New Polish Light Tank: PL-01
I can't write much about this New Light Tank (PL-01) at the moment because is a new project and there is no much informations about it.
So I prefer to post here some videos:
http://youtu.be/-_TPzN1s9FQ
http://youtu.be/BosrrA4Ie10
http://youtu.be/8XPkz1o6t98
[Image: image.png]
Doctor KuLa
Always Drunk
Woah, Poland are getting on the ball.
That a funky barrel
Very nice looking design, there's a few issues I can see with it however, from a survivability perspective, i'm sure those will be ironed out when it's finished.

Firstly the turret; I presume it has an auto-loader due to the reduced size. If you closely look at the point where the turret is mounted to the hull, it looks good nice slope to the design, however this is a major danger to the crew. By angling downwards it creates a chance for the shell to deflect downwards, the gap also serves as a massive 'shell trap'. What happens in a shell trap is that a round, rocket, or tank shell, becomes stuck in said gap, preventing the traverse of the turret.

Secondly the tracks; they are very narrow, you might wonder why this is a problem, the amount of ground coverage the tank has, affects it's performance, it's climbing ability, and it's ability to rotate on the spot. Also smaller link pins (all tracks are bolted together with pins) means a higher chance of sheerage, and a mobility kill is fatal for a tank.

Onto the pluses with this design then.

The armour; whilst no specs are released yet, it looks like is has some form of spaced or reactive armour mounted over the hull, just look at that side over hang, and the nice slab on the front, that's some thick armour, should help increase survivability against HEAT rounds.

The barrel; it's a weird design that's for sure, i'm wondering if the angular surfaces is to help with reducing the tanks vulnerability to helicopter gunships and radar, and to provide a nice mounting point for BAE's thermal camo plates.

Spoiler: thermal camo

The big blocky bit you can see, looks to me like an extractor housing, that is the component that removes gun gases from inside the turret, a must for NBC warfare and being nice to the crew. Not sure why it has a muzzle break on it however, maybe to cope with the recoil, the gun looks like it could be recoil assisted in some form.

The optics; very nice mixture there, we have a gunners sight next to the barrel, looks like it has thermal and daysight, due to the mounting i'd guess it's gyroscopically stabilised, so the gunner doesn't need to adjust for lead.
The commander has a nice set of optics too definately some FLIR capability in there, nice all round vision for him with a few obstructions.

Remote operated weapons station; love these things, a nice remote controlled gun system for the commander, gives him some extra eyes (visibility is key to survival) and allows him to engage dismounted threats safely.

Looks like it might take after the Merkava in mounting the engine in the front, as it looks like there's some kind of escape hatch in the rear, then there's the modular package for the turret, with what looks like 360degree smoke launchers.

In short if Poland gets this working, and iron out the few issues I could see, it'll be one hell of a sweet tank.

Overall very nice tank.

Thanks for sharing Kula.
Appealing if I must say so myself.
Li-LIGHT? That things a fucking behemoth!
Ok so i've done some digging on this tank, browsed a few forums I know of, and asked a few questions. The result is i've managed to pull the technical specifications of this tank!

Tech data for PL01 Concept tank

You can find it there. All I can say is i'm impressed, even if it's a concept, unmanned turret, under 40tons (similar weight to the T-90 tank) good off road ability, damn Poland you are making one hell of a tank, correction one hell of a stealth tank.

You can thank me later for getting the specs Kula ^^
Looks pretty sweet. Whilst browsing facepunch I also saw a thread about possible new Russian tanks - this might be a leaked image though nothing is certain:

[Image: 1jFxCyB.jpgp]
That PL-01 looks better than the russia tanks. Because Poland got ballz.
The following 1 user Likes DarkN00b's post:
  • Doctor KuLa
Russian tank orange.
Why is it orange.