hold a responsibility and that is the rules. Sure, it might be tough sometimes when it comes to rules that is not so specified, and those are the things that we need to help the new players with. The very first sentences on the rule page states that FL wants to create a real-life society, so thus you must RP like you would in the real life. It may be tricky, but it is something that everyone has to take responsibility for.

We all have been new, and I know the feeling of not being sure of what to do when it comes /me and /it when you are new. But I must admit, I was welcomed to a fairly friendly community and server when I arrived. The server did make sure to help me out and I have learned extremely much during my time here. But agreed, we ought to be more supportive.

Oh and... it is somewhat a social norm that you do not get "recognized" as much when you are new. It is not always right, but even in the real life society you do not get as much attention as you would if you had achieved great wealth (wealth in cityrp=hours) and such. It is understandable, but not totally right of course. It is important to get friends on the community and the server and make sure you are a good fella, because without friends you are very limited. It is sad truth about everything when it comes to life. We are humans and very many people is going with the flow.

If you need help with anything regarding the rules, RPs or such thing, be sure to hit me up on PM. I am happy to help you out.

I am speechless.. Just wow..
The amount of spelling errors in this thread is giving me a dose of instant-dyslexia.
Would you please take the time to rectify the errors, because a post which contains a high amount of spelling errors is much less likely to be taken seriously by anyone.

The pre-made welcome message for all the newcomers is ofcourse a very convenient way to welcome all of them, however it's really unpersonal. To add on top, people are more likely to think that you're a 10 year old kid, because of that spelling, which in turn might shed a bad light on the community.
What I'm getting at is the following, you're welcoming people by a pre-made message which contains spelling errors, you hope you make them feel welcome, but they might just because of this miss the feel train.
[Image: feels-train.jpg]

I also wish to point out that this thread really does not belong in this section, nor should it have been made by you.
You have no autority over me or anyone in this community, thus your message is more likely to be in vain.
The section this should be in, would probably be the H&S (Help & Support) section of the forums, where an administrator could then (if deemed necessary) make this thread "sticky", but ofcourse as mentioned earlier, your grammar is not sufficiently developed for it to ever have that chance to grow.

I must say that I have conflicted feelings about helping the new playerbase, this being due to the fact that most of them are ignorant 10 year olds with a "press to distress" mentality. Yes, they press random buttons and drag around their mouse in pitiful attempts to cause disarray on the server, many times being succesful in sparking the minge in just about everyone. As this happens, every regard for server rules seems to disappear into thin air, the times when your average Joe turns into a minge slayer, breaking server rules to stop the mayhem.

New people, in my opinion, should be helped only if they "prove" to be "pure of heart" and without malicious intentions.
For example:
Player A is new to Fearless RP and does not read the rules, then he continues on breaking them, getting banned by Admin X.

Player A should not get any leniency for being new, but infact should be punished due to ignorance of server rules.
[Image: xk6wnyd.jpg]
Player B is also a new player, who read the server rules and somewhat remembered them. He then sends an @ message or asks for assistance in OOC when ever he's in doubt or something is unclear.

Player B is a good kid, he showed that he wanted to learn and should he accidentally break a rule, no one who knows him will instantly think he's demonspawn here to wreak havoc.
[Image: u7SRoLg.jpg]

Salinsky out.

[Image: 16yGUMF.jpg]
The following 3 users Like Salinsky's post:
  • Jan, Eisenhorn, Bowiii
[Image: Son-i-am-proud.jpg]
The following 2 users Like Jan's post:
  • Salinsky, Bowiii