Military schooling and subjects
Question 
Hello, I have been interested in joining the Canadian Armed Forces for as long as I could remember, what I was wondering is what should I be taking in high school, I know that there is Military colleges and stuff like that for post secondary but for high school I have no idea what I should be taking if I want in to a military post secondary, Infantry is my main job that i would like to have, so I'm thinking advanced math and English I'm in grade 10 currently. Anyone with insight to the military topic I would love if you could help me out.

Thanks in advance.
Well, I don't like to boast but I'm pretty badass at Battlefield 3 so I know a thing or two about army training.

You're going to need good grades in Maths and English. Also, it'll be worth while taking P.E (Sports) as a subject as it'll show that you're fit.

Best thing to do though is show determination and team work. That's what will matter in a war zone, not what grades you got.
The following 1 user Likes GeorgeTheBoy's post:
  • Swifte
(01-13-2013, 04:38 PM)GeorgeTheBoy Wrote: Well, I don't like to boast but I'm pretty badass at Battlefield 3 so I know a thing or two about army training.

You're going to need good grades in Maths and English. Also, it'll be worth while taking P.E (Sports) as a subject as it'll show that you're fit.

Best thing to do though is show determination and team work. That's what will matter in a war zone, not what grades you got.

Thanks for the tips and information, be sure to note that.
(01-13-2013, 05:42 PM)Swifte Wrote:
(01-13-2013, 04:38 PM)GeorgeTheBoy Wrote: Well, I don't like to boast but I'm pretty badass at Battlefield 3 so I know a thing or two about army training.

Thanks for the tips and information, be sure to note that.

As an infantryman you need high grades? Are you high? In Britain you don't even need grades to join the infantry, however you have to pass basic IQ tests and training involving teamwork and fitness. If you want to go into the army work on your fitness and co-ordination.
I'd advised against infantry ( you don't get a lot out of it.) But if your heart is set on it:
You don't need qualifications to join as an infanteer. You just need to achieve the minimum score on the military intelligence tests you'll be given. Secondly, fitness. Fitness fitness fitness. This is the biggest thing you need to join the infantry and you've got to be good at it. I'm not sure about the canadian entry requirements but for the british army it's:
- 1.5 mile run in 10 minutes thirty or under.
- 40 pushups in under 2 minutes.
- 50/60 situps in under 2 minutes.
- Pullups (not sure of amount) in under 2 minutes.
Teamwork is an absolute must, whatever regiment you're joining. Mental strength and determination are also vital and you've got to be able to take someone 4-6 centimetres away from your face screaming at you. I'd recommend starting some sort of fitness programme and start heading to the gym.
I know it's for the british army and not the canadian but I'd also recommend looking at this to get you started on a programme. http://www.ukgear.com/Pages/Inspiration/...ramme.html
The following 1 user Likes trouserlessliam's post:
  • Swifte
Hey, i think i got something that MAY help you out, but im not entirely sure,

Its not really to do with schooling, and going to a military school, but one of the things you can do, is get a gun permit/license go to a shooting range of some sort (Must have to be 18 im assuming) And practice shooting there. If one of the staff notice that you have been there for a long time, they may contact someone, and you could be given an exam on your Weaponry and tactics, and going to a shooting range may also help you with training in the long run. That might help you out, but it depends what kind of infomation you are looking for!

-Charlie
The following 1 user Likes Commander Fi5h's post:
  • Swifte
(01-13-2013, 06:19 PM)Commander Fi5h Wrote: Hey, i think i got something that MAY help you out, but im not entirely sure,

Its not really to do with schooling, and going to a military school, but one of the things you can do, is get a gun permit/license go to a shooting range of some sort (Must have to be 18 im assuming) And practice shooting there. If one of the staff notice that you have been there for a long time, they may contact someone, and you could be given an exam on your Weaponry and tactics, and going to a shooting range may also help you with training in the long run. That might help you out, but it depends what kind of infomation you are looking for!

-Charlie

You get taught how to use a weapon no matter what regiment you join. If you do this, all you'll gain is boredom while everyones learning about how to use their firearm, you'll be sat there thinking " I already know this shit..."
One thing I'd advise is that you go on http://www.army.mod.uk/join/20261.aspx and look at the fitness bit, you can build up your fitness starting off with small amounts gradually leading up to some hard stuff. It's all made by professionals that designed it to help you be fit enough to join the armed forces.
Also what I advise is that you don't join the infantry, just don't as a foot soldier you have an absolutely massive chance of getting your legs and other body pieces blown away by IED's. Unless you absolutely have your mind set see if there's another career path in the forces you're interested in and go talk about it with the recruiters.
The following 1 user Likes Disabled Angel's post:
  • Swifte
Thank you all for this helpful information, i don't quite know the exact fitness testing portion like the actual requirements (i.e. Push-ups in under a minute.) but i will look into that link, thank you and thanks for the help again!
and i'm not dead set on the Infantry, and i am aware of the physical problems accompanied with the Infantry, I am looking at a Steward or a Engineer, or perhaps Weapons Tech and i think the Gun range may help with the Weapons Technician.
I'd recommend you make an account and visit this thread on Facepunch.
A lot of the guys there are ex-military, presently military, or on combat tour and will be more then willing to help you out.
The following 1 user Likes Joey Skylynx's post:
  • Swifte