What's up with these inconsistent bans?
Hey guys! Tony here. I was just scrounging around the ban and blacklist pages and I have noticed some interesting trends. Why are players who do one thing getting banned for a month while players who do the same get banned for a day? These inconsistent bans are becoming more and more noticeable and I'm suggesting that there should be some regulation when it comes to ban times. Obviously there are many variables that come into play when banning a player, though I think a spreadsheet or something of the sort to minimize inconsistencies would be beneficial to the community.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
  Tony
[Image: J1zObHm.gif]
I am fairly sure they do have some kind of standards for this, but they're probably kept admin-only. I do not think it would hurt if these standards were made public, so that the players can better understand the reasoning behind the length of this ban. I must agree that inconsistency is a big deal. I can only assume there is a reason why some players have 15 bans and can still play and others had 9 and got a permanent suspension. If there is, i do not know it though. And that is exactly what makes it hard to understand that justification.
Just make the standards public, make sure they cover most cases in high detail so that they can be enforced properly and consistently.
The following 2 users Like Arkten's post:
  • Balls, Alphaverse
[Image: EOU1FvjXsAEkpYo.jpg]

[Image: andrew-tate-top-g.gif]
The following 3 users Like Ratatoskrr's post:
  • Adaviel, Falcon, JohnSilver
(07-21-2020, 02:02 PM)Arkten Wrote: I am fairly sure they do have some kind of standards for this, but they're probably kept admin-only. I do not think it would hurt if these standards were made public, so that the players can better understand the reasoning behind the length of this ban. I must agree that inconsistency is a big deal. I can only assume there is a reason why some players have 15 bans and can still play and others had 9 and got a permanent suspension. If there is, i do not know it though. And that is exactly what makes it hard to understand that justification.
Just make the standards public, make sure they cover most cases in high detail so that they can be enforced properly and consistently.

Pretty sure it's been stated publicly in the Google Forms survey a while ago there are no standards for bans, its based off a player to player basis. Most ban standards like a 24 hours ban for FearRP are just unspoken standards.

There are simply too many variables to not have standards. Like if a staff member is having a bad day irl then you're more likely to get a longer suspension due to them needing to take it out on someone.

Personal experience as being a staff member, I gave almost everyone the benefit of the doubt. In my opinion implementing a warning system (that others can check) would be an amazing idea, this would prevent players playing the fact other admins don't know what rules they may have broken that day and also add something of a consistency to bans.

Personally I do blame the grey areas within the rules which are literally up to admin interpretation, however re-writing rules takes an incredibly long time and is just unrealistic with the current rules knowledge of the staff team. Especially on doomforting and what counts as a valid reason to kill someone or raid.
The following 6 users Like Ranger's post:
  • TheSiphon, Falcon, Kappatalist, Ducktard, Dimitris, Arkten
(07-22-2020, 04:10 AM)Ranger Wrote:
(07-21-2020, 02:02 PM)Arkten Wrote: I am fairly sure they do have some kind of standards for this, but they're probably kept admin-only. I do not think it would hurt if these standards were made public, so that the players can better understand the reasoning behind the length of this ban. I must agree that inconsistency is a big deal. I can only assume there is a reason why some players have 15 bans and can still play and others had 9 and got a permanent suspension. If there is, i do not know it though. And that is exactly what makes it hard to understand that justification.

Pretty sure it's been stated publicly in the Google Forms survey a while ago there are no standards for bans, its based off a player to player basis. Most ban standards like a 24 hours ban for FearRP are just unspoken standards.

There are simply too many variables to not have standards. Like if a staff member is having a bad day irl then you're more likely to get a longer suspension due to them needing to take it out on someone.

Personal experience as being a staff member, I gave almost everyone the benefit of the doubt. In my opinion implementing a warning system (that others can check) would be an amazing idea, this would prevent players playing the fact other admins don't know what rules they may have broken that day and also add something of a consistency to bans.

Personally I do blame the grey areas within the rules which are literally up to admin interpretation, however re-writing rules takes an incredibly long time and is just unrealistic with the current rules knowledge of the staff team. Especially on doomforting and what counts as a valid reason to kill someone or raid.

You are literally spot on. I was recently blacklisted for something that I had been told you are allowed to do by other staff members. I get told by midget to act I  a certain way that I had been told by others is powergaming. And no one cares to do anything about it.
i came on one day, killed a guy and got a 6 month ban from so little kiddie, others get 2 hour blacklist,

/shrug
[Image: kqzQP5O.png]