Finally getting a new PC (Well, I hope so)
Well 'overclocking' is a term for increasing the clock speeds on the CPU by adjusting the multiplier to a higher level, sometimes motherboards have built in stock 'overclocking', where it will push one core to a higher clock speed if you hit a switch or press a button on the motherboard itself. Most people try to overclock to increase there performance such as program load time, response time, etc. Overclocking can be dangerous as it can fry your whole rig, if you dont watch the Voltage level and temperature. Though as long as you're not pushing the limits too far, then you will often be safe adjusting it teeny bits at a time.

An Example like so, you're stock clock speeds are around maybe 3.3 Ghz (per say), by adjusting the settings through the motherboard or through a program on your PC, you can adjust the multiplier to the point where it runs at around 3.9 Ghz. You get a small boost in performance when its comes to programs, writing data, etc. Though in exchange, you receive more heat through the heat die on your CPU fan and a CPU can handle lets say 125 Celsius. So overclocking can be a decent thing in moderation, though I would not suggest doing it.

You should be fine with the stock speeds on your CPU. Intel has good quality processors, if you want to spend the money for it. An Intel processor can last you ages and still be a decent CPU especially with the hyperthreading that Intel offers on select CPU's that have 4 physical cores and 4 virtual cores. (Some people like to think its 8 cores, but in reality, all 4 cores share resources instead of running everything on one core and then pouring over to another one.) Not to mention that Intel is specifically tiered above AMD in gaming and developing performance. Im personally an AMD guy, I like to the performance to price ratio, but overall you get a great product with that Intel CPU. You'll have to tell me how it runs when you buy it.
The following 1 user Likes wweee2345's post:
  • Ruskin

Messages In This Thread
RE: Finally getting a new PC (Well, I hope so) - by wweee2345 - 06-06-2012, 05:11 PM