[Development] Dev needs to be optimised
(05-12-2021, 09:14 PM)ScriptedBrain Wrote:
h3x Wrote:The server application panel(pterodactyl)/Docker containers/SFTP needs to be accessible to all developers. If a community member is trusted with the application code that runs FL, why are they not trusted with access to the servers? This creates arguments and disgruntlements. Someone hired to write application code for you should be able to understand the backend systems. Otherwise, this creates bugs.

I strongly disagree.

Server management is a totally different branch, and does not belong to development. It's a separate set of skills and knowledge not every developer possesses. In order to serve a server to the public, you need to know the ins and outs of Linux and its security hazards. Which requires a decent amount of experience working with it. A developer should only have to worry about the code, DevOps developers handles the server setup and access to the public. Which is how it should be managed, and how it is managed now.

I strongly disagree with your strong disagreement.

I think everyone who has worked with the gamemode before knows how unstable it is and that it has a tendency to crash frequently. This alone requires devs to at least kill and restart servers, in case the so-called "DevOps developers" are unavailable, e.g. because it's 4 AM.

But that's not even the main reason I disagree. Developers (in case of them being active, so excluding you) spent lots of their freetime working for this community and receive basically no payment. So it's even more important to keep developers motivated. Restricting them in everything hurts this in my opinion. I remember the struggle of being unable to fix various bugs on the website because I simply had no access to it, and the developers having access were inactive.

I'm also not sure about your "ticketing system". Yes, it's important to properly test and get approvals for big updates, however, I think that is really unnecessary for minor updates or bug fixes and only hurts the development workflow and motivation of developers. Something I can see you benefit from, is having a GitHub action that checks the code for syntax errors and blocks PRs from being merged if they contain any. But that is not a thing to this day, afaik.

To be fair, I think root access to all docker containers/VMs is not necessary. But panel access, restricted shell access and SFTP access should be a thing. Actually SFTP is only needed if you cannot access server files via the panel, or if you are still managing addons via SFTP.

While in enterprise it is important to have clear roles, I don't know anything that could be further from enterprise than FL. I think the way you are doing actually slowly kills active development.

(05-12-2021, 09:14 PM)ScriptedBrain Wrote:
(05-08-2021, 12:18 PM)Conn Wrote: whom both happen to be inactive a lot of the time.

S'cuse me, I am available 24 hours a day. And mostly respond within a 30min-2h timeframe.

[Image: p4VJHkd.png]
Kind Regards,
TASSIA
Fearless Developer
The following 3 users Like TASSIA's post:
  • Conn, Suarez, Lewwings

Messages In This Thread
RE: [Development] Dev needs to be optimised - by TASSIA - 05-14-2021, 12:12 PM