Poll: Is 'omg my neighbours are so gay' homophobic?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, definitely
13.41%
11 13.41%
No, of course not
76.83%
63 76.83%
Not sure
9.76%
8 9.76%
Total 82 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

What do you consider homophobic?
(03-22-2016, 03:26 AM)aDisabledDeer Wrote: Backing up Brikaas' point - I'm bi-sexual, and for the children that means I like both genders, and I wouldn't consider this anywhere near homophobic.

People are getting too politically correct nowadays, I think this blacklist is stupid - always have thought that.

I totally get your point, Deer. But there are far many other people with the same or different orientation as you.
Not everyone reacts the same to various words. I can say the N word in front of my Somalian colleague, he doesn't mind. That doesn't mean I can publicly use the same word where several other people can hear me (in this case, OOC). I have one homosexual friend who can describe things as "gay" or say the f-word, and another one who would beat someone down for saying things like that. It's an individual thing. 

I haven't done enough research to have a clear opinion about the blacklist itself, but I'm just saying that many things can be taken differently depending on the person. 
Nobody knows exactly everyone they're on the same server with, so just re-phrasing yourself or minding your language is probably for the better.
[Image: yk9I3Jg.png]
The following 4 users Like Infernaw's post:
  • Agorith, Grunt, goigle!, Link
(03-22-2016, 11:35 AM)Infernaw Wrote:
(03-22-2016, 03:26 AM)aDisabledDeer Wrote: Backing up Brikaas' point - I'm bi-sexual, and for the children that means I like both genders, and I wouldn't consider this anywhere near homophobic.

People are getting too politically correct nowadays, I think this blacklist is stupid - always have thought that.

I totally get your point, Deer. But there are far many other people with the same or different orientation as you.
Not everyone reacts the same to various words. I can say the N word in front of my Somalian colleague, he doesn't mind. That doesn't mean I can publicly use the same word where several other people can hear me (in this case, OOC). I have one homosexual friend who can describe things as "gay" or say the f-word, and another one who would beat someone down for saying things like that. It's an individual thing. 

I haven't done enough research to have a clear opinion about the blacklist itself, but I'm just saying that many things can be taken differently depending on the person. 
Nobody knows exactly everyone they're on the same server with, so just re-phrasing yourself or minding your language is probably for the better.

Precisely.

Not all people take offense when it comes down to discrimination, homophobic, racial or sexist slurs.
It's the fact that 50/50 does and does not that makes it a tricky situation, and led to you being punished for it.
You should've thought trough your sentencing before having made the statements that you made.

I understand your situation completely though but people have been punished for similar cases in the past.
The following 1 user Likes Agorith's post:
  • Grunt
(03-22-2016, 11:43 AM)Agorith Wrote:
(03-22-2016, 11:35 AM)Infernaw Wrote: snip

Precisely.

Not all people take offense when it comes down to discrimination, homophobic, racial or sexist slurs.
It's the fact that 50/50 does and does not that makes it a tricky situation, and led to you being punished for it.
You should've thought trough your sentencing before having made the statements that you made.

I understand your situation completely though but people have been punished for similar cases in the past.

"it's the fact that 50/50 does"
I think you mean 8% think it's homophobic, 80% don't.
I understand it is a tricky situation but if I had been given 30 more seconds it wouldn't have been any type of situation.
[Image: 2dlHdIE.png]

I did think through my sentencing. It was the best way I thought of at the time to put it in one sentence that would later be added on to.

Also, what similar cases?

(03-22-2016, 11:35 AM)Infernaw Wrote: Nobody knows exactly everyone they're on the same server with, so just re-phrasing yourself or minding your language is probably for the better.

Can you suggest better phrasing that would fit in the chat bar and maintain the original meaning of the sentence (the meaning is not discriminatory)?

Would it have been better if I said homosexual over gay?

"omg my neighbor are so homosexual" sounds pretty much the same to me, and it doesn't use what I would consider bad language (not that I consider 'gay' bad language)

This last bit goes to both replies:
People keep bringing up people that might have been offended. Had someone made an @ call or an OOC comment calling me out, I would accept my blacklist. This is not the case.

Think of it like this.
There's 5 black people on the server, the other 25 players (including me) are white.
I say "omg my roommate is black" when someone mentions they are "African American."
I get blacklisted instantly by a unaffected party [white admin], no one makes an @ call or OOC comment.

How does that make sense?
[Image: nypdcruiser.gif]
The following 1 user Likes goigle!'s post:
  • Random
(03-22-2016, 07:49 AM)Avgar Wrote: If it was a private conversation it would be a different situation, depending on whether others heard it or not. It most likely wouldn't warrant a blacklist in that case.

Also, if you can't add context to your statement and without context something can be considered in breach of rules without that context, then you shouldn't make that statement.

I could have add context to my statement (and was going to). This is a circular argument and not valid imo. Using what you are saying, I was breaking the rules because I was punished for breaking the rules.

I could add context until I couldn't because I was punished for not adding context.

Had I not been punished for breaking the rules, I wouldn't have been breaking the rules.

goigle: omg my neighbors are so gay
goigle: <adds context>

goigle: omg my neighbors are sogay
hitman blacklisted goigle
you cannot post in OOC while blacklisted
The following 2 users Like goigle!'s post:
  • aDisabledDeer, Random
(03-22-2016, 09:24 PM)goigle! Wrote:
(03-22-2016, 07:49 AM)Avgar Wrote: If it was a private conversation it would be a different situation, depending on whether others heard it or not. It most likely wouldn't warrant a blacklist in that case.

Also, if you can't add context to your statement and without context something can be considered in breach of rules without that context, then you shouldn't make that statement.

I could have add context to my statement (and was going to). This is a circular argument and not valid imo. Using what you are saying, I was breaking the rules because I was punished for breaking the rules.

I could add context until I couldn't because I was punished for not adding context.

Had I not been punished for breaking the rules, I wouldn't have been breaking the rules.

goigle: omg my neighbors are so gay
goigle: <adds context>

goigle: omg my neighbors are sogay
hitman blacklisted goigle
you cannot post in OOC while blacklisted

Simply putting "I can hear my neighbours having sex right now, omg my neighbours are so gay" would have added context and prevented modern day butthurt.

I think it was a bit hasty on Hitman's behalf to blacklist straight away but equally at the same time context should have been added at the start to prevent drama.
The following 1 user Likes Grunt's post:
  • goigle!
(03-22-2016, 11:02 PM)Grunt Wrote: Simply putting "I can hear my neighbours having sex right now, omg my neighbours are so gay" would have added context and prevented modern day butthurt.

I think it was a bit hasty on Hitman's behalf to blacklist straight away but equally at the same time context should have been added at the start to prevent drama.

I think your sentence could be considered more offensive. People could easily think the "omg" is said in a tone akin to "oh my god I am so <insert any swear word here> done with them" and then think the gay would be an insult. Especially with leading with the sex part, the sentence can easily have a tone of "look at what they're doing, fuck them"

I really can't see why waiting 30 seconds would have been such a big deal, it's not like the blacklist hid what I said (if anything it made it more visible).
I don't see why you'd have to point out their sexuality? You could've just called them annoying.
So if I hear two girls moan it on, do I have to point out: "omg they're so lesbian".
Of course not, because that makes no sense. I'm just gonna express how awkward I feel hearing my two neighbours getting it on?
[Image: yk9I3Jg.png]
I would post something interesting and of use regarding how the it can affect people who are homosexual or how people use the term "gay" or even slurs such as "***" in a joking way not even meaning to hurt someone who is of these sexualities but to be honest I am fucking boring and don't get offended by anything unlike most who if they heard a swear word they would flip their shit saying shit like: [Image: Bv6aB8H.gif]
and the few people on the server who have skin that is thicker than a grain of sand are sat there like:
[Image: Dave_22b7f7_5412915.gif]
and whole world wars kick off in OOC but they won't call then world wars because in world war 2 millions of jews lost their lives and everyone would go batshit crazy over it so that would be wrong so they find a really cool PC name for the new war like "flop fight" and they fight like this shit and nothing happens until someone thinks they've won:
[Image: What+internet+fights+look+like+just+2+re...264921.gif]

And the very few people who rarely join in on the shitfest arguments like I are sat here saying "well fucking done lads".

[Image: 14787225.gif]
Fuck I used a lot of gifs.

But honestly, my opinion is this; if you are gonna bring sexuality into a argument or call someone something that could be taken as a insult then just avoid doing it, it will just offend people and make you look like the bad guy. Myself I couldn't give a fuck if you said all the racial slurs under the sun and called me a homosexual but at the end of the day some people get their jimmies fairly rustled over things like that. 
The following 3 users Like Deleted User's post:
  • Grunt, Random, goigle!
(03-23-2016, 07:33 AM)Infernaw Wrote: I don't see why you'd have to point out their sexuality? You could've just called them annoying.
So if I hear two girls moan it on, do I have to point out: "omg they're so lesbian".
Of course not, because that makes no sense. I'm just gonna express how awkward I feel hearing my two neighbours getting it on?

It was relevant to the story I was about to tell:
http://www.fearlessrp.net/showthread.php...#pid526819
You would have seen how it was relevant had I been able to tell the story.
The story wasn't just about how it's awkward to hear them have sex, it's how if there's a noise complaint or something else (the story was about the something else IIRC) from another apt they pretend to not be gay.
Cheeki 81% there
[Image: CYCeH3i.png]
The following 1 user Likes Random's post:
  • goigle!