Blood Types
"2. If a mother has blood type B and her child has blood type 0;
What does the father then posses? Make a crossing scheme."

I've done these in High School Biology, so allow me to help you out. '

This is indeed a case of Mendelian inheritance (I'd think, can't think of it being anything else), but instead of the recessive/dominant gene-pair, Blood type is one of the aspects of a human that is inherited via Co-affection of the two genes inherited.

In short, both genes contribute, instead of the other one directly ruling over the outcome. Now, to the task itself.

A blood type "B" will appear if the Gene pairs are either of the following, it doesn't matter which parent they are from:
1. B and B
2. B and 0

Because the Child has the bloodtype of 0, which is only possible with an inherited a genotype:
0 and 0

Because the child has to inherit an 0-gene from their mother to be of the 0-bloodtype, there's no other choice for the mother's genotype as:
B and 0, out of which the child inherits the 0-part.

To be of 0-bloodtype, the child needs to inherit ANOTHER 0-gene from their father. Therefore, the possible genotypes for the father are ANY that include AT LEAST one 0-gene, because the child will RANDOMLY inherit either one. :

1. A and 0
2. B and 0
3. 0 and 0

With the aforementioned genotypes, there IS A POSSIBILITY OF THE CHILD INHERITING TWO 0-GENES, ONE FROM EACH PARENT.

Therefore, you'll need to make a total of 3 crossing schemes. ^^

I hope that helped, I tried to make it as understandable as possible. Cool

EDIT: It's also relatively easy to put these in a cross scheme. Have the mothers genes in a vertical column, and the fathers in a horizontical one, and add them together! Allow me to demonstrate. In this case, the father has the Genotype A and 0:

A 0

B [AB] [B0]

0 [A0] [00] <- This is what you need to establish, the possibility of inheriting an 0-Bloodtype.

Now, just do the following to the other possible genotypes of the father and you're done!

Messages In This Thread
Blood Types - by StillAlive - 12-14-2011, 09:43 PM
RE: Blood Types - by Biowulf - 12-14-2011, 09:46 PM
RE: Blood Types - by StillAlive - 12-14-2011, 09:48 PM
RE: Blood Types - by Biowulf - 12-14-2011, 09:52 PM
RE: Blood Types - by Nudelholz - 12-14-2011, 09:53 PM
RE: Blood Types - by StillAlive - 12-14-2011, 10:31 PM
RE: Blood Types - by Iban - 12-14-2011, 10:39 PM
RE: Blood Types - by StillAlive - 12-14-2011, 11:09 PM