[Guide] Identity
This text analyses role play and makes some simple guidelines. If you want to try out live action role play, this is also a good text to start with.

I've been playing role play for 9 years now and I've been to a lot of live scenarios and role plays through the years.

What is roleplay?:

Roleplay is basically a theater without a script.

However to get a good roleplay working is it needed some analysing of how to play on from the others perspective.

It's called improvising:

You do something, that's not really planned as a book. You make the plot while you play. Ofcourse it needs some experience from all the players, since it's a higher step of role play

Character Sheets:

For the bigger roleplays you normally need to write a character. A good character sheet that contains:

Name
Age(If it has relevance)

Background: What happened to this person. Why did he arrive to town? Did he get there with a friend or another person? This is normally the biggest part of a character sheet. Normally fills one A4 paper.

behaviour: Always on the move, easy amused and etc.

Good sites: Lucky, Good shooter, etc.

Bad sites: Not working leg, phobia for something,blind and etc.

For a really advanced character sheet:
[Image: vtm2nd.jpg]

That picture is for the Vampire The Masquerade by White Wolf.

However you don't normally use a character sheet for role plays in Garry's mod. Mostly live role play or pen'n paper.

Role play guidelines:
These guidelines will be sat as rules, however when you feel experienced enough you can go out of the box:

1:Never think role play is shoot someone and run away. Always describe to the person why you want to kill him and describe how you kill him Ex: ”I slowly took the knife to his ear, as i licked it, before i made my ritual.”. Never just shoot the person and run away.

2: Always make your character before playing it!. It's very important to do this, as a new role player.
It would also be a good idea to memorize(Behaviour is really important) your character.

3:If playing, lets say a mental patient. It's really hard to play a weird character for several hours.
However when you play a weird character, be sure to keep it weird, and not messed up.

4:If someone is playing unexpected, begin to improvise and play your character as good as possible.

5: Never think "what would i do in this situation", but think ”What would my character do in this situation”

6: Always make a character, were you can obey the rules of the server.

7: Be prepared to lose. It is needed to make role play.

8: Never think of weapons, as weapons. Think of them, like an extra detail. The more details a roleplay has, the funnier is it

9: Always play the stereotypical part of a role. For example, if you play a gangster, be a bit angry and act a bit tough.

10: If you play on you have a deep secret, don't do what most players do and not talk about it. Spread the word a bit, so rumors can be heard.In that way all can be in your act.

11: Never stop a role play by talking in local OOC, unless it's clearly a mistake(You are stuck, lag spike, or etc.) However it's awesome to play on something that is a mistake.

12: Never ruin a roleplay by askiong something to a person in real life("Were do you live IRL?" ect.)

13: Never think of the role play to be a game. Think of it, as a drama act

14: Never just say no to other role plays than yours.
Example Random guy, thats running up to you: "Sam, is that really you?"
You: "What the hell are you talking about. You aren't my friend"
This a big mistake. Only do this if his description is "Insane" or close to that. That way you can role play on the description aswell.

15: Don't lock yourself away. Meet people and talk to them. It's the best way to start a role play scene.

How to make a scenario:
Think about a scene like a movie. However this kind of role play, is only used to allow a player to be the main character of the film.

In role play, there's no such thing like a main character, only more needed characters.
For example, you don't need a clown in a sci-fi role play.

But if you wish to make a scene, be aware, that you aren't going to be the main plot. Only the character that you make a scene for, since he don't know what the roleplay is about.
What you need is a handful of players that know what will happen.

They play the ”NPC's”. They aren't really the role player, only a role wich is a plot starter.
Then make the scene exiting by detailing the area a lot. For example if you are going to a house, make it for example, nice or creepy. Depends on how the main theme of the scene is.

Do note, that the more planned the scenario is, the better will it be, but be prepared to the main character to change the plot.

A few extra things will be added to this, later on.

If I could vote for such thing, I would vote for a sticky! Very good guide, but the link doesn't work. It gives a 404-error.
© Nudelholz
Fix'd
New beginners?
[Image: P6KNEfH.png]           .       
Steam | Twitter | YouTube
Signature graphic by Barkles
I know it's saying itself two times, but no matter. :3
Would be great if people actually roleplayed like that, really rarely that people actually use /me's and /it's on a DarkRP or CityRP.
(08-15-2013, 08:10 PM)Wiseguy Wrote: Would be great if people actually roleplayed like that, really rarely that people actually use /me's and /it's on a DarkRP or CityRP.

Are you like....browsing through old threads and reply to them?