World Cup 2014
(06-25-2014, 05:16 PM)Diablo Wrote: Well, we're out... Lol. To be honest all the promising teams are out like England, Spain and Italy. But in my opinion, that just makes the whole thing more interesting!

Who's everyone else rooting for?

Personally rooting for any European team, the Netherlands first then Germany.
It just reflects how poorly England have done this World Cup. USA (all credit to them) are not well known for their soccer, though they may be passionate about it. Second in their group consisting on Portugal, Germany and Ghana, all superior teams, and Portugal and Ghana are out. England, ranked (7th?) in the world rankings come last in a group we really should've topped.
[Image: XDVtdgY.gif]
(06-26-2014, 07:22 PM)Devin Wrote:
(06-25-2014, 05:16 PM)Diablo Wrote: Well, we're out... Lol. To be honest all the promising teams are out like England, Spain and Italy. But in my opinion, that just makes the whole thing more interesting!

It just reflects how poorly England have done this World Cup. USA (all credit to them) are not well known for their soccer, though they may be passionate about it. Second in their group consisting on Portugal, Germany and Ghana, all superior teams, and Portugal and Ghana are out. England, ranked (7th?) in the world rankings come last in a group we really should've topped.

No way we would have ever topped that group. The rankings are quite honestly bullshit and hardly ever representative of the actual skill of international teams. Going into the tournament I didn't expect us to leave the group (low expectations yay!) but if we did it would have been 2nd to Italy tbh. Real surprise was Costa Rica topping it.

I can't see Brazil winning though, their defence has look shoddy despite having world class defenders. Netherlands or Germany for me.
(06-26-2014, 08:37 PM)Adman Wrote:

No way we would have ever topped that group. The rankings are quite honestly bullshit and hardly ever representative of the actual skill of international teams. Going into the tournament I didn't expect us to leave the group (low expectations yay!) but if we did it would have been 2nd to Italy tbh. Real surprise was Costa Rica topping it.

I can't see Brazil winning though, their defence has look shoddy despite having world class defenders. Netherlands or Germany for me.

Realistically, with the quality of players we have, we should have topped it. Italy and Uruguay are both mediocre teams. But we're England so hey, 'Expect the best, prepare for the worst.'
(06-26-2014, 08:37 PM)Adman Wrote:

You mean Netherlands, not germany. They don't play that good imo. Finals will be Netherlands vs Argintinia
Maybe, will probably expect a repeat of 2010 where the Netherlands got away with kung fu kicks to the chest.
The following 2 users Like Rain's post:
  • mgdwszx, Weecow
(06-26-2014, 08:55 PM)Devin Wrote: Realistically, with the quality of players we have, we should have topped it. Italy and Uruguay are both mediocre teams. But we're England so hey, 'Expect the best, prepare for the worst.'

Players that are 'quality' on paper true but if there is one thing I've learned it's that we never get them to play well together. Rooney despite being great for club has really been nothing but disappointment for country all these years.
(06-27-2014, 06:03 AM)Adman Wrote:
(06-26-2014, 08:55 PM)Devin Wrote: Realistically, with the quality of players we have, we should have topped it. Italy and Uruguay are both mediocre teams. But we're England so hey, 'Expect the best, prepare for the worst.'

Players that are 'quality' on paper true but if there is one thing I've learned it's that we never get them to play well together. Rooney despite being great for club has really been nothing but disappointment for country all these years.

I agree with that. He doesn't perform on the international stage.
The following 1 user Likes mgdwszx's post:
  • Adman
Updated to last group stage results.
Last 16 coming up!
None of the fixtures are really very exciting, but hopefully we're in for a few shockers.

EDIT: Well f*ck me I was wrong. What a game Chile v Brazil, shame it had to end like it did with a Schweinsteiger.
Are you kidding me? Have you seen Rodriguez's goal in the Colombia v Uruguay game? One of the best goals Iv ever seen.
You Dutch are lucky. Damn I thought Mexico would take that one.