Bethesda Softworks
(10-21-2012, 05:40 PM)MattyG56 Wrote:
(10-21-2012, 11:02 AM)Slick Rick Wrote:
(10-21-2012, 10:11 AM)Warior135 Wrote: They are apparently making the new S.T.A.L.K.E.R

If they ruin it there will be news on the TV of a nuclear bomb being detonated at Bethesda Soft-works...

They're going to ruin it.

It's gonna come out for consoles and be completely consolized (aka casual)

If anyone thinks STALKER 2 made by Bethesda will be anything like the others gameplay-wise, think again.

Bethesda-Softworks will perfect it cause they are awesome.

If making the game 10x easier and adding regenerating health is perfecting it, then you're damn right

(10-21-2012, 06:06 PM)Dylan Wrote: Bethesda is NOT developing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2, they are publishing it. There is a difference.

Either way it's gonna come out for consoles and most likely be mainly a console port (Like they did with Skyrim, after Morrowind and Oblivion being more PC-friendly than anything. Consoles are where the money's at, sadly. More kids with mommy's credit card)
(10-21-2012, 10:17 AM)Zealord Wrote: Anyone played Dishonored yet? It's a wonderful little game.

And also its not made by Bethesda only published.
(10-22-2012, 01:21 AM)Slick Rick Wrote:
(10-21-2012, 06:06 PM)Dylan Wrote: Bethesda is NOT developing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2, they are publishing it. There is a difference.

Either way it's gonna come out for consoles and most likely be mainly a console port (Like they did with Skyrim, after Morrowind and Oblivion being more PC-friendly than anything. Consoles are where the money's at, sadly. More kids with mommy's credit card)

I don't see how that's a valid criticism. No matter how lenient they are, Zenimax needs a profit from Bethesda by the end of the day. Also, Skyrim is as PC-friendly as Fallout 3, New Vegas, Oblivion and Morrowind. I have no clue where you got your facts from, they are essentially the same, running on the same engine, using .esp's and .esm's. Skyrim lost some RPG elements, but that was NOT due to console release, both Morrowind and Oblivion had console releases.

Edit: Actually the PC-version of Skyrim is far more friendly towards PC-users than any other Bethesda game. They offer you HD-texture patch officially and for free (not present in any other game) and they allow you to try patches in beta, before they've been released, giving PC-users features earlier than any other platform (mounted combat, killcams for spells & bows).
The following 1 user Likes Dylan's post:
  • William Lionheart
(10-22-2012, 04:35 AM)Dylan Wrote:
(10-22-2012, 01:21 AM)Slick Rick Wrote:

I don't see how that's a valid criticism. No matter how lenient they are, Zenimax needs a profit from Bethesda by the end of the day. Also, Skyrim is as PC-friendly as Fallout 3, New Vegas, Oblivion and Morrowind. I have no clue where you got your facts from, they are essentially the same, running on the same engine, using .esp's and .esm's. Skyrim lost some RPG elements, but that was NOT due to console release, both Morrowind and Oblivion had console releases.

Edit: Actually the PC-version of Skyrim is far more friendly towards PC-users than any other Bethesda game. They offer you HD-texture patch officially and for free (not present in any other game) and they allow you to try patches in beta, before they've been released, giving PC-users features earlier than any other platform (mounted combat, killcams for spells & bows).

Because games mostly directed to the console audience are usually (keyword Usually) more dumbed down and linear (compare Skyrims corridor-like dungeons to any other TES, or Fallout dungeons/vaults, at the end of the damn dungeons on Skyrim there's even an exit, the game spoon-feeds you like a baby) to appeal to a much wider audience, an audience that only plays the game for an hour a day at max.

And no, Skyrim isn't more PC friendly, gameplay-wise (which in the end is what matters most) One of the most important things in an RPG is the user-interface, and the Skyrim interface (while of course it can be modded, which still isn't an excuse) is designed for ease of use with a controller, and compared to Oblivions and Morrowinds UI, it's hideous.

Just because they allow you to test patches and give you free graphical updates, doesn't mean the gameplay itself is more PC friendly.

I know multiple people even IRL who play Skyrim with a controller on their PC, just because it's more easy and fluent, and it is, I've done it
(10-22-2012, 05:02 AM)Slick Rick Wrote: Because games mostly directed to the console audience are usually (keyword Usually) more dumbed down and linear (compare Skyrims corridor-like dungeons to any other TES, or Fallout dungeons/vaults, at the end of the damn dungeons on Skyrim there's even an exit, the game spoon-feeds you like a baby) to appeal to a much wider audience, an audience that only plays the game for an hour a day at max.

And no, Skyrim isn't more PC friendly, gameplay-wise (which in the end is what matters most) One of the most important things in an RPG is the user-interface, and the Skyrim interface (while of course it can be modded, which still isn't an excuse) is designed for ease of use with a controller, and compared to Oblivions and Morrowinds UI, it's hideous.

Just because they allow you to test patches and give you free graphical updates, doesn't mean the gameplay itself is more PC friendly.

I know multiple people even IRL who play Skyrim with a controller on their PC, just because it's more easy and fluent, and it is, I've done it

So because a game allows you to quickly exit a dungeon at the end of it, it is pandering to te lowest common denominator? Well I guess The Witcher 2 is just PANDERING to the console crowd, with the mission "Subterranean life", that allows you to instantly leave at the end.
I played Skyrim mainly on the PC, and I can say, no matter WHAT platform I use, I'd always prefer being able to instantly leave a dungeon. I honestly have no clue as to where you've gotten the idea, that Skyrim is console-friendly if it does that (TES games are NOTHING in comparison to other games, no fast travel for example).

Whilst the UI for Skyrim was terrible, it doesn't change my argument, that Bethesda has several perks for PC-players, gameplay changers or not.

Also I have no clue from where you get the notion that gamepad compatible = Console friendly. Every control setting on Skyrim is changable, so I have no idea why you'd even count the gamepad as an argument.
(10-22-2012, 01:29 PM)Dylan Wrote:
(10-22-2012, 05:02 AM)Slick Rick Wrote: Because games mostly directed to the console audience are usually (keyword Usually) more dumbed down and linear (compare Skyrims corridor-like dungeons to any other TES, or Fallout dungeons/vaults, at the end of the damn dungeons on Skyrim there's even an exit, the game spoon-feeds you like a baby) to appeal to a much wider audience, an audience that only plays the game for an hour a day at max.

So because a game allows you to quickly exit a dungeon at the end of it, it is pandering to te lowest common denominator? Well I guess The Witcher 2 is just PANDERING to the console crowd, with the mission "Subterranean life", that allows you to instantly leave at the end.
I played Skyrim mainly on the PC, and I can say, no matter WHAT platform I use, I'd always prefer being able to instantly leave a dungeon. I honestly have no clue as to where you've gotten the idea, that Skyrim is console-friendly if it does that (TES games are NOTHING in comparison to other games, no fast travel for example).

Whilst the UI for Skyrim was terrible, it doesn't change my argument, that Bethesda has several perks for PC-players, gameplay changers or not.

Also I have no clue from where you get the notion that gamepad compatible = Console friendly. Every control setting on Skyrim is changable, so I have no idea why you'd even count the gamepad as an argument.

One mission on TW2 (which I've never played) = every dungeon/quest in the whole game? I kinda doubt it.

It's the fact that EVERY dungeon in Skyrim is pretty much a straight path, with a few extra hallways that lead to some loot, with an exit at the end.
The reason that's console friendly is because, majority of console-only players are casual players, meaning they'd prefer to jump into a game, find some epic loot, do some hackin' and slashin', rather than entering a dungeon with some depth, one you may get lost in, one that actually poses a challenge.

Here's a comparison for you:

Skyrim:
[Image: 1249fs6.jpg]
Morrowind:
[Image: 5zjndi.jpg]

And it's not the fact that it's gamepad compatible, it's the fact it's BETTER with a gamepad (opinionated, maybe, but even as a PC guy I found it wayyy better with a controller, especially navigating the UI)

Edit: Skyrim also sold more on consoles than it did PC, which is WHY it was pandered to consoles and the console userbase, it only makes sense business-wise
The following 2 users Like Slick Rick's post:
  • Fleet Admiral Zapington, Warior135
(10-22-2012, 01:45 PM)Slick Rick Wrote: One mission on TW2 (which I've never played) = every dungeon/quest in the whole game? I kinda doubt it.

It's the fact that EVERY dungeon in Skyrim is pretty much a straight path, with a few extra hallways that lead to some loot, with an exit at the end.
The reason that's console friendly is because, majority of console-only players are casual players, meaning they'd prefer to jump into a game, find some epic loot, do some hackin' and slashin', rather than entering a dungeon with some depth, one you may get lost in, one that actually poses a challenge.

And it's not the fact that it's gamepad compatible, it's the fact it's BETTER with a gamepad (opinionated, maybe, but even as a PC guy I found it wayyy better with a controller, especially navigating the UI)

Edit: Skyrim also sold more on consoles than it did PC, which is WHY it was pandered to consoles and the console userbase, it only makes sense business-wise

You have yet to explain, why simplified dungeons are pandering to the consoles. It should quite frankly be an offensive thought and it's obvious you consider the console-gamers to be of lower intelligence or status. No, I think that what you consider the decline of The Elder Scrolls is not due to "pandering to the console crowd", but more or less because the money is NOT in consoles, but in streamlining games so that everyone understands and is able to play them.

An apt comparison would be the Mass Effect trilogy, has always been on both consoles and computers, yet has taken a "decline" towards action-orientation, again, not to pander to the console crowd, but to draw more people in.

Furthermore, use SkyUI. Anyone that has been playing Skyrim on PC without that has been doing it wrong.
Also just remembered that Bethesda has Steam Workshop for Skyrim, I'd consider that another win for PC Skyrim.

Furthermore you seem to be tangled up in nostalgia so bad, that you fail to recognize the LOADS of issues that Oblivion and Morrowind has & had. TES games have always been buggy, but with Skyrim, it's at least been somewhat playable (except for on PS3, ironic it wouldn't work there, as they should be "pandering" to that very crowd), Oblivion and Morrowind were, at times, just gigantic pieces of shit. Perhaps this more simplistic approach has been helping minimize the bugs?
The following 1 user Likes Dylan's post:
  • William Lionheart
(10-22-2012, 02:28 PM)Dylan Wrote:
(10-22-2012, 01:45 PM)Slick Rick Wrote: One mission on TW2 (which I've never played) = every dungeon/quest in the whole game? I kinda doubt it.

You have yet to explain, why simplified dungeons are pandering to the consoles. It should quite frankly be an offensive thought and it's obvious you consider the console-gamers to be of lower intelligence or status. No, I think that what you consider the decline of The Elder Scrolls is not due to "pandering to the console crowd", but more or less because the money is NOT in consoles, but in streamlining games so that everyone understands and is able to play them.

An apt comparison would be the Mass Effect trilogy, has always been on both consoles and computers, yet has taken a "decline" towards action-orientation, again, not to pander to the console crowd, but to draw more people in.

Furthermore, use SkyUI. Anyone that has been playing Skyrim on PC without that has been doing it wrong.
Also just remembered that Bethesda has Steam Workshop for Skyrim, I'd consider that another win for PC Skyrim.

Oh, but I have explained it, and you just said it. So what if it's an offensive thought? Many true thoughts and statements are offensive, the average console player is younger, therefore and most-likely less educated than the average PC player. For example, my 13 year old cousins favorite game is Skyrim on the PS3. That's not really a bad thing, he loves games like Mount and Blade etc. Just an example.

Quote:No, I think that what you consider the decline of The Elder Scrolls is not due to "pandering to the console crowd", but more or less because the money is NOT in consoles, but in streamlining games so that everyone understands and is able to play them.

Well that's kind of true to an extent I guess. It's due to the pandering of consoles BECAUSE of them wanting to what they call in the industry "expanding our audience" (AKA casualizing the game, like what Blizzard has done with WoW) so more casual-players can enjoy the game as well, without putting in so much effort.

Streamlining and "attempting to draw in more people" draws in many console players, as many of them are more casual. So yes, more money IS in consoles. That's their goal.

And I'm tangled up in Nostalgia? I've barely even played Morrowind, played Oblivion on the 360, and have only about 40 hours into Skyrim before deciding it was garbage. I'm aware of the problems they have, the Gamebryo engine is infamous for it's ridiculous amount of bugs. And wayyyyy more people own a 360 compared to a Ps3, so yeah. Nice assumption though.

You seem really convinced that they aren't pandering to the console crowd. Tell me, why would they not when that's where most of their sales have gone, and I'm sure a company as big and rich as Bethesda, predicted that consoles would sell more.
(10-21-2012, 10:11 AM)Warior135 Wrote: They are apparently making the new S.T.A.L.K.E.R

If they ruin it there will be news on the TV of a nuclear bomb being detonated at Bethesda Soft-works...

If anyone thinks STALKER 2 made by Bethesda will be anything like the others gameplay-wise, think again.

It will also have the story being that "You need to save the zone!"

The beauty of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R games is that it doesn't matter if you are alive or not, The zone will get on perfectly fine without you.
(10-22-2012, 02:49 PM)Warior135 Wrote:

It will also have the story being that "You need to save the zone!"

The beauty of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R games is that it doesn't matter if you are alive or not, The zone will get on perfectly fine without you.

Lol yea probably so, and I agree