Euthanasia
Whats your opinion on Euthanasia? Is it legal/illegal in your country?

It's illegal here in Denmark, and I strongly disagree with that. If a person is terminally ill, with no chance of surviving said disease, they should be allowed a peaceful death with euthanasia.

Additional question; How would you like your life to end?
I strongly disagree with it being illegal in Denmark too. I think that if the person wishes to die to not suffer anymore pain, it's really okay to not kill them, but slowly die peacefully.

I'd like my life to end a late midday in my bed, really old.
I, personally have no problem with it. Life comes from the mind, not the body.

On the other hand, the question is when it will be applied. Let's face it, we're all human. And for all the good things that that sentence means, that also means our judgement is clouded, our opinions muddled. The way the law is in most countries, it's to avoid horrible situations.

The reason why it isn't allowed is simple, where will the line be drawn? Sure, everything is nice and clear at first, everyone is happily euthanizing everywhere. Then a case comes up where it's not as black and white as we would like it to be. We let it slide. Then another one, and another. The the law must be changed to avoid all of these exceptions coming up. Then the limit gets lowered. Then another case... You can see where I'm going with this?

As with many things, it works on paper. If the human race was ruled by a giant computer, that is perfectly boolean about everything, and everything is black or white, it would work.

We are humans, we make mistakes. Let's not lose lives because of them.
The thing people always seem to be most worried about is that by legalizeing Euthanasia or "Assisted Suicide" it, it would pave the way for doctors making the decision on when to end their life, when the person themself is unable to make it: IE: Comatose, unable to communicate at all, the elderly with mental issues, or even those with mental issues in general. It has its merits to fear it, but at the same time many examples used by governments or political parties or groups to prevent it are unrealistic, and damn near Orwellian.

IE: American Republicans stirring up "Death Panals" who were going to "Kill Grandma" when they were trying to prevent their universal healthcare bill.

My own opinion is basicly this: If someone who is terminaly ill, no chance of recovery at all, they are in constant pain and require medication just to keep them in a comfertable state, yet will continue to live like that for years to come, they should be free to make the choice on if they wish to continue living.
Saint Dogbert: The patron saint of technology
[Image: Saint_dogbert.jpg]
(12-11-2012, 10:19 PM)BlackDog Wrote: The thing people always seem to be most worried about is that by legalizeing it, it would pave the way for doctors making the decision on when to end their life, when the person themself is unable to make it: IE: Comatose, unable to communicate at all, the elderly with mental issues, or even those with mental issues in general. It has its merits to fear it, but at the same time many examples used by governments or political parties or groups to prevent it are unrealistic, and damn near Orwellian.

I'm pretty sure it will need the patient to sign a paper.
(12-11-2012, 10:20 PM)Narcotic Wrote:
(12-11-2012, 10:19 PM)BlackDog Wrote: The thing people always seem to be most worried about is that by legalizeing it, it would pave the way for doctors making the decision on when to end their life, when the person themself is unable to make it: IE: Comatose, unable to communicate at all, the elderly with mental issues, or even those with mental issues in general. It has its merits to fear it, but at the same time many examples used by governments or political parties or groups to prevent it are unrealistic, and damn near Orwellian.

I'm pretty sure it will need the patient to sign a paper.

Oh no doubt, but my point was generaly the argument against it is always some kind of orwelian ideal that it will give the doctors FULL power of attourny when it comes to the final decision, when in reality it is highly doubtfull this would ever occur
The following 1 user Likes BlackDog's post:
  • Narc
(12-11-2012, 09:58 PM)Zzzzap Wrote: Additional question; How would you like your life to end?

To be eaten by a T-Rex with a top hat and a monocle.
The following 2 users Like The_Alpha_Dog's post:
  • Tyki Mikk, Dubwub
I am inclined to agree with the feel of this thread.

If the person wants to end their life, but are unable to; they should be able to get support.
Earlier this year in the UK this was a big story.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...ferer.html

It is basically about a 58 year old man who suffers from locked-in syndrome following a stroke in 2005.
He wants to end the suffering he faces daily and so does his family yet they are unable to because of the current laws against it.

They are still campaigning for his right to die

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20570785

I really hope that the government see sense soon.
(12-12-2012, 09:04 AM)GRiiM Wrote: Earlier this year in the UK this was a big story.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...ferer.html

It is basically about a 58 year old man who suffers from locked-in syndrome following a stroke in 2005.
He wants to end the suffering he faces daily and so does his family yet they are unable to because of the current laws against it.

They are still campaigning for his right to die

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20570785

I really hope that the government see sense soon.

He died around August, after they stated that he could not have anyone help him die, and that they would still be convicted if they did so, he refused food which rapidly lowered his immune system until he contracted pneumonia and died.