The Art of Roleplay (aka How to Roleplay)
The Art of Roleplay

Wikipedia defines roleplay as:
"Role-playing refers to the changing of one's behavior to assume a role, either unconsciously to fill a social role, or consciously to act out an adopted role."

In other words, roleplaying is basically a form of acting. You play the role of a chosen or given character. The better you do this, the better you are at roleplaying.

For example:
So if you are roleplaying a nerd-type character, you'll use correct grammar and you'll sprout extremely complicated nouns, verbs and explanations. You may even correct people, and you'll never carry a gun with you.
Or if you're the "tough guy" - you'll use colourful language and you'll tend to threaten people and carry huge amounts of weaponry with you.
Make sure you stick with your roleplay (and, indeed, stereotype).

Do what your role suggests.
Gun dealers are not assassins (and no, don't use it as a disguise). Rebels can very well be assassins if roleplayed correctly.

However, even as, say, a Chef, you can take someone hostage, but you must have a very good RP reason (i.e. you've gone insane).

Use ingame commands to your advantage.
Use /me as much as possible. /me is a very useful tool for roleplaying.
*** Jeremy Raver shrugs and walks off.
*** Steve Geoffries buys some drugs from the Black Market Dealer.
*** Michael Anders points at the man in the window.

Use binds to your advantage as well. *
bind = "say /y This is a raid! Get down on the ground now!"
bind c "+Bind_menu"
bind x "say /inventory Banshee use 1"

Save the lack of grammar for OOC.
Out Of Character chat has nothing to do with roleplaying, so leave all the "omg lol dat wuz hilrous lol lol" to OOC (but please keep your writing as neat as possible anyway).
When you're roleplaying (IC - In Character chat), please use good grammar.
Pepper your roleplay chat with a slight accent! This alone makes your roleplaying TONS better!
"Ah man, that wus lahk.. Howd'ja do that? That wus amazin', man!"
You can even speak in another language in IC chat - and pretend you do not know English!

Remember In Character relations!
Just because you're friends with someone in real-life or in Steam (hopefully it's the former), it doesn't mean you're instantly friends with them in roleplay mode.
Feel free to build up relationships with other people and keep them in each roleplaying session.

If roleplayed well, you can even break rules and get away with it! **
BUT.
Some rules such as RDM canot be bypassed. Other rules such as scamming can be roleplayed - and nobody can compain (in out of character chat) about that!
Again, some rules can't be bypassed. Don't build large shops in public spaces (small stalls are okay - but they must be small), don't modify your car with props and don't build in the road.
Things like roadblocks and car traps are okay if done properly, and roleplayed sufficiently to bypass a prop-block/prop-kill ban repsectively.

You can defend yourself in a raid.
Hostaging is different from raiding. During a raid, you can defend yourself by attacking the raider. You can also run and hide. Do what your roleplay character suggests.

That is pretty much the correct method of roleplaying.
I will update this thread with ideas and suggestions.

Hopefully after reading this, you'll do a better job of roleplaying.

* Binds are for donators only. Don't ask me why.
** Don't continually do this or you might get banned anyway.
[Image: P6KNEfH.png]           .       
Steam | Twitter | YouTube
Signature graphic by Barkles
Raffı do you suggest breakıng rules now? More work for you ı guess.

But nıce guıde, seems lıke we got a new Favourıt FL guıde nomınatıon. Even tho the current one wıll be replaced, sınce none seems to do ıt rıght.
Sticky this, very handy but put it in a different place because none will look here.
Use binds to your advantage as well.
bind = "say /y This is a raid! Get down on the ground now!"
bind c "+Bind_menu"
bind x "say /inventory Banshee use 1"

*COUGH* Donator only*
Signature too big...
(07-29-2010, 02:40 PM)Paven Wrote: Raffı do you suggest breakıng rules now? More work for you ı guess.
I'm not suggesting we should break rules, I'm saying that you can bypass some rules if you roleplay it well enough.

Because roleplay reflects real life (sort of), anything that happens in real life should be allowed in roleplay. i.e. scamming.

And Barrel... I forgot that binds are donator only. :D
Yes but what if you want to assassinate some one if you dont give em a warning they usually scream Rdm i tried it once whan i was rebel.
Remember Reach.
Again, you have to roleplay it well. Make it apparent.
Say something like "Hit Recieved" in /advert mode. And when you assassinate the target you say "Hit Complete".

It's obvious when people use Assassination as an excuse to RDM - they have no recieved hit, they kill many at a time, and they have no proof of being a real assassin.