Bethesda Softworks
(10-22-2012, 02:41 PM)Slick Rick Wrote: You seem really convinced that they aren't pandering to the console crowd. Tell me, why would they not when that's where most of their sales have gone, and I'm sure a company as big and rich as Bethesda, predicted that consoles would sell more.

Could it be because the console market is the biggest market in videogames at the moment? You'd be hard-pressed to find videogames released on consoles and PC simultaneously and PC sold more copies. You talk as if it is something unique to TES games, when it goes for nearly all videogames.

Again, it's not necessarily pandering to the console crowd, but streamlining it. And I don't see how quick exits at dungeons are for the more sophisticated videogamers. It reeks of PC-elitism.
(10-22-2012, 03:51 PM)Dylan Wrote:
(10-22-2012, 02:41 PM)Slick Rick Wrote: You seem really convinced that they aren't pandering to the console crowd. Tell me, why would they not when that's where most of their sales have gone, and I'm sure a company as big and rich as Bethesda, predicted that consoles would sell more.

Could it be because the console market is the biggest market in videogames at the moment? You'd be hard-pressed to find videogames released on consoles and PC simultaneously and PC sold more copies. You talk as if it is something unique to TES games, when it goes for nearly all videogames.

Again, it's not necessarily pandering to the console crowd, but streamlining it. And I don't see how quick exits at dungeons are for the more sophisticated videogamers. It reeks of PC-elitism.

Well that's exactly why lol, almost every kid you know has an Xbox or a Ps3.

Quote:And I don't see how quick exits at dungeons are for the more sophisticated videogamers

You mean aren't for the more sophisticated? If so, most "sophisticated" gamers enjoy games with a bit more depth, that's all.
I'm going to agree with Dylan because so far what he has said is true.
People think that PC gaming is over , but it's not and it will never be . Sure i'm annoyed every time i go to a game store to find a huge shelves for console games and just a small one for PC games. Just because the "youth" are mainly console users it doesn't mean its better then the PC. Why most parents give their brats a console because of many reasons :
1) Its easy to keep control on a console then a PC .
2) If you want to confiscate it for a couple of days its easier to disconnect and hide it then a Computer.
3) Most parents just don't know how to work with a computer so if their little brat comes in with a problem , it means they can't solve it.
4) A console takes less place in your house then a computer does (don't start ranting about laptop's because those aren't really meant for gaming) with a console you can store it in your TV drawer or hell even under your bed , with a computer you need a desk.
5) A console just has the console itself , two controllers and a TV. A computer has the computer case , a computer screen , sound boxes , a keyboard and a mouse meaning if one thing breaks its a thing more to replace then a with a console.
6) Latest generation of the "youth" only use a computer to sit on shit like facebook , twitter , msn and what other bullshit . Don't agree with this ? Open your eyes and look around.
7) Another reason why the "youth" are console users mainly is because for at least 50% their parents where console players themselves , it looked cheaper then getting a pc doing all the upgrades and la di da.
Not to mention some parents make the calculation: Console + Few wires = cheaper and less of a mess . Computer + Accessors + Alot of wires = expensive

As for Skyrim being more console friendly? That's not correct , I've been playing Skyrim vanilla again and i see no troubles really . I admit the inventory menus are a pain in the ass but that's the only minor that really bothers me. People seem to forget that Skyrim was designed after what the Oblivion PC gaming fans have accomplished with their mods. Most effects like the kill cams , the decapitating and the horse combat are ideas they used from the following two mods for Oblivion

Deadly Reflexes : http://oblivion.nexusmods.com/mods/8273
Unnecessary Violence : http://oblivion.nexusmods.com/mods/40310

Bethesda said in an interview they made Skyrim by looking at the ideas and mods of the Skyrim PC players , they decided to give out the Creation Kit quicker (it had been a small delay) so the PC fans of Skyrim could make their mods and improve and add new content to the Skyrim World even quicker.

As for S.T.A.L.K.E.R , shit I'm going to have some catching up to do . I only played and own Shadow of Chernobyl :p
(10-23-2012, 08:51 AM)William Lionheart Wrote: I'm going to agree with Dylan because so far what he has said is true.
People think that PC gaming is over , but it's not and it will never be . Sure i'm annoyed every time i go to a game store to find a huge shelves for console games and just a small one for PC games. Just because the "youth" are mainly console users it doesn't mean its better then the PC. Why most parents give their brats a console because of many reasons :
1) Its easy to keep control on a console then a PC .
2) If you want to confiscate it for a couple of days its easier to disconnect and hide it then a Computer.
3) Most parents just don't know how to work with a computer so if their little brat comes in with a problem , it means they can't solve it.
4) A console takes less place in your house then a computer does (don't start ranting about laptop's because those aren't really meant for gaming) with a console you can store it in your TV drawer or hell even under your bed , with a computer you need a desk.
5) A console just has the console itself , two controllers and a TV. A computer has the computer case , a computer screen , sound boxes , a keyboard and a mouse meaning if one thing breaks its a thing more to replace then a with a console.
6) Latest generation of the "youth" only use a computer to sit on shit like facebook , twitter , msn and what other bullshit . Don't agree with this ? Open your eyes and look around.
7) Another reason why the "youth" are console users mainly is because for at least 50% their parents where console players themselves , it looked cheaper then getting a pc doing all the upgrades and la di da.
Not to mention some parents make the calculation: Console + Few wires = cheaper and less of a mess . Computer + Accessors + Alot of wires = expensive

As for Skyrim being more console friendly? That's not correct , I've been playing Skyrim vanilla again and i see no troubles really . I admit the inventory menus are a pain in the ass but that's the only minor that really bothers me. People seem to forget that Skyrim was designed after what the Oblivion PC gaming fans have accomplished with their mods. Most effects like the kill cams , the decapitating and the horse combat are ideas they used from the following two mods for Oblivion

Deadly Reflexes : http://oblivion.nexusmods.com/mods/8273
Unnecessary Violence : http://oblivion.nexusmods.com/mods/40310

Bethesda said in an interview they made Skyrim by looking at the ideas and mods of the Skyrim PC players , they decided to give out the Creation Kit quicker (it had been a small delay) so the PC fans of Skyrim could make their mods and improve and add new content to the Skyrim World even quicker.

As for S.T.A.L.K.E.R , shit I'm going to have some catching up to do . I only played and own Shadow of Chernobyl :p

1st part of your post: I didn't say consoles were superior. I also didn't say PC gaming was dying.

2nd part: I'm glad you see it that way, but myself and many others feel as if the game plays better with a controller. Even if it wasn't "console friendly", it sure as hell is more console friendly than any other TES and that's my point.
@Slick i didn't say YOU said it , i just said PEOPLE think it . In the end its to each his own
the only Bethesda games I tried were ( IN ORDER )

Fallout : New Vegas (9.6|10)

Fallout 3 (7.4|10)

Skyrim (7.9|10)

I got through the main quest....and I was level 13 at the end LOL
[Image: 9lQ10sX.png]
updated 1/24/2020
- TES: Oblivion gets a 9.2 out of 10 from me. It's not really possible to describe that game. It's good but of course has some flaws. Mainly being dungeons...

- Fallout 3 receives a 9.8 out of 10 from me. Amazing game, really. Only reason why it hasn't received a 10 is because of the bugs that occurs sometimes. Pretty neat DLC's too.

- Fallout NV gets a 8.1 out of 10 from me. It didn't live up to Fallout 3 at all and I really dont get the same feeling from playing it as I got from wandering in The DC Wasteland. I was also quite disappointed by the graphics which had not been upgraded from FO3.

- TES: Skyrim receives a... hmmm... 8.7 out of 10 from me. Itøs a great game but it didn't live up to Oblivions standards which were really good. Also, I hated the way how everything got dugged down especially the guilds. They are all insanely boring in Skyrim except for the Thieves Guild. Another thing I missed in Skyrim was an arena like the one in Imperial City.

- Rage gets a 6.1 out of 10 only because of the graphics which were pretty good. Everything else sucked. I guess it's not that much of a Bethesda work though.

- Brink gets a 4.9 out of 10 for being so incredibly bad and boring.

TL: DR - I believe Bethesda together with Rockstar are the best game studios we have at the moment. They never fail to amaze me with outstanding landscapes and environments.
Morrowind - 8.5 from me. The atmosphere and lore of the game is awesome but the combat is sooooo unbelievably bad I can't even hardly play it, but I can see why Morrowind is legendary and a classic. It was totally gamebreaking in it's time

Oblivion - 8.5. One of my all time favorite games, played probably 200 hours into it at least on the 360 and I've still seen vids of things/quests I haven't done (not some Skyrim COLLECT 5 BEAR PELTS HURR side quests) and NPCs I havent fought, which makes me really wanna get it for PC and mod it up and replay it

Fallout 3 - I'd say I'd give it about a 9. A lot of people hated on how bland and brown the environment was but I actually liked it. V.A.T.S. was neat at first but I think it made shit a little too easy

Fallout NV: I'll give it a 9 as well, the story owns Fallout 3's story so bad it's not even funny, I found myself bored a lot more in NV than I did in Fallout 3 though

Skyrim: I'll give it a 7.5, so much wasted potential but still a game worth playing. It's so easy it hurts, but with gamechanging mods it can be an easy 8.5
(10-24-2012, 01:30 PM)StillAlive Wrote: - TES: Oblivion gets a 9.2 out of 10 from me. It's not really possible to describe that game. It's good but of course has some flaws. Mainly being dungeons...

- Fallout 3 receives a 9.8 out of 10 from me. Amazing game, really. Only reason why it hasn't received a 10 is because of the bugs that occurs sometimes. Pretty neat DLC's too.

- Fallout NV gets a 8.1 out of 10 from me. It didn't live up to Fallout 3 at all and I really dont get the same feeling from playing it as I got from wandering in The DC Wasteland. I was also quite disappointed by the graphics which had not been upgraded from FO3.

- TES: Skyrim receives a... hmmm... 8.7 out of 10 from me. Itøs a great game but it didn't live up to Oblivions standards which were really good. Also, I hated the way how everything got dugged down especially the guilds. They are all insanely boring in Skyrim except for the Thieves Guild. Another thing I missed in Skyrim was an arena like the one in Imperial City.

- Rage gets a 6.1 out of 10 only because of the graphics which were pretty good. Everything else sucked. I guess it's not that much of a Bethesda work though.

- Brink gets a 4.9 out of 10 for being so incredibly bad and boring.

TL: DR - I believe Bethesda together with Rockstar are the best game studios we have at the moment. They never fail to amaze me with outstanding landscapes and environments.

I agree with the way you compaired FALLOUT 3 and FALLOUT NV Because the way FALLOUT 3 was made was better because of the DLC's and there was more things to kill.But FALLOUT NV is also a bit good because of the way the Storyline goes...

Slick Rick and Dylan can you please not argue on my post?

Because this is for talking about Bethesda games and what you think of them like how StillAlive posted,this post is NOT to be argued on,if you want to argue make your own post.
I am going to give a quick overview of the Bethesda Games I have played.

TES:IV Oblivion - 9/10 This is probably because it was the first Elder Scrolls game I played and when I did I fell in love. Call me a sucker for some good lore and storyline but it is really great fun. I loved everything, except some of the NPCs which a lot of the time were just hilarious to see them try and be serious. Oh well.

Fallout 3 - 7-8/10 I have only literally played 4/5 hours of this game and I can say that from what I have experienced it is pretty great. I've already suffered some bugs but hey, most games have them. Another interesting story that makes me look at the wiki after every time I play it.

TES:V Skyrim - 9/10 A lot of people rate this worse then Oblivion but I found it great fun all the same. I did play it on console and generally do play games on easy difficultes (ugh, who is this noob?) but that is because I would rather experience the story. I agree with StillAlive that the guild quest lines were rather lacking but otherwise I love the game plays out.