[Guide] How to be an effective police officer. Detailed /w videos. [Being Re-Edited.]
How to be a productive and effective member of the Evo-City Police Department.

This guide is here to inform the new recruits and rusty veterans on how to combat crime around all three of the FL:RP servers. It's a detailed guide with visual representations where possible. It will run through these topics:
- First Steps.
- Tools to to fight crime.
- Crime-fighting.
- Traffic Monitoring.
- Police Persuits.
- How to impound vehicles.
- Police Driving Standards.
- Exemptions to the laws of the road.

Joining the police force.

Once you have joined as a police officer, either as soon as joining the server or after doing whatever beforehand. There are two vital things you must do before leaving the nexus.
1: Reload your firearm. This is because the amount of ammunition in your clip when you spawn/re-spawn will always be set to 1. It sounds simple but I garauntee it's a lifesaver. If you forget to do this, you will have trouble fighting suspects who are shooting back at you. Once you've reloaded, remember to stow your weapon, it's a permeanant law that you cannot carry a weapon in public view and this applies to police officers too, unless they are participating in a raid.

Spoiler: Reloading

2: The next step is to request the laws via /radio if you are not aware of the current ones. This also applies when the president slot is occupied by a different player. It's also good practice to request the laws every so often as a reminder.

Equipment.

Excellent, you've gotten the first two steps out the way and can now get down to business. However, for you to conduct your business you must know the tools of your trade, when to use those tools and how to use them. Here is the list:

The radar gun: This simply measures the speed at which an object is moving. It's purpose is to measure the speed of cars inside and outside the city and allows you to quickly and easily determine who is and isn't exceeding the speed limit. However, whoever falls into these categories depends on what the speed limit has been set as by the president at the given time.

Spoiler: Using the radar gun.

Handcuffs and Taser: These two items are the babies of each police officer in Evo-City (arrest baton exculuded, but we'll get to that). The handcuffs are to subdue a suspect and render them unable to use anything in their equipped menu. This includes fire-arms and sharp/blunt objects that can cause damage to people or their surroundings. These are used in situations where A: the suspect has surrendered and will willingly accept his punishment. B: Used on everyone in the perimeter of a crime zone until the matter has been resolved and the guilty have been sorted from the innocent. Finally, C: Applied after a suspect has been rendered unconscious by application of a taser dis-charge.
The taser is not to be trifled with, it shoots an electrical current which renders anyone hit by it unconscious to be subdued with handcuffs. The taser is used in situations where the suspect is A: Resisting arrest and trying to flee on foot. B: The suspect has failed to follow your instructions after several warnings have been issued. *Important*: The taser no longer affects suspects with a fire-arm in their hands. Before a taser is dis-charged you must give several warnings, for example "Stop! Failure to comply with my given order will result in me discharging my taser!" *Suspect fails to comply* "Sir! I have warned you! Stop what you are doing and place your hands on your head!" *Suspect fails to comply* "Last warning! Cease and desist immediately!" *Suspect fails to comply and the taser is applied*

Spoiler: Handcuffs and taser.

4: The ram: This item is used when conducting a search of a home/base or when raiding, it provides access to the compound. Rams can be used on owned locked doors and keypads. However you must obtain a search warrant on the individual who owns the door/keypad first, the reason for the search must also be a legitimate RP reason. You may occasionally come across an unowned door that is locked, a ram will open these doors without the need of a search warrant. To identify who the owner of a door is, simply aim at the door and type the following: /door sell . This will show the owners name in the bottom right corner. To know who owns a keypad, simply aim at the structure it is attached to or near and on the right hand side of the screen it will provide the owners name. To quickly request a search warrant, type the following: /warrant <name of player> search <reason>. Then wait for the president to issue the warrant. Legitimate reasons to request a search warrant are:
- Hearing the distinctive noise contraband emits when it produces money.
- The owner of a home or individuals within a base have fire-arms that are clearly visible.
- The individuals have stolen vehicles in their compound. (Either Government or civillian.)

Spoiler: Using the ram

5: The arrest/unarrset baton or stick: This is used when a suspect is guilty and you wish to deliver punishment in the form of imprisonment. It requires a warrant from the president. To request the warrant type: /warrant <name of player> arrest . Then state a reason why afterwards via /radio. Once the warrant has been issued by the president, hit the suspect with the stick and they'll be teleported to a prison cell. Or you can RP it and walk them to the prison level of the nexus and then hit them with the stick *important*: Occasionally a bug can occur where the suspect is hit by the arrest baton but instead of being teleported, they respawn in the same place they were arrested in prisoner drabs. If this occurs simply walk them to a cell. . It also has an unarrest function, meaning that if you right click a prisoner with it, they'll be unarrested. This doesn't require a warrant but must have a legitimate RP reason to use. An example would be, the prisoner paid bail.

Spoiler: Using the arrest baton.

6: the USP: This is the standard issue side-arm of the ECPD and is capable of lethal force. It is used when A: The suspect has a weapon in his hand. *important*: If you find yourself in this situation, give the suspect several warnings to drop their weapon, if they fail to comply with your warnings then presume they are ready to use the firearm and use lethal force. B: You and a suspect were involved in a high speed persuit, you have stopped the vehicle and need to get the driver out. C: The suspect has opened fire on civillians or government employees. *important*: There is no need to issue warnings in this scenario, the suspect has shown that they are willing to use their firearm and due to the lives in danger, lethal force is authorised.

7: MP5: The police force has the ability to equip MP5s, it is a non-standard issue sub machine gun capable cutting down criminals in an instant. You may equip this at any time but the parameters for use are the same as above.

Patrols, speedtraps and traffic.

Now you know what the tools at your disposal are and how to use them properly. Next what your job consists of. Firstly:
-Patrols. This is the bread and butter of policing. If you are not patrolling the city, you're not going to find much crime. The police can't stay in the nexus they have to go out into the city and protect it. To do this all you have to do is follow a set route around town. An example route would be: Leave the nexus turn left into slums, examine the area then go around the back of the nexus heading back into the city, turn right to cub foods and check the apartments. The exit turn left and examine BP and it's surrounding area. The vital things to do when patrolling are to patrol in pairs (safety in numbers), always report your location and don't restrict yourself to just the main city, you should branch out to UM, the industrial, pool and corleone district.

Spoiler: basic patrol of the slums.

-Driving as a police officer. Whether you need to drive as part of your patrol route or you're simply too lazy to walk it, you will need to be driving at some point as a police officer. Now, as a police officer you are a shining example of what justice and good citizenship is. That does not give you the right to drive through town like a lunatic getting attacked by bees in his car. You must obey the laws of the road like everyone else. This includes: Staying to the right hand side of the road. Following the traffic lights and staying within the speed limit. (The way my driving instructor puts it. "The speed limit is a limit, not a target" - Terry Simmons.).

Spoiler: How an officer should drive.

-Impounding cars. People don't understand that it's actually a permeanant law that you cannot park on the side of the road, it blocks traffic and is dangerous. As well as that you'll find that quite often, someone thinks they own the road and just decides to park in the middle of it. This is where impounding cars comes into play, to do this you will need at lest 1 lockpick. This can be bought from a BMD (black market dealer to those that do not know what BMD stands for.) but do not buy them as a police officer because A: Chances are they won't sell it to you. and B: It's failRP for an officer to buy illegal items. Hence the term BLACK MARKET dealer. However, if you are going to impound someones vehicle, give them 1 warning and if they have not moved it within five minutes, continue to impound it, whether they they find you and complain or not.

Spoiler: Impounding a vehicle.

-Speedtraps. These are set-up quickly and easily by spawning two breakable props and freezing them next to your vehicle which you have positioned along a long stretch of road. The point of these is to not just catch speeders out. It also has a psychological effect to reduce speeding because the speeders realise that it's there, if they speed they'll get a ticket.

Spoiler: Speedtrap setup and where to find props.

-The final and possibly most fun part.Persuing traffic violators/getaway cars. If you see someone commit a crime or frequently set speed traps up, sooner or later you will come across an offender who is trying to get away from you by driving a car. How to approach this situation is: Get in your car and persue them. Don't shoot them, this is your last resort. Chase them down and perform a P.I.T manouevre to stop their vehicle. Once they have stopped aim your fire=arm at their car and order them step out, if they drive off fire a warning shot, if they continue get back in your car and bein your persuit. Repeat the method until you stop their car again. If after three or more attempts have failed at stopping their car via P.I.T manouvre it is likely you will have to use deadly force. Once the suspect has been pacified report it and impound the vehicle.

Spoiler: How to persue getaway cars.

*Note* When in persuit of a suspect fleeing via a car or when responding to an emergency call officers who are in persuit/responding are exempt from the following traffic laws:

-Speed limits.

-Stopping at red traffic lights.

Spoiler: Credits.
Guide Made by trouserlessliam *Still under editing*
No footage was staged, all footage was actual ingame footage of criminal offences committed by players.
Thanks to all involved.

The following 5 users Like trouserlessliam's post:
  • Weecow, Grant, Bailey444, dig, Kethus
Thread approved, nicely done.
lol, I thought this thing was rejected. Thank you. Smile
The only think i reacted on was that you tazed the chef as he had a gun on you, and as far as I know, thats something you should avoid. (gunpoint and bla bla). Otherwise, nicely done! Well written, and I like how you included a simple video for the different topics.
Sincerely, Enzyme
Ex-Supervising Administrator
(01-14-2013, 05:33 PM)Doctor_Enzyme Wrote: The only think i reacted on was that you tazed the chef as he had a gun on you, and as far as I know, thats something you should avoid. (gunpoint and bla bla). Otherwise, nicely done! Well written, and I like how you included a simple video for the different topics.

Well actually I started recording a bit too late on that video, he didn't actually have the gun aimed at me first, he opened fire on the rebel inside his cafe and I happened along it, I had my taser ready to use before I'd walked through the door. But thanks for the criticism. Smile
This is an amazing guide. Well done!
Regards,
aviator
The guide appears to be really nice, though the videos seem to be a big part of it, but none of them work anymore.
None of the video's exist anymore nice guide though

[Image: fgfcrai.png]

If I helped you, please consider giving me a +Rep.

Videos don't work, but I can just as easily read the guide.
Everyone should read this, whether they're a newbie or a police veteran.

Sincerely,
ArcHammer
[Image: LkB62ld.png]

+Rep
I accidentally deleted the vids a while back. I'll remake them, I also have to update some parts of the guide in correspondence with the taser not affecting armed suspects as well as a few other areas. Also needs proof reading, I noticed a few spelling errors and haven't been bothered to fix.