My ideas for the gamemode
(11-23-2019, 03:38 PM)ryan! Wrote:
(11-23-2019, 03:10 PM)Pollux Wrote: We're not that small to have our own category, on a full server we show up pretty close or even on the first page of gamemode results. We can also still get a full server, as shown by spikes we have after an update and from events. If we were to put ourselves into DarkRP we're fighting with thousands of servers. Due to how the gamemode listing works we may not even show up at all unless people refresh a ton due to the amount of servers in there. The gamemode listing is also a lot nicer than the individual server one.

We can't keep a full server or there would be no discussion here. And your point works both ways, if we could keep a full server we would not get buried in the DarkRP category either way. 

Right now we don't show up at all. The screenshot you posted is of Russian servers. No one who is going to be looking for a server to join is going to join a Russian server who isn't Russian. If we have ~40 people and with English in the title of the server, we will be a lot more visible than with 40 people while sitting 10 scrolls down the gamemode listing. 

We are a DarkRP with more rules, stop acting like this is a huge jump. I have played on a lot of DarkRPs. We can add "semi-serious" in the title then it isn't misleading. We can have the loading screen explain the rules and how semi-serious servers work, so that people who don't want to roleplay will stop loading in.  

Give me 3 differences from Fearless to DarkRP that isn't just the rules or added content that DarkRP servers could also add. The only 2 I can think of is f1 vs f4 menus and having a gravity gun instead of hands. Help me out maybe I am a stupid idiot.

Even with 20 players we're on the second-third scroll of gamemode and it stands out more. There's not that many gamemodes as DarkRP, TTT and all the popular ones take most of gmods playerbase. 20 players in the DarkRP section? Good luck ever being found.

We're fundamentally different than DarkRP. We've intentionally tried to make ourselves different from DarkRP whenever we can and now we want to switch to that category? DarkRP is a lightRP gamemode with a very small focus on RP and more on very casual gameplay. It's also designed to be extremely easy for new players with almost no learning curve. We're way more complicated than that, it's pretty hard for newer players to get going on FL due to the heavier focus on RP and stricter standard than DarkRP. It's not a gamemode you can join and just have a fun casual experience which is almost "messing around". DarkRP also has much better performance and more slots than us, we can't compete in that area at all. They're also a lot more content heavy in areas such as vehicles and weapons, while we're focused on props for building. It's hard to compare us to DarkRP because we're simply not DarkRP. It's too different to do a direct comparison.
Pollux
Fearless Management
bork
I had what I believed to be a decent idea a fair amount of time ago and discussed it with several members of staff and they happened to like it, but never acted upon it as the server wasn't in too bad of a state.

Here's a slightly altered version of the idea I had to suit our situation right now:

• The map is switched to littletown with a population cap of 50/60
  • The gamemode actually complies with the fact it is a 'little town' and therefore gets rid of unneeded jobs. e.g. SRU is gone, there is only one mayor (opposed to two presidents), corleone and rebel are removed and replaced with 'Underground': to which its leader can customize the job title. etc.
  • A lot of the cars can be removed, not only logically to suit the tiny size of the map but to help with FPS.
  • StormFox can be added again to highly improve immersion and realism to assist actually roleplaying in a City-like environment. I actually notice more RP with a weather mod, whether it be an indirect cause or not. FPS won't be an issue anyway with this map and with less content.
To give some context, I came up with this idea of a town-like FL:RP as an addition to FL's City RP as a second server for people that genuinely enjoy RP and like to actually get into a character whether it be aggressive or passive: it's all RP.

This is just one little idea I came up with as an extra server in addition to our normal City RP server, however, now it can actually work to bring back some people and get RP started again.

I'll make another post in regards to what should happen in regards to the entire community later on.
The following 2 users Like Grape's post:
  • konsta, Kappatalist
Ive been wanting to have parked cars removed after 5 minutes for ages,
Especially broken ones
The following 1 user Likes Forgee's post:
  • L Y N C H Y
(11-23-2019, 08:54 AM)SoulRipper Wrote: Back in the days I always was very keen on the required downloadable content. For years I've limited it to around 750MB. Many people disliked my limitation because they thought: the more content, the better. I agree with that and it would be a shame to remove the content that we're now used to have. But I've been thinking about the following idea:

The premise that more content increases player interest and in turn player-count cannot be disputed, however, I would make the argument that the term "content" often is used too much in collaboration with materials and models. 
A good update is not defined merely in relation to it's visual appeal; they are rather defined in terms of the actual role-play value created. 

Therefore, I make the argument that high polygon models and downloadable content should be a kept to a minimum to increase server performance and decrease the download time for new players.

I refer back to a different time; when all the car models was of a lower polygon value, except for the Lamborghini. In this time there was little complaints of the "low quality models", as these models relative to the map texture quality and playermodels played a big part in player immersion. 

I make the claim that the visual appearance of the game-mode is not relevant to most players, especially not newcomers.
[Image: h2.png]
Visit my profile here.
The following 2 users Like Haarek's post:
  • Lewwings, ryan!
V2D back bois!!! Finally someone in the staff team who is willing to put FPS over some shitty looking map.
The following 2 users Like User 12049's post:
  • Grape, Dimitris
I like the ideas tbh.
The only things that I disagree on are:
Removing Vehicles after 5 minutes (Will limit RP an would make stealing cars unseless)
Givin trusted Players No clip. (really easy to be abused and there is a build server for that)
But I would give all the other ideas a shot and maybe even bring back the content limit. You had to be creative to have a nice build and now there is a prop for everything and only a small hand full of players use those props to build..

Oh and I also like the Idea to bring back V2d pog
(11-24-2019, 03:35 PM)Pollux Wrote:
(11-23-2019, 03:38 PM)ryan! Wrote:
(11-23-2019, 03:10 PM)Pollux Wrote: We're not that small to have our own category, on a full server we show up pretty close or even on the first page of gamemode results. We can also still get a full server, as shown by spikes we have after an update and from events. If we were to put ourselves into DarkRP we're fighting with thousands of servers. Due to how the gamemode listing works we may not even show up at all unless people refresh a ton due to the amount of servers in there. The gamemode listing is also a lot nicer than the individual server one.

We can't keep a full server or there would be no discussion here. And your point works both ways, if we could keep a full server we would not get buried in the DarkRP category either way. 

Right now we don't show up at all. The screenshot you posted is of Russian servers. No one who is going to be looking for a server to join is going to join a Russian server who isn't Russian. If we have ~40 people and with English in the title of the server, we will be a lot more visible than with 40 people while sitting 10 scrolls down the gamemode listing. 

We are a DarkRP with more rules, stop acting like this is a huge jump. I have played on a lot of DarkRPs. We can add "semi-serious" in the title then it isn't misleading. We can have the loading screen explain the rules and how semi-serious servers work, so that people who don't want to roleplay will stop loading in.  

Give me 3 differences from Fearless to DarkRP that isn't just the rules or added content that DarkRP servers could also add. The only 2 I can think of is f1 vs f4 menus and having a gravity gun instead of hands. Help me out maybe I am a stupid idiot.

Even with 20 players we're on the second-third scroll of gamemode and it stands out more. There's not that many gamemodes as DarkRP, TTT and all the popular ones take most of gmods playerbase. 20 players in the DarkRP section? Good luck ever being found.

We're fundamentally different than DarkRP. We've intentionally tried to make ourselves different from DarkRP whenever we can and now we want to switch to that category? DarkRP is a lightRP gamemode with a very small focus on RP and more on very casual gameplay. It's also designed to be extremely easy for new players with almost no learning curve. We're way more complicated than that, it's pretty hard for newer players to get going on FL due to the heavier focus on RP and stricter standard than DarkRP. It's not a gamemode you can join and just have a fun casual experience which is almost "messing around". DarkRP also has much better performance and more slots than us, we can't compete in that area at all. They're also a lot more content heavy in areas such as vehicles and weapons, while we're focused on props for building. It's hard to compare us to DarkRP because we're simply not DarkRP. It's too different to do a direct comparison.

It all honestly makes so much sense that you started on Hl2RP. This server isn't meant to have some huge skill gap where only the best of the best can get on and RP. Fearless is a barely Semi-serious RP server. Almost 80% of the interactions that happen between players are not in character. Your view of Fearless I think is so far from what the server actually is that I truly think you shouldn't be a contributor. The skill gap for a new player joining Fearless is telling them what FailRP/NLR/RDM is. FailRP is the only part not enforced on DarkRP (and not really enforced on Fearless). The fact that you think fearless shouldn't be pushing towards a "fun casual experience" is insane. Almost every cop walks around with m4's pointed out, most people walk around with physgun out, and now people casual run around mining. This server is SOOO far from the Serious RP you want, its a stretch to even call it semi-serious. And you need to come to grips with that or resign. 

The performance is a nonissue, DarkRP server lag like shit too. And only the top top DarkRP servers have over 100 slots so idk what you are on about there. And saying they are more focused on cars and guns makes no sense. So the average DarkRP player will not like Fearless because we have more props? We have more cars than literally ever DarkRP server???
[Image: SEYlcy8.png]
(11-24-2019, 03:35 PM)Pollux Wrote: Even with 20 players we're on the second-third scroll of gamemode and it stands out more. There's not that many gamemodes as DarkRP, TTT and all the popular ones take most of gmods playerbase. 20 players in the DarkRP section? Good luck ever being found.

There are many different points you have brought up to argue changing category, however, these points aren't rooted in any good understanding in:  

A: How people browse servers in gmod
B: What people expect when joining a server
C: The term semi-serious
D: The incredible downside of not being in the DarkRP section
E: The incredible advantage of player count sorting present in a populated gamemode section. 

If you do not understand these 5 points there is no point in discussing as your arguments don't make any sense.

Point D and E is of particular interest: 

The incredible downsize of not being in the DarkRP section is mainly due to immense amount of gamemodes constantly loading. Not only are we low down on the list, the list is constantly being refreshed with new gamemodes. CityRP is constantly moving around on the list because of it. The most natural way to dispute this is to blatantly claim everyone pushes "Stop refresh"; this is not the case.

Since the DarkRP section is the most popular we can assume people browsing the section is interested in roleplay. Therefore, when a person is browsing the section he is more than likely interested in the general concept of a roleplay server and not necessarily only DarkRP. 

Saying a person entering the DarkRP section is solely interested in DarkRP is like walking into an ice-cream parlor and freak out when discovering they are also selling cakes. Your argument is nonsensical.

Now we have settled that a player is interested in the general concept of roleplay and not solely on DarkRP. We can most likely also conclude that the person looking for a server wants a decently populated one.

The incredible power of player count sorting present in the DarkRP section should be inherent; the person sorts all the DarkRP servers in order of population

A server that has 25 - 75 players will be easy to find in the DarkRP section.
[Image: h2.png]
Visit my profile here.
or just switch to fivem?
[Image: gn3iiwj]
(11-26-2019, 10:36 AM)Julern Wrote: or just switch to fivem?

Good concept but low return on investment