[Development] Dev needs to be optimised
(05-14-2021, 01:43 PM)h3x Wrote: I don’t think shell access is really needed plus just because you can script Lua doesn’t mean you know your way around a shell, especially since it’s all managed via docker, could FTP servers be setup inside the docker containers instead for security? That way devs don’t get access to the dedi’s full filesystem, just the gmod server directory

Looking at the sheer amount of times features of the "correct git flow" (for example LFS) simply fail to work just proves that sometimes you need to log in with a shell and pull changes forcefully. It is also ironic how for years developers, who invest their freetime into trying to make FL better, always have to fight against distrust, while apparently developers who actually abused their powers to great extent still get a 2nd chance in one of the highest positions. It just doesn't quite make sense to me.

Also, I can vouch for at least 3 current developers (and even more if we included retired ones) that are well able to use shells. If you genuinely only know Lua and have never touched another programming language and system infrastructure before, I'm not sure one is even fitted for the developer rank. Yes, in enterprise-level companies you require developers who only know one specific area, and thus it is fine there. But as mentioned previously, FL is so far from enterprise, and developers literally need to be experienced in so many areas. I remember when FLs harddrive crashed and Conn (I think it was him) had to literally spent days trying everything to restore any data, and actually succeeded.
Kind Regards,
TASSIA
Fearless Developer
The following 6 users Like TASSIA's post:
  • Conn, Suarez, Pollux, GeoxAreBad, Lewwings, max.

Messages In This Thread
RE: [Development] Dev needs to be optimised - by TASSIA - 05-14-2021, 02:08 PM