[Solved]necroposting
At what point of time can you call it Necroposting?
(Like 4 months / 2 months)?
I'm going to quote another users post on the matter, i edited one word

How old should a thread be before it is considered “dead”?
This depends on the thread and the forum it is in. Some things to consider:
-Has the initial question been resolved?
-Is the subject no longer relevant?
-Is the thread relatively old? If the original poster was asking for help, they're probably not watching it anymore if it's over a month old.

Is it ever okay to necropost?
Yes. If you believe you have something to add to the subject that no one else has mentioned, and the topic is still relevant or unresolved, you can give your input; it may spark new discussion! However, do some searching and make sure the subject hasn't been resolved or continued on somewhere else since then. In addition, some topics, such as suggestion threads, are never too old to post in. Since those are there for you to give feedback, rather than hold a discussion, you can always leave a comment for the maker. There's nothing like bringing a great project that has been forgotten back into the light. "
[Image: 10WI43J.gif?1]
(08-09-2016, 08:17 AM)King Kickass Wrote: I'm going to quote another users post on the matter, i edited on word

-Is the thread relatively old? If the original poster was asking for help, they're probably not watching it anymore if it's over a month old.

Yes. If you believe you have something to add to the subject that no one else has mentioned, and the topic is still relevant or unresolved, you can give your input; it may spark new discussion! However, do some searching and make sure the subject hasn't been resolved or continued on somewhere else since then. In addition, some topics, such as suggestion threads, are never too old to post in. Since those are there for you to give feedback, rather than hold a discussion, you can always leave a comment for the maker. There's nothing like bringing a great project that has been forgotten back into the light. "

Thanks
Well considering it isn't a rule it shouldn't be enforced....

Or at least it wasn't a rule before.

Wouldn't bumping suggestions or commenting on old ones be necroposting lol ?
[Image: giphy.gif]
(08-09-2016, 08:19 AM)Marty Wrote: Well considering it isn't a rule it shouldn't be enforced....

Or at least it wasn't a rule before.

Wouldn't bumping suggestions or commenting on old ones be necroposting lol ?

Even though it isn't explicitly stated in the rules, it's standard etiquette on forums. The example you gave wouldn't be "necroposting" in the negative sense, since you're bringing people's attention back to an old suggestion that hasn't been given a verdict yet.

King Kickass gives a good post. There's no specific time limit, it all depends on an individual circumstance it only really needs a bit of common sense.
Regards,
aviator
But you can't say "common sense" etc etc when everyone has different interpretations.
(08-09-2016, 08:45 AM)Marty Wrote: But you can't say "common sense" etc etc when everyone has different interpretations.

Common sense is about what can be reasonably expected of nearly all people. It's a perfect way to describe this "rule" and just about every rule with ambiguity on the servers. Things in life aren't as black and white as people hope; every circumstance of necroposting can't be detailed, there's simply too many. Yes, a bit of common sense is required when posting on any old thread, you should really be asking yourself the questions on reply 2.

There's many examples on these forums, in my Aviation thread - Ivan Tempski posted in it despite no post being made for 2 years, yet it passes without issue because it brought fresh discussion. Plenty of suggestion threads. On these forums the main areas where necroposting comes into play would be like Help & Support, Newcomers, Off-Topic etc.

It's worth bearing in mind that the forum moderators don't go around warning people for posting in a thread that's two months old, hell even a year old. They use their brains themselves, asking the very same questions you should be when posting. It's simply not necessary to make a rule detailing precisely a cut off point - it doesn't work like that.
Regards,
aviator
(08-09-2016, 10:41 AM)aviator Wrote:
(08-09-2016, 08:45 AM)Marty Wrote: But you can't say "common sense" etc etc when everyone has different interpretations.

Common sense is about what can be reasonably expected of nearly all people. It's a perfect way to describe this "rule" and just about every rule with ambiguity on the servers. Things in life aren't as black and white as people hope; every circumstance of necroposting can't be detailed, there's simply too many. Yes, a bit of common sense is required when posting on any old thread, you should really be asking yourself the questions on reply 2.

There's many examples on these forums, in my Aviation thread - Ivan Tempski posted in it despite no post being made for 2 years, yet it passes without issue because it brought fresh discussion. Plenty of suggestion threads. On these forums the main areas where necroposting comes into play would be like Help & Support, Newcomers, Off-Topic etc.

It's worth bearing in mind that the forum moderators don't go around warning people for posting in a thread that's two months old, hell even a year old. They use their brains themselves, asking the very same questions you should be when posting. It's simply not necessary to make a rule detailing precisely a cut off point - it doesn't work like that.

Your right a cut off point in a rule would not make sense. However, no rule at all, for example there was simple nothing mentioned about Necroposting, I myself was aware of the rule however many others may not have been aware of it, thus it being wrong and immoral to actually punish someone for something that is not widely known, or is not actually made reference to throughout the rules.

If you follow me ?

I'm not advocating necroposting, it's true it's pointless however admins have done it to old newcomers post, hell even Soul done it if these things happen it leads players and members to believe that it is fine as they have seen senior members perform these actions without penalty and have seen nothing stating you cannot do it.
(08-09-2016, 11:00 AM)Marty Wrote: Your right a cut off point in a rule would not make sense. However, no rule at all, for example there was simple nothing mentioned about Necroposting, I myself was aware of the rule however many others may not have been aware of it, thus it being wrong and immoral to actually punish someone for something that is not widely known, or is not actually made reference to throughout the rules.

If you follow me ?

I'm not advocating necroposting, it's true it's pointless however admins have done it to old newcomers post, hell even Soul done it if these things happen it leads players and members to believe that it is fine as they have seen senior members perform these actions without penalty and have seen nothing stating you cannot do it.

Given that recently necroposting has become an issue, perhaps it would be wise to add it to the forum rules; though again - it'd still be ambiguous as in my previous post. However, it might help to avoid any debate when people get warned for necroposting.
Regards,
aviator
(08-09-2016, 08:17 AM)King Kickass Wrote: I'm going to quote another users post on the matter, i edited one word

Couldn't have said it better.

SIDENOTE:

I'll be bringing this up with the team regarding making a section with the official forum rules to avoid any future confusion.