Human Augmentation
Ok, many times on the server now people have been talking about augmentation.. And it's a very interesting topic. What's even more interesting is it's not just Deus Ex scifi crap, it's actually possible.. I mean..

We even have some today. Augmentation is simply augmenting the body, it doesn't need extreme augments like Jensen does. We have pacemakers, and cochlea implants, and all sorts now that augment the body. Prosthetic limbs, even a microchip to replace an optic nerve (the first human brain-computer interface).

The thing is, how do you people think this science is progressing? I think it's progressing a huge amount, I mean computer development is exponential - Computing power doubles every 2 years (Moore's Law). Similar numbers apply to technology, especially newish ones such as prosthetic limbs.

Take a look at this video...
WARNING FOR SQUEAMISH GIRLS: CONTAINS GRAPHIC SURGERY SCENE ON EYE DURING FIRST 20 SECONDS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW78wbN-WuU

This isn't just a marketing ploy for Deus Ex, it's genuine science and shows some truly amazing stuff. We're well within reaching Deus Ex'ey levels of augmentation soon.

Also, what do you personally think about augmentations? Do you support it and look forwards to the future, or do you opposite it? Is it against God, does it destroy our humanity?

Let's hear that chatter. Go.
The following 1 user Likes Faustie's post:
  • Ms. Mudpie
OMG, Just leave it man... And yes, I'm anti. Even for medical reasons.
Im nor for it or against it, im kinda neutral

I mean its a good thing to help those peoples who lost their limbs

But we shouldnt got to far.

Like its in Deus Ex creating weapons for those limbs
[Image: cuAfUK9.gif]
I like Flame's point,it would be good for people who really needs them but shouldn't be taken too far.
Well if it can save lives or help those who need it, then I of course support it.

But!

Those are the only situations where this should be used. I don't know if it's my moral values or something.. It just doesn't fit into our society. Way to futurish.
Soon we'll be seeing prosthetic arms and legs. Ones that are controlled by nerves and move naturally.

Don't know how soon exactly, but I can feel it.
[Image: P6KNEfH.png]           .       
Steam | Twitter | YouTube
Signature graphic by Barkles
(11-17-2011, 04:35 PM)Sir Raffi Wrote: Soon we'll be seeing prosthetic arms and legs. Ones that are controlled by nerves and move naturally.

Don't know how soon exactly, but I can feel it.

Like a month ago I read in New Scientist they had developed a new nanomaterial. It acted and contracted exactly like muscle fibres perfectly replicating the movement, except it was many many times stronger than steel and could contract or lift 200x its weight.

I imagine they'll be researching that more.. Imagine if that went into a prosthetic, they'd have some serious power.
(11-17-2011, 06:47 PM)Faustie Wrote: Like a month ago I read in New Scientist they had developed a new nanomaterial. It acted and contracted exactly like muscle fibres perfectly replicating the movement, except it was many many times stronger than steel and could contract or lift 200x it's weight.

I imagine they'll be researching that more.. Imagine if that went into a prosthetic, they'd have some serious power.
Imagine combining this with replicated human intelligence.

ot: Also, its*
Wups didn't notice my mistake :/ Fixed it now, everything is good.
Smile
Ha.

It sucks being picky.