New FL dedi
(10-21-2011, 02:44 PM)Shadow Wrote: Yeah you will, everyone will since it is generally a better dedi Cheese
It would actually increase the ping, being that ping is the response time between your ISP to the server. Getting a New Dedi doesnt really help with your ping, BUT it does increase server performance. Server location and how fast the Internet line determines the ping. Perfect Example is, I live on the East Coast of the U.S and on the southern end as well. My ping to my local server is going to range from 1-30 MS, while if I were to try to connect to a server in UK no matter what Im going to get a ping ranging from 150-250.

Xeon CPU's are generally strong and powerful, but the price is expensive.Honestly if you wanted to spend the money, you could go for a much faster CPU and get the i7 Extreme 6-core, which I believe runs at about 3-3.5 ghz overclocked. Liquid Cooling if you can get it, is the best for cooling system. SSD drives are generally going to be your best bet for data transfer speeds. As well when buying RAM, you could as well check and buy a higher mhz RAM, common would probably be around 1333 mhz to 1666 mhz. As well best amount of RAM, is around 8GB to 12 GB for better performance. As well you FBS could account for performance as well. Battery Backup is another choice, but not absolutely necessary. As well you can account for OS, generally Linux is a lot faster then Windows, but Windows is basically idiot proof. Linux you'd have to learn some command line and you could easily SSH into it or use a remote access program and control it remotely from home. Same thing can be done with Windows, just generally slower.
<3 Soul
Dare to think!
(10-22-2011, 06:18 AM)wweee2345 Wrote: *snip*

Liquid cooling is a bad idea for a server due to unreliability and the fact that if that shit leaks the server is dead and could damage other hardware below it in the rack.

Overclocking a server is another bad idea for two reasons. It puts more heat into the equation and reduces the stability of the server.
yeah i agree with boolean. besides with quality hardware overheating isn't going to be much of an issue to begin with especially with decent fans and a good case with nice air flow. IMO a sandybridge or other quad/six core cpu, 8-12gb of some nice ddr3 ram with heatsinks, a SSD drive (one SSD > 2 HDD in raid, because an SSD isn't going to fail in the first place), a quality motherboard, and a nice set of fans and you're pretty much set. Shouldn't have any problems with a rig like that.
Does the amsterdam data center have DoS Protection? That would be cool.
(10-22-2011, 04:36 PM)komar1234 Wrote: Does the amsterdam data center have DoS Protection? That would be cool.

DOS is rather weak, not really enough to take down a server without a strong internet connection with x>40 MBS line (At minimum and considering the server is only on a 100 MBS port).

DDOS on the other hand is more powerful due to the increased zombie usage and with the increase ease of access to buying a botnet and/or using RAT's as a more anonymous source, in which you get variation of attack. It would depend on which server ports are attacked and how long they are attacked. Really in a general standpoint, DDOS itself is quite ineffective, as it takes no more then barring the internet connection for a small period of 30-60s and the attack would be quickly nullified. Running a server requires constant attention and maintenance otherwise you lose the upper hand in efficiency and after a general amount of time your clients.

Overclocking was just a mention, seeming that every Computer Manufacturer offers it now. Air cooling is all fine and dandy, but with the fans being reduced in size to reduce sound, you tend to find newer systems will overheat faster than the older ones. If your wanting to do air cooling, youll need decent room temperature between 70-80 and a series of fans to keep a constant air flow.
(10-22-2011, 04:54 PM)wweee2345 Wrote: Air cooling is all fine and dandy, but with the fans being reduced in size to reduce sound, you tend to find newer systems will overheat faster than the older ones. If your wanting to do air cooling, youll need decent room temperature between 70-80 and a series of fans to keep a constant air flow.

Unless I've mis-interperated you, that's wrong, larger fans at lower rpm (same cfm) make less noise than smaller fans at higher rpm.

I also don't think sound is a design concern or problem with server chassis.